Why are NRL players such terrible human beings? (2 Viewers)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
these people are normal human beings. as if other guys haven't had gang bangs where people have been willing. and it's been said that katie milligan threw a glass at greg bird first, so if someone throws something at you, you throw it back. he just happens to be good at throwing, unluckily for both of them. she stood by him and didn't want to press charges, just putting it out there.

Yes they're just people, like the rest of us, but it's a stretch to think that normal people would behave like these guys do. It's probably wrong to group all footy players together as though they're all, well "animals" is the best word based on some of the stuff they regularly do, but these incidents seem to happen too often. Although it's no doubt twisted to an extent by the media, normal people aren't as badly behaved as these guys.

Excuses aside, these things happen too often, by too many players. Other sports have their notorious screw ups, but it seems every weekend another NRL player has gotten themselves into trouble. These are guys who are role models to a lot of people, and they're doing some very stupid things and are acting and being treated like spoilt children week in week out. The worst thing is that these incidents keep happening, and the players harldy seem to care until they're in the limelight and in danger of being punished.

This attitude is hardly helping rugby league, which could definitely do with some help right about now.

Charizard

HSC
As someone mentioned before, these kids often quit school to play league at the age of 16 or 17, while usually not being the brightest sparks to begin with.

Then they get all this money and attention and they think they are king shit. Get on the piss and make bad decisions.

A lot of them are fuckwits anyway i don't see why anybody is surprised this stuff goes on.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
As someone mentioned before, these kids often quit school to play league at the age of 16 or 17, while usually not being the brightest sparks to begin with.

Then they get all this money and attention and they think they are king shit. Get on the piss and make bad decisions.

A lot of them are fuckwits anyway i don't see why anybody is surprised this stuff goes on.

Yeah, that's basically what I feel too.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Oh my god. This shit with the Sharks is getting beyond ludicrous:

Sharks future uncertain: Gallop

Three bits of bad news for the Sharks in the article

Fox Sports News said:
A please explain will...be sought for Wednesday's revelation that former Test forward Reni Maitua had failed a drugs test.

Fox Sports News said:
The NRL's intervention comes after Cronulla's major sponsor LG confirmed they would not renew their contract with the Sharks next season, adding a another $700,000 black hole to their financial woes.
Fox Sports News said:
The NRL will ask for a full report from the club by noon on Friday detailing all aspects of its termination settlement with a female employee last year following another unwanted front-page headline on Thursday.

A Fairfax media report said the financially embattled club had paid $20,000 to former community liaison officer Jenny Hall, who was accidentally hit in the face by Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia.

Zappia has previously said the incident on August 9 last year was an accident and he was simply shadow boxing
Shadow boxing? Shadow boxing a female employee, at work? And you're the chief executive, right? I really don't know what else I can say, but this is exactly the kind of bad behaviour which is killing league.

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
its a small minority that make the bigger majority look bad...

its not just rugby league that it happens in

Rugby Union: Bashing cabbies & teammates, drug offences

AFL: Crashing cars drunk, lying to police, drug offences

Soccer: Fighting teammates, having sex with minors....

it should be why are sportstars such terrible people if anything...

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

i do agree with that. i think they're good people [ie, hearts in the right place][and not necessarily all] but yeah, most don't have much sense to begin with.

HSC
can i vent my disgust at you?

and i agree with the others itt, watch less ACA, these people are normal human beings. as if other guys haven't had gang bangs where people have been willing. and it's been said that katie milligan threw a glass at greg bird first, so if someone throws something at you, you throw it back. he just happens to be good at throwing, unluckily for both of them. she stood by him and didn't want to press charges, just putting it out there.
hahahahahaha a fucking girl believe this shit? you couldn't make this up.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
its a small minority that make the bigger majority look bad...

its not just rugby league that it happens in

Rugby Union: Bashing cabbies & teammates, drug offences

AFL: Crashing cars drunk, lying to police, drug offences

Soccer: Fighting teammates, having sex with minors....

it should be why are sportstars such terrible people if anything...
umm, it's about the culture in the sport, not one off isolated incidents like ryall...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
hahahahahaha a fucking girl believe this shit? you couldn't make this up.
what you said doesn't even make sense. and i have personal ties to the sharks players involved. so yeah i believe things that i'm told. not all, obviously depending on the source.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Aussie home loan's boss has stated that if one more player misbehaves, he is going to withdraw his $1 million sponsor deal for state of origin.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Aussie home loan's boss has stated that if one more player misbehaves, he is going to withdraw his $1 million sponsor deal for state of origin.
im the boss of aussie home loans and this is a lie

M.T.T.

HSC
One of the problems with the rugby players is that they get too much money for what little amount of time they spend on the field. Then, they use this money to get pissed, have fun, indulge, etc. without consideration for the possible consequences, eg. media attention. Possible adjustments can be made to a sportsman's routine to reduce what "free time" they have to commit 'media-appropriate' acts. These adjustments could include, perhaps, mandatory community work, so that they are more productive to society.

These top-tier players are getting paid six-digit salaries but it is not well-deserved, for the time spent playing the sport, if their money is going to be spent on such disgraceful acts.

Also, these rugby players are simply young men who are forced to be role models for society - but there is no enforcement in place to remind them that they are watched by the media, and those who watch the media, and to act in a way that doesn't captivate the nation outside of the game. For fellow BoSers, we are also young and in the time of our prime, would any of us want to be a role model for other kids in Australia? I don't. I'm a durry-smoking, alcohol-consuming, free-willed kid, but I have little desire to abandon that lifestyle, and the NRL players feel the same. These sportsmen also have the money to fund their lifestyle to the point of certain extremities, which is what we see in the news.

Perhaps it is the culture, but it doesn't find its roots from within the league. It more likely comes from wider society and, if so, we will be hard-pressed to eliminate the culture exhibited by the NRL players.

Roy9

HSC
Can you be a bit more specific? Because there is obviously going be another player mishap in the not too distant future

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Also, these rugby players are simply young men who are forced to be role models for society
They know what to expect when they sign up - it's a job involving a whole lot of public and media attention, and regardless of whether or not they want the status of role models they have to assume some responsibility because they are essentially in a position of exceptional influence/power in society, just as, for example, police have to assume a certain responsibility outside of work hours as they too are publicly scrutinized and expected to maintain a certain level of dignity and respect in the community.

there is no enforcement in place to remind them that they are watched by the media
It's not hard to remember that you play every weekend in games that are televised on National TV. These players do know that they are public figures, and will be watched, but some of them still don't care.

M.T.T.

HSC
They know what to expect when they sign up - it's a job involving a whole lot of public and media attention, and regardless of whether or not they want the status of role models they have to assume some responsibility because they are essentially in a position of exceptional influence/power in society, just as, for example, police have to assume a certain responsibility outside of work hours as they too are publicly scrutinized and expected to maintain a certain level of dignity and respect in the community.

It's not hard to remember that you play every weekend in games that are televised on National TV. These players do know that they are public figures, and will be watched, but some of them still don't care.

Yes, you're right, not only in highlighting that the players are aware, but also of the flaw in the current situation.

"Some of them still don't care."

Well, shouldn't this be fixed?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Yes, you're right, not only in highlighting that the players are aware, but also of the flaw in the current situation.

"Some of them still don't care."

Well, shouldn't this be fixed?
By golly, you're right. I'll be back in a jiffy....

*scurries away*

....thankyou, good fellow. The problem has been fixed.

/magical cure

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
When was the last player besides Reni testing positive for PED's? not coke or recreational substances

I believe most Rugby League players in the past have used performance enhancing drugs, just now its rare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)