• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Choosing Year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

gunat61

HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 10 and I'm starting to think about subjects to take for next year. So far I've thought of taking English Advanced, 3 unit Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm not sure of whether to take Biology or Business Studies. I hear they are both "scale-down" subjects. Will it affect my ATAR badly?
I'm not terribly good at science but I heard biology is easy. I think I'm alright at commerce but so many people are saying Business Studies will bring me down heaps. I'm confused =S

However, if I took both, is it too much work to handle 13 units and is it worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions lol.

Last edited:

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
why not do both? you're required to do at least 12units in yr 11

Schoey93

HSC
You have to do 12 UNITS buddy. 11 UNITS is what Biology without Business Studies or another sub would give you. So, the answer's clear: pick both.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunat61

HSC
What if I chose 1 unit photography in year 11? (which isnt for year 12)
Cos I just think 13 units would be too much for year 12 ..
Then, bio or busines ??

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
13 units is not too much to handle, if so you could always drop your worst subject in yr 12

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey, I'm in Year 10 and I'm starting to think about subjects to take for next year. So far I've thought of taking English Advanced, 3 unit Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm not sure of whether to take Biology or Business Studies. I hear they are both "scale-down" subjects. Will it affect my ATAR badly?
I'm not terribly good at science but I heard biology is easy. I think I'm alright at commerce but so many people are saying Business Studies will bring me down heaps. I'm confused =S

However, if I took both, is it too much work to handle 13 units and is it worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions lol.
12 is minimum.

So you will have to take both in your situation.

BTW, don't care about whether your subjects scale badly or not...only care about them if they are absolutely f****** pathetic in terms of scaling like Senior Science or Industrial Technology. Business's scaling is good if you excel in the subject, trust me.

BTW 13 units is not much lol especially for Year 11. It's a lot when you get to Year 12 though.

gunat61

HSC
Thanks all. Sorted my confusion heaps =]

Last edited:

showy

HSC
I do 13 units and it may be a bit taxing at times, though with good organisation its managable. I will definitely drop to 12 units in year 12.
Economics is a good choice.

I've heard that Biology is very content based, lots of things to remember though not all that difficult. Don't choose subjects for their scaling, choose what you'll enjoy that way you're more likely to excel and then scaling lesser applies.

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
IMO, doing more units in year 11 is beneficial. It pushes you to focus more on your studies and reduces procrastination, ESPECIALLY if you're lazy. The only things that count to year 12 from year 11 are the habits formed.

gunat61

HSC
Thank you . I'll take destinyLiang's advice and take both bio and business.. if I do crap in one of them, I'll drop it in year 12. But, is 11 units safe? I would do 3unit english but I heard it takes too much time and isn't worth it for that one unit .. so i disregarded 3 unit english.
Thanks for the advice, showy.

gunat61

HSC
LOL! Yeah spammy, I'm reallllly lazy. So maybe 13 units would be ideal.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Go for:
-3U Math
-Eng Adv.
-Phys
-Chem
-Eco

Best combo imo.

showy

HSC
No worries, and I agree that 13 units does help with organisation. I continually have things to do so I guess learning to cope with that in the preliminary course is better than being shocked by it in the HSC.

english extension, apart from assignments, is an absolute bludge.

Anyway, go with 13 units and see where it takes you.

Last edited:

gunat61

HSC
lol everythings good in your choices Fortify, but for me, physics seems a bit boring and hard =\
ahh man, sorry to leave you worried .. but i'm sure you'll make it through with flyyyying colours if it's bludge for ya .. the thing with me is, i'm probably one of the slowest readers ever and 3 unit eng would just take my time.
thanks again =]

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry too much about scaling... Unless you are very serious about your ATAR and are looking seriously for 99.80+ then you would probably already know all about scaling and be a master of choice, so just choose the stuff you like ^_^

Street-10

HSC
Well mate firstly as most people will probably tell you, you need 12 units minimum, but ignore them both for a second, go on what you enjoy not scaling.
I do biology, because i enjoy it but problem is alot of guys in my class took it because it was easy and now there very close to being kicked out, so dont assume its easy, it was make you work, gifted or not believe me.
I also to English Advanced so if you want help with Biology or English just give me a buzz, best of luck

Street-10

gunat61

HSC
haha yeah true Aquawhite.. i'd never get 99.8 .. lol woah looking at your ranks assures me to choose what i like! congrats on ur efforts so far! so proooo =D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
haha yeah true Aquawhite.. i'd never get 99.8 .. lol woah looking at your ranks assures me to choose what i like! congrats on ur efforts so far! so proooo =D
Haha, thanks ^_^. I will drop music though, I don't really like the teacher I'm getting sick of it...

I hope you are successful in choosing the right subjects with the how the lines work out and all. :)

pillar

HSC
I'd also recommend taking more units than you may originally think (provided you do have some interest in all the courses, not just for the sake of it). Currently I'm doing 14 and I've gotten better at managing time and stuff, so when I do get to hsc year I can drop up to 4 units (probably only 2 though), and hopefully use the 'extra' time to focus on my weaker subjects I guess...

also bio doesn't scale terribly lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)