• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Federal Budget 2009-10 (1 Viewer)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I cant wait until 5-10 years, when all there baby boomers leave the workforce. The debt is going to be unpayable. Need to find new home now.

Lentern

HSC
Just saw Swan at some press conference.

"Without the stimulus packages, unemployment would have been at least 10%".

If I was on a chair I would have fallen off.
Its astonishing, two years into government and the ALP are reaching for a scare campaign like it's a race to get there first. I really liked what Hockey said on Qanda when he said first and foremost the government should be trying to give the people hope not scare them into pessimism.

I've cut this government alot of slack economics wise, it wasn't dealt the best hand but $58 billion in deficit. They've fucked up, they got scared and they hit the pannick button. Wasn't the infamous Keating deficit only 10 billion for christ sake? All ye labor voters out there just throw it in, I to was eager to see the end of the Howard era but this government has dropped the ball.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Its astonishing, two years into government and the ALP are reaching for a scare campaign like it's a race to get there first. I really liked what Hockey said on Qanda when he said first and foremost the government should be trying to give the people hope not scare them into pessimism.

I've cut this government alot of slack economics wise, it wasn't dealt the best hand but $58 billion in deficit. They've fucked up, they got scared and they hit the pannick button. Wasn't the infamous Keating deficit only 10 billion for christ sake? All ye labor voters out there just throw it in, I to was eager to see the end of the Howard era but this government has dropped the ball.
Bring back Peter Costello!!

aussie-boy

HSC
I cant wait until 5-10 years, when all there baby boomers leave the workforce. The debt is going to be unpayable. Need to find new home now.
lol death tax anyone?
like 20% of your estate to the gov

Uncle

Banned
HSC
axe excess management.
cut out the fat cats.
axe excess management.
cut out the fat cats.
axe excess management.
cut out the fat cats.
axe excess management.
cut out the fat cats.
axe excess management.
cut out the fat cats.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
TODAY'S federal budget will forecast a record deficit of $58 billion for next financial year while also claiming that the Government's stimulus packages will save 200,000 people from losing their jobs.

With the two stimulus packages worth a combined $52 billion, the average cost of each job saved will be $260,000.
And that doesn't include decades of interest payments.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I'm tired of hearing the false dichotomy of Rudd's Stimulus Package vs Doing Nothing.

The government has somehow tried to claim that they have saved 200,000 jobs by doing the the former as oppose to the latter. Laurie Oakes gleefully jumped on board that piece of spin.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
I'm honestly glad I'm moving at the end of the year. I can see this ending very badly. :-\
That's a major change....moving to another country. Do you speak the native language?

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Is there any merit in the believing that the Baby Boomers (as a whole) don't really give a shit about this debt, as they will be retiring soon and thus this large, growing debt burden will be shifted onto predominantly the younger generation/s?

Could this play a part in the Liberals message (that this debt will take years to pay off) not really getting through?

Lentern said:
I couldn't agree more.

There's a big difference between informing the nation as to the extent of the situation [when fully known], and using 'worst-case scenario's' [ie. 10% unemployment if no stimulus packages] to play on the fear and lower confidence in the public to justify the government's decisions. The government obviously knows the difference here, so who is really to blame?

lynton

HSC
i hate the stupid economy. Who cares about jobs when its the environment we should be protecting. Little do they realise that the environment is our major resource and without it, the economy would be useless. We need to find a greater balance between preserving the environment and the economy!!!

Laika_

Banned
HSC
i hate the stupid economy. Who cares about jobs when its the environment we should be protecting. Little do they realise that the environment is our major resource and without it, the economy would be useless. We need to find a greater balance between preserving the environment and the economy!!!

hahahaha

yeah fuck the jobs (because we can really protect the environment when everyone is unemployed:confused:)

yeah fuck those cunts, they (who:confused:) dont even realise that the environment (as a whole:confused:) is a major resource (of what:confused:)

haha shit

Lentern

HSC
Oh be quiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)