• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Democracy (1 Viewer)

Democracy, is it for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spyro14

HSC
If not democracy then what?

To paraphrase churchill; democracy is a shit system of government - but is still better than anything else we have come up with.
If Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill thought so, then so do I.

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
- Peace is underpinned by alliances promising retaliation for aggression. If this retaliation does not eventuate then the alliance is worthless and peace is impossible. Because a worthless alliance removes the disincentive for countries to go to war, the aggressor must be fought or their aggression will continue and other states will become aggressors. The classic fighting for peace argument.
No sorry you've got it mixed up with the slippery slope argument, and also the 'unsubstantiated bullshit' argument.

HSC
N/A
imho,

democracy is all well and good but if a dictatorship works better then let's use that one mmhmm

Freedom_

Banned
HSC
N/A
People, “democracy,” as the term is so often used by the elite to gloat is not a system that truly reflects the definition of the term. When doubts begin to creep withing the constituency question such as “Are we not the government?” are asked. The phrase “we are the government,” the useful collective term “we” has enabled an ideological camouflage to be thrown over the naked exploitative reality of political life.

“We” are not the government; the government is not “us.” The government does not in any accurate sense “represent” the majority of the people, the normal and continuing condition of the State is oligarchic rule: rule by a coercive elite which has managed to gain control of the State machinery. There are two basic reasons for this: one is the inequality and division of labor inherent in the nature of man, which gives rise to an “Iron Law of Oligarchy” in all of man’s activities, and second is the parasitic nature of the State enterprise itself.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
When it gets Barrack Obama elected no.

Society is too stupid for democracy.

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
when good people are leading a democratic government it works and the people are better off than would be in a dictatorship. its the only form of government that works it might be pretty shit but the fact is it works, communism is a good idea but thats all it will ever be a good idea, people cant be trusted with the power so therefore it doesn't work, dictatorships dont work because they dont work for the people.

democracy works

yoddle

is cool
HSC
If not democracy then what?

To paraphrase churchill; democracy is a shit system of government - but is still better than anything else we have come up with.
Erg.
I don't like this argument.
Where does it stop? "Oh we have really bad healthcare but at least we're slightly better than Zimbabwe."

The choices aren't either democracy or dictatorship.

Think bigger!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Erg.
I don't like this argument.
Where does it stop? "Oh we have really bad healthcare but at least we're slightly better than Zimbabwe."

The choices aren't either democracy or dictatorship.

Think bigger!
Well that's silly because we have really good healthcare. :eek:

I know what you mean though. In a situation where tangible improvements are easily possible, compromise leads to stagnation. However, this is not such a situation. It's not easy to see how anything is better than democracy, nor how anything better would be easy to acheive.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Well that's silly because we have really good healthcare. :eek:

I know what you mean though. In a situation where tangible improvements are easily possible, compromise leads to stagnation. However, this is not such a situation. It's not easy to see how anything is better than democracy, nor how anything better would be easy to acheive.
*Heavy Sigh*

Yes democracy does have some functional good points. But it also has some very very epic failings of a more deeper nature.

It certainly fits with our political disassociation.

If you can be bothered refer to my previous posts on this topic. I keep repeating myself, it's lame. And not healthy.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Interesting contrast between the merits of decision making by crowd-sourcing/free markets and the failures of democracy....

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
*Heavy Sigh*

Yes democracy does have some functional good points. But it also has some very very epic failings of a more deeper nature.
Such as?

If you can be bothered refer to my previous posts on this topic. I keep repeating myself, it's lame. And not healthy.
My reading your posts again won't change anything; they're cynical, unfounded, and in my opinion rather ignorant.

sthcross.dude

HSC
Democracy is a great idea. The problem is coercive nation states who's jurisdiction can not be ousted or avoided in any meaningful way.

If a group of people agree to be bound by a democratic government, great. To the extent that governments exist democracy is likely to be the best way to choose the government.

However, we currently have a situation where every scrap of dry land on this planet is claimed to be the sovereign territory of nation states. The fiction is that we consent to being governed by some sort of elusive social contract that can never be pinpointed and bares no resembles to other forms of voluntary contracts. We are simply born into a particular nation state and forced to follow its laws by virtue of being born there. Our opportunity to pursue alternatives is severely limited by immigration laws and by the fact that all land is claimed by statists who will never give an inch of their territory.

If people want governments, fine. But people should have the right to secede from nation states by purchasing land, and to run things differently, i.e. anarchism, minarchism, communism, whatever they choose.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Such as?

My reading your posts again won't change anything; they're cynical, unfounded, and in my opinion rather ignorant.
As I say, they're in my previous posts. Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to.

But read above post for another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)