Semester 2 Chatter Thread (2009) (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
anyone know if travel passes work on buses in upper north shore (wahroonga region) even if the designated zones end just before there

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
because the surrounding suburbs do, so im hoping i'll get lucky here and save ~$10 a week?
But that doesn't make sense, if the zone ends before there, the zone ends before there. Or you mean even though the surrounded suburbs are not included in the zone, you can still use it?

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
But that doesn't make sense, if the zone ends before there, the zone ends before there. Or you mean even though the surrounded suburbs are not included in the zone, you can still use it?
the zone looks as though it ends, but i live borderline two suburbs so i'm thinking maybe it will go as far as the next suburb? depending on bus routes and the like

i'll just ask when i get the bus in the morn

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
the zone looks as though it ends, but i live borderline two suburbs so i'm thinking maybe it will go as far as the next suburb? depending on bus routes and the like

If you get ticket inspected after you cross the line you will get fined.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

No, after the zone ends they won't work.

That is, they won't dip because the bus driver hasn't changed zones

In the arvo, it will work because the liklihood of an inspector getting on is ~0 and you dip when leaving the city

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
there's trackwork up that way this weekend...

edit: damn 3 posts at once.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
thanks

and yeah, trackwork on the north shore line is ridiculous. first turramurra, then chatswood and now lindfield >: (

oh yeah AND trackwork on northern line or something so getting to hornsby is impossible

having said that im glad they're updating the lines blah blah

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
we don't get new trains at all on the northern line :<
Northern line's getting cut in fucking two from October 11.

Also, Tamara can you sit my bio quiz for me?
This is a sample of the kind of questions you will see in Quiz 1. The quiz is closed book so please try this without resorting to your text, first.
Total marks: 10

1. [1 mark] What is a restriction site?
2. [1 mark] What is Chargaff's rule?
3. [1 mark] What did Gregor Mendel discover?
4. [2 marks] Describe in detail the genome rearrangement problem. Use examples to illustrate your answer.
5. [3 marks] Write in pseudocode an algorithm to solve the genome rearrangement problem.
6. [2 marks] For an input problem of size n genes, what is the maximum number of reversals you expect to have to do, to solve the problem?
EDIT: I know the answers to all of them except for the first and second. Siff test us on actual genetics in an algorithms subject.

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
You're expected to know the history of genetics and such too, lol? Though I suppose it's directly relevant in a lot of problem solving cases.. Love good ol' Mendel :)

Half of bio is common sense anyway, if you saw "restriction site" and it's related to genetics and you know how genetic coding works you could take a pretty well informed guess. Are half marks given in quizzes in your subject?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You're expected to know the history of genetics and such too, lol? Though I suppose it's directly relevant in a lot of problem solving cases.. Love good ol' Mendel :)

Half of bio is common sense anyway, if you saw "restriction site" and it's related to genetics and you know how genetic coding works you could take a pretty well informed guess. Are half marks given in quizzes in your subject?
I doubt it, you couldn't really get half marks for any of those questions anyway.

e.g. the mendel one if you answered "Dominant and recessive inheritance" you should get full marks, given the fact that he worked with peas isn't really relevant.

EDIT: Lol just checked the lecture slides, they don't actually have Chargaff's rule at all, but had they asked "how are adenine, guanine, thymine and cytosine related" I could have given a full response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)