• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Advantages and disadvantages of Std to Adv English. (2 Viewers)

Roflcopter54

HSC
Alright, atm i do
Ext1 english
adv english
IPT
IT
Music
Gen math
SLR (but that dosent really count.)

So for my recent yearlies i failed hard. and ive decided to go to standard just cause ive realised in IT i dont have to write such complex essays.

I'm in yr 11 and im gonna go into the HSC doing gen and standard. How will this affect my scaling? and lets just say im quite confident to achieve band 5s in everything else.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, atm i do
Ext1 english
adv english
IPT
IT
Music
Gen math
SLR (but that dosent really count.)

So for my recent yearlies i failed hard. and ive decided to go to standard just cause ive realised in IT i dont have to write such complex essays.

I'm in yr 11 and im gonna go into the HSC doing gen and standard. How will this affect my scaling? and lets just say im quite confident to achieve band 5s in everything else.
OK, General and Standard, they will no-doubt scale downwards but if your confident of getting Band 5's (higher range...85+) in everything else, then ur ATAR should not be adversely affected.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Don't drop to Standard. It's very hard to pull high band 5s in Standard. And Gen maths scales like garbage.

Roflcopter54

HSC
So, how much does the scaling affect? and i know i can pull better marks in all my other subs anyway.

benhaddad

HSC
generally if you do subjects like standard english and general amths you need to get very high marks to succeed, and its not at all easy to get high marks in those subjects, its easy to pass, just hard to excel.

i suggest you keep advanced, a mark of 85-90 would probably be close to a mark of 100 in std and would be much more accessable.

this is just from my limited underdstanding of the system, but i would definitely suggest you stay in advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)