• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Choosing Year 11 subjects (3 Viewers)

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 10 and I'm starting to think about subjects to take for next year. So far I've thought of taking English Advanced, 3 unit Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm not sure of whether to take Biology or Business Studies. I hear they are both "scale-down" subjects. Will it affect my ATAR badly?
I'm not terribly good at science but I heard biology is easy. I think I'm alright at commerce but so many people are saying Business Studies will bring me down heaps. I'm confused =S

However, if I took both, is it too much work to handle 13 units and is it worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions lol.
dude, science subjects are not scale down things and they are not easy

if they are scale downs, then what will be scale ups?

yeah, u need to pick at least 12units in yr 11

but only 10units in yr 12

as for me, i would something cool like visual arts in stead of business
it is damn borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

well, haha think twice to choose business
but it's easy if u study daily
:wave:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The fuck are you taling about Maplestory? EVERYthing scales down except 4U Maths, 3U Maths, Distinction Courses, Latin Extension and Greek Extension. Regardless, choose whatever you like. Presonally, I'd rather not take either Bio or Business, you'd rather take Physics or some other higehr scaling subject that you like, or something that you really enjpy and can let off steam in. And then you can drop it in year 12.

pillar

HSC
The fuck are you taling about Maplestory? EVERYthing scales down except 4U Maths, 3U Maths, Distinction Courses, Latin Extension and Greek Extension. Regardless, choose whatever you like. Presonally, I'd rather not take either Bio or Business, you'd rather take Physics or some other higehr scaling subject that you like, or something that you really enjpy and can let off steam in. And then you can drop it in year 12.
true

but sciences scale down less than most other courses

yeah there's several exceptions but generally this is true

Uncle

Banned
HSC
hahaha business.
also, maple story is an incredibly retarded online game.
its literally full of little kids who cant even do simple arithmetic with 3 digit numbers or even 2 digits.
shit if you picked a physical fight with a maple story player, 95% of the time youll win.

dude, science subjects are not scale down things and they are not easy

if they are scale downs, then what will be scale ups?

yeah, u need to pick at least 12units in yr 11

but only 10units in yr 12

as for me, i would something cool like visual arts in stead of business
it is damn borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

well, haha think twice to choose business
but it's easy if u study daily
:wave:
are you too incompetent to study physics?

If you don't study physics
you deserve to be
struck at...
27.78 m/s!!!

you know the sciences especially physics contains the better people.
comrades who are good at a subject thats really easy.
nothing much to ask really.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
hahaha business.
also, maple story is an incredibly retarded online game.
its literally full of little kids who cant even do simple arithmetic with 3 digit numbers or even 2 digits.
shit if you picked a physical fight with a maple story player, 95% of the time youll win.

are you too incompetent to study physics?

If you don't study physics
you deserve to be
struck at...
27.78 m/s!!!

you know the sciences especially physics contains the better people.
comrades who are good at a subject thats really easy.
nothing much to ask really.
I agree that the brighter of the bunch undertake Physics (if they like it)... but isn't really at my school. Some of the best an brightest at my school undertake all the business/law courses etc. and they go well in them. I think it's more a preference.

P.S. Like my sig? :p

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I agree that the brighter of the bunch undertake Physics (if they like it)... but isn't really at my school. Some of the best an brightest at my school undertake all the business/law courses etc. and they go well in them. I think it's more a preference.

P.S. Like my sig? :p
omg why is religion the dominant term?

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
i've heard the same about biology, but we're studying it in year 10 now, and my its waaaay harder (for me, anyway) than physics and chem were.

apparently, bio used to be really easy, but since theres been so much research recently, the syllabus has got really complicated. senior science is probably the easy science now, but some schools (like mine) refuse to offer it coz its not academic enough, even though it studies really interesting material
:spzz:

No.

Senior science is the most horribly draining subject I ever did. Draining because it was so damn BORING. It's not interesting. At all.

Don't ever pick senior science, k guys? Crap subject, crap scaling, crap material. The end.

gunat61

HSC
haha .. well, ive thought more on it .. i aint doing bio cos i suck at pracs .. two sciences .. outta control lol.. i'm picking legal instead! it's good right? xD depends on ur inerests i suppose, but yeah =\

Uncle

Banned
HSC
:spzz:

No.

Senior science is the most horribly draining subject I ever did. Draining because it was so damn BORING. It's not interesting. At all.

Don't ever pick senior science, k guys? Crap subject, crap scaling, crap material. The end.
I would take this person's advice if I were you.
The topics do seem very plain.

HSC
do bio. its interesting and its not too hard, if hard at all. in yr 11 its basically all memorising imo. it requires less work than say.. 3u maths, adv eng and chemistry.

business studies.. ugh. if you like it then do it i guess. personally id pick bio over business. business gets dull. VERY dull.

chemistry ftw!! it goes well with bio too.

best of luck!

gunat61

HSC
well i guess i'm more of commerce person .. lol. i heard bio is mainly all plant stuff? any human stuff? cos i like the human stuff not the plant stuff xD but yeah,, i suppose none of my choices are certain yet.
i will do chem (Y) and i don't plan on doing senior science anyways haha ^

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
well i guess i'm more of commerce person .. lol. i heard bio is mainly all plant stuff? any human stuff? cos i like the human stuff not the plant stuff xD but yeah,, i suppose none of my choices are certain yet.
i will do chem (Y) and i don't plan on doing senior science anyways haha ^
Yeah, bio has plenty of "human stuff" (hehe) in it. Don't worry, if it was all "plant stuff" it would be pretty dull, but thankfully it's not. In year 12 bio (off the top of my head), you cover how enzymes work, the circulatory system/blood, kidney function (a bit), genetics, DNA replication, a bunch of other stuff, and a whole topic on health and disease - all of which relate to human biology. If you look through a syllabus somewhere, it'll tell you exactly what you'll study, but basically - biology is the study of living organisms, so for anything that falls under that category (including plants), you'll cover it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)