Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Swan's fucked, and he knows it. The call for Turnbull resigned is a Goebbels-esque smokescreen.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I don't see the big hallabuloo. It's like that time the Opposition tried to create a scandal over Rudd and Bush's telephone conversation.

I'd prefer if Turnbull didn't resign, though, because I doubt anybody better would take his place. Not that he's going to.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I don't see the big hallabuloo. It's like that time the Opposition tried to create a scandal over Rudd and Bush's telephone conversation.

I'd prefer if Turnbull didn't resign, though, because I doubt anybody better would take his place. Not that he's going to.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
There is zero chance of Rudd or Turnbull resigning. It'll just end in stalemate.

Swan is a different matter.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
There is zero chance of Rudd or Turnbull resigning. It'll just end in stalemate.

Swan is a different matter.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
If Swan ends up going, does anyone believe this translate positively for Turnbull individually?

There's talk that this issue could potentially "make or break" Turnbull. I can't see it doing either? :/

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Email has apparently been found. It's a fake. Sent from inside Treasury to Grech's private email. AFP executed a search warrant on Grech's house.

Opposition still calling for Swan's resignation.

Parliament currently debating a motion censuring Turnbull.

House Draft Live Minutes - House of Representatives

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Ahhh, Tony Windsor. :)

When the man speaks, the house goes quiet.

Even though he's an IND, he's not a bad bloke irl.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Question Time just finished. Turnbull moving a censure motion against the treasurer.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Email has apparently been found. It's a fake. Sent from inside Treasury to Grech's private email. AFP executed a search warrant on Grech's house.

Opposition still calling for Swan's resignation.
Because that makes sense. Fucking gronks.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Parliament currently debating a motion censuring Turnbull.
The motion passed.

Turnbull moving a censure motion against the treasurer.
The motion failed. Rudd is demanding Turnbull resign.

It certainly seems like Rudd is just milking it for all it's worth, but the Opposition is being pretty stupid. Basically digging a bigger hole.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
The Opposition will support the second attempt at the alcopops tax, which as far as I can tell will be pretty much identical to the first. Why'd they block it in the first place if they're just going to support it?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The Opposition will support the second attempt at the alcopops tax, which as far as I can tell will be pretty much identical to the first. Why'd they block it in the first place if they're just going to support it?
Maybe it will trigger a double dissolution election, something they definitely don't want?

Not happy about this - but don't be angry at the Liberals, they have been cornered into this by the Labor party and the blame lies solely with Chairman Rudd.

HSC
I don't think Rudd would be foolish enough to call a double dissolution over something as minor as an alchopops tax.

Carbon trading emissions scheme is another matter (although still unlikely in my view)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
I don't think Rudd would be foolish enough to call a double dissolution over something as minor as an alchopops tax.

Carbon trading emissions scheme is another matter (although still unlikely in my view)
He wouldn't be calling it for the alcopops law, he'd be calling it because he is the more popular leader right now and if he were to win an election now, he'd be able to see the budget measures he has put in place actually happen. I can see plenty of reasons he would call an election for later this year.

Lentern

HSC
If Swan ends up going, does anyone believe this translate positively for Turnbull individually?

There's talk that this issue could potentially "make or break" Turnbull. I can't see it doing either? :/
Well its not as though Turnbull is certain to call a press conference if he loses saying he had done a terrible thing and now feels he must resign but a fake email will not poll well and whilst he polls abysmally opposition MP's will begin to wonder if there is any point in him contesting the next election seeing he's got buckleys of winning it. Its just common sense that if the current bloke is gonna lose might as well have a punt on a different one.

On a slightly related note as I was reading Hansard over a coffee this afternoon, catching up on the political gos after my shift at the warehouse I stumbled upon something (irony alert for the clots who think I'm being serious)
Leader of the House: If he was here I'd say to the Member for Higgins, It's not too late! It's not too late Mr Speaker.
Hear it! Hear it!

Lentern

HSC
The motion passed.

The motion failed. Rudd is demanding Turnbull resign.

It certainly seems like Rudd is just milking it for all it's worth, but the Opposition is being pretty stupid. Basically digging a bigger hole.
What would you have Turnbull do? He's crossed the line, there is no coming back from here his only hope (presuming the governments innocent) is that someone falls for his bluff. On the question of whether Turnbull can salvage anything then no this is not the be all and end all. But on the matter of whether his colleagues could in their wildest imagination think he will deliver them government after this he has reached the point of the no return.

Don't be tempted Joe by this apparent gift, you know not the toils of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you work hard, keep the pressure on the Treasurer and serve the leader well your time will come when Rudd's empire is collapsing all around him. But if you like Turnbull, Nelson, Beazley and Snedden before you succomb to the temptation of taking the leadership before your time you will forever be haunted by your decision. Good things come to those who wait.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Mr Turnbull said he would only apologise to the Prime Minister over the incident if Mr Rudd apologised to him.

"I'll apologise ... for saying he misled the Parliament when he apologises to me for saying I had a hand in fabricating this email," he said on Channel 7.

"We can have mutual apologies. I'd be delighted to do that."
:rolleyes: No wonder people think he'd be a bad leader.

Lentern

HSC
Kevin Rudd has no case to answer in utegate affair - Malcolm Turnbull | National News | News.com.au

I think that sufficiently defuses the entire episode. Effective salvage imo.

I imagine Swan will still face some questioning however. Can't see anybody resigning though.

Barring any other major developments, this will fizzle out.
You think the government will let Turnbull off the hook so easy? This is going to hurt him and many of his colleagues will think him a damn fool for the way he charged in without covering his retreat.

We're also approaching the period where people start talking about a"decent run up to the election" which basically means if the party is going to change leaders it better do it soon so the new bloke can fight the election with some experience as a party leader. It doesn't fit in with the success of Rudd, Howard and Hawke (as opposed to Hayden, Peacock and Beazley) but the press makes a big deal out of it.

I agree that it's unlikely Turnbull will resign but thats not because he's in my opinion got nothing to gain/salvage by resigning. There's only one job he's interested in and he has little hope of getting a second chance any time soon so he might as well make this last for as long as he can.

Does anyone know if the state parties matter much in the liberal party? I would imagine the ALP, particularly the Queensland and Victorian branches would be unhappy if four consecutive party leaders were all Sydney based candidates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)