• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How do you study? (3 Viewers)

x3.eddayyeeee

HSC
Summarise textbook and class notes. Read over them afterwards.
Must be hand written for me otherwise it just won't stick in the mind.

If maths. I just do mountains of questions.
Memorising formulas just doesn't work anymore.

Night before a big test: I don't study at all, try to relax.
I find if i stress during test, no matter how much i studied, mind goes blank. :(

occer

HSC
N/A
Lately I've been cramming, hasn't worked out great. I'll be starting over a month before these exams.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hmm some say I have the worse study habits but it works for me.

All I do is read the textbook or the stuff that we learnt in class that day and somehow it locks into my memory permanently. Remember, its not going to work for everyone so dont make this your routine! :)

Btw cramming DOES NOT work effectively (well i think that).

lychnobity

HSC
Blasphemy

Cramming done well is the most efficient method of studying imo, in terms of work/knowledge accomplished per hour.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Blasphemy

Cramming done well is the most efficient method of studying imo, in terms of work/knowledge accomplished per hour.
Yeah it has to be DONE WELL lol and for most of us its not, because cramming suggests we are under great stress and therefore is not as effective as "all year round" studying. I know i dont do that but i reckon thats efficient

please read occer's comment. HASN'T WORK OUT GREAT. surely that suggests something :tongue:

lychnobity

HSC
Yeah it has to be DONE WELL lol and for most of us its not, because cramming suggests we are under great stress and therefore is not as effective as "all year round" studying. I know i dont do that but i reckon thats efficient

please read occer's comment. HASN'T WORK OUT GREAT. surely that suggests something :tongue:
There is no need to argue your point of view.

I am presenting an alternate way of studying.

de__locke

HSC
^ Lolz

Summaries, reading stuff out loud, quizzing each other with friends

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
For me, I make my own notes from either my exercise book or textbooks. Textbooks preferably, and I like my notes handwritten as well, seems to stick better for me. Then I read it over and over in my head and out loud. I wouldn't say its fully effective but it has helped me

occer

HSC
N/A
Hmm some say I have the worse study habits but it works for me.

All I do is read the textbook or the stuff that we learnt in class that day and somehow it locks into my memory permanently. Remember, its not going to work for everyone so dont make this your routine! :)

Meh not like I failed, It's just I think if I write more notes then I'll start getting more distinctions than I am now.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I used to cram cram cram!
Now I take it easy,
For history, geography and science
to help me remember, I would recite the information and try to remember it all without referring to my notes. I also make mind maps and rewrite notes for some reason.

For english I would research techniques, practice online multiple choice and make short story ideas. I would also study the concepts of certain text types etc etc.

For math, I would do heaps of questions and practice.

Food technology, skim through my folder.

PASS, revise revise revise!

mizz_a

HSC
N/A
For some strange reason, cramming works for me. Like I remember more clearly if I study the night before (well...duh...)
But I also have notes for Science, History and Maths. It's like repeating things and it actually does get into your head. Just a few weeks (or days) before exams, I look over my notes and memorise key points.
Oh and do past exam papers.

Whatever works for you, really. :)

cassieagill

HSC
you're in year ten, don't bother studying, hell even year 11 is a waste of time, wait for year 12 to knuckle down :)

mizz_a

HSC
N/A
you're in year ten, don't bother studying, hell even year 11 is a waste of time, wait for year 12 to knuckle down :)
lol....that's kind of true....BUT it's always good to start getting into your studying "habits" early, imo

lolmonster

HSC
I usually end up procrastinating so much that I miss the whole revising and cram period before a test. Though, when I do, I like to handwrite notes and read them to myself in a fobby asian accent.

Whatever works, right?

q3thefish

HSC
Take it easy in year 10 cause' in year 12 'fun' is foreign.

Seriously, just read a bit and do a few Q from a textbook and that should be enough for year 10.

Screw work ethics and making things habitual early cause' all the things you find fun is gonna be so scarce in year 12 arg.

Master Username

HSC
How do I study?

I don't.

See kids, I'm gonna be a prime example of excelling without wasting time reading books.
Can't wait to go to TAFE.

firstneg

HSC
i read through all my stuff, write down key points.
then with closed books, i try to elaborate on these ideas in sentences that i then memorize if its right...
although my commitment level isn't quite there i generally study these on the bus on the day of the test
i just do all the maths, i find once i get it, i get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)