The "I didn't go well in my half yearlies" Thread (1 Viewer)

shuning

HSC
Re: I screwed up my half yearlies

i noe... i always blame myself for my lazyness. but meh.... i got an eco tutor the day b4 exam and it help me ALOT! so i guess a phys tutor would help ALOT too.....

coeyz

HSC

I mixed up the whole ideas when i was doing exam, I dont know if i was nervous or what..
like.. I have no clue why the hell I have talked about faradays law in galvanometer,
this is definitely wrong although i did talk about spring/pointer/other things else, the teacher not willing to give me any marks because she thinks my concept is wrong at the beginining.

and I said the radial field in galvanometer is letting the field always being perpendicular to the coil, so the torque is always maximum. This is the answer from the success one past paper book, i showed it to teacher and she said the book is wrong ....It should be parallel, not perpendicular, actually i understood this from the torque formulae cos180=1, cos90=0, but before exam i was confused by the success one book.. and end up i mixed up the whole ideas...

I dont think the trial is much different from half yearly exam.
In this exam which worths 25%
If i got 56, and people got 70. then our difference will be 7marks
If in the trial exam, which worths 40%,, then our difference will only be 6marks.
Half yearly exams are actually matter A LOT...:confused:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

nothing is impossible, just study and nail all the upcoming exams, you'll be fine... could climb up to the top 3 or even 1

coeyz

HSC

I did put in effort, maybe even more than others.
I didnt even sleep much before the exam..
I thought i did okay.. I dont know ..
My brain cant work properly during exams..
Im just not good at doing exams.
always lose one mark here and there..
urhh it breaks my heart.

dp624

HSC

I did put in effort, maybe even more than others.
I didnt even sleep much before the exam..
I thought i did okay.. I dont know ..
My brain cant work properly during exams..
Im just not good at doing exams.
always lose one mark here and there..
urhh it breaks my heart.
practice then! get someone to put you under exam conditions when doing past papers

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

this is how u failed..... make sure u get plenty of sleep b4 the exam.

cuz u didnt get enough sleep the night b4
and how much sleep u get before english exam shuning?? =P

M@ster P

HSC

When i received my phy paper which i only got 56/98,
I rushed to the toilet and cried for a whole lesson.. and went home continued crying.. for 2days...:(
Top mark is 90 and most people got 70+
My ranking will be really low..
If i want to climb up the ranking, do I really have to come first in every assessment afterwards?
Thats really hard for me.. and nearly impossible..
I stuffed up my HSC...
I ruined my life totally ...........
dude, I stuffed up my first physics assessment but I came second in the half yearly and as a result I have jumped 6 ranks, from 13/18 to 7/18, so anything is possible. I got two more assessments and now I'm aiming for top 3 ranks. JUST TRY YOUR BEST!!

Last edited:

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

i got to sleep at 10... considering i usually go to sleep at 1ish those days..... 10 is very early xD
lol i thought i was on the phone to u at like 10:30

but yeh 10 is pretty early i guess..

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

and I said the radial field in galvanometer is letting the field always being perpendicular to the coil, so the torque is always maximum.
Assuming you are referring to the radial magnetic field, that is correct!

Torque is the turning moment/effect of a force... So the torque is a maximum when coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Think of F=BILsinθ, according to your teacher the coil would be parallel to the magnetic field, and thus not experience a force at all! I think your Physics teacher doesn't know her stuff, which is not that uncommon with Physics teachers.

I would definitely complain because Success One is correct, and if you say that Torque is maximum because the magnetic field is parallel to the coil, in the HSC then you'll lose marks!

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Also, the definition of torque is "a measure of the effectiveness of such a force that consists of the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation", so your teacher obviously doesn't know the definition of what torque is.

The formula that your teacher is referring to, T=nBIAcosθ is the AREA of the coil, hence the 'A', not the coil itself. There is a different between the AREA of a coil and the coil itself! When the AREA of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field then its Torque is a max, ie, when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the torque is a maximum.

So if the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, then the torque is always a maximum! As per the definition of Torque

To explain this better, recall T=Fd... Force is maximum when coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, and distance is pretty much the same, so Torque is maximum when force is maximum which is when the the component perpendicular to the magnetic field is a maximum.

Is there more than 1 Physics teacher at your school? I'd definitely take this further.

shuning

HSC

lol i thought i was on the phone to u at like 10:30

but yeh 10 is pretty early i guess..
i went to sleep at 1 or 2 on the day for eng.... cuz of u T.T giving me the story so late......

but thx anyways LOL. i'll tell u about this the nxt time i see u. something funny happened with ur story LOL it saved my life

hahahahahahahaha

gunne

Mew Nember
HSC

I just finished my half yearlies and I have this horrible feeling that I got nailed...
Usually if I feel good after an exam it means i did poorly. If i feel bad right after an exam it means I went well.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC

Don't worry don't worry. 25% is really just 12.5%. If physic is your only bad subject and you have more than 10 units then there's no need to worry too much. You still have 6 months to fix it up anyway. Work hard, decide where you wanna go after HSC, and be aware that there's always alternatives (e.g. Insearch, bonus points, tafe, private college...etc.)
Look at syllabus, especially for science, and make sure you covered all the dot points. Makes notes for each point, ask teacher if you don't understand it. Leech of BoS resource and such.

Maximise your happiness whilst you are still in high school, uni is very cold and lonely~~

MrDimple

HSC

Don't worry don't worry. 25% is really just 12.5%. If physic is your only bad subject and you have more than 10 units then there's no need to worry too much. You still have 6 months to fix it up anyway. Work hard, decide where you wanna go after HSC, and be aware that there's always alternatives (e.g. Insearch, bonus points, tafe, private college...etc.)
Look at syllabus, especially for science, and make sure you covered all the dot points. Makes notes for each point, ask teacher if you don't understand it. Leech of BoS resource and such.

Maximise your happiness whilst you are still in high school, uni is very cold and lonely~~
well said. But you really didnt ruin your life and such, your so dramatic :) but 6months cmon you got this everyone can change in 6months.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

I also feel the same for Chemistry. A 25% practical assessment, and I fucked up the concentration calculation of CH3COOH in titration. I was first in preliminary overall, and now I've lost a few places...

Just keep persevering! I'm sure a lot of people are in the same position. I regret not covering that part of titration with my tutor and not filling up more than the lines in the written paper given (quality not quantity I know, but I had so much more knowledge to write). Even if you are ranked bottom half, you can still regain your ranking! There's the external exam as well you know, where a lot of moderation occurs.

Just don't put yourself down. Even top students go through this. All the best.

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC

Also, the definition of torque is "a measure of the effectiveness of such a force that consists of the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation", so your teacher obviously doesn't know the definition of what torque is.

The formula that your teacher is referring to, T=nBIAcosθ is the AREA of the coil, hence the 'A', not the coil itself. There is a different between the AREA of a coil and the coil itself! When the AREA of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field then its Torque is a max, ie, when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the torque is a maximum.

So if the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, then the torque is always a maximum! As per the definition of Torque

To explain this better, recall T=Fd... Force is maximum when coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, and distance is pretty much the same, so Torque is maximum when force is maximum which is when the the component perpendicular to the magnetic field is a maximum.

Is there more than 1 Physics teacher at your school? I'd definitely take this further.
what are you talking about

torque is mathematically defined as T = Fd, where F is the force applied and d is the distance from from the axis of rotation

d is maximum when the coil is parallel to the magnetic field and thus T is maxiumum (T is proportional to d) and vice versa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)