• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Science Olympiads (1 Viewer)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
does anyone have any notes they can post up for these olympiads?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
oh, notes for study of couse
Well you can download the syllabus for the olympiads from the website and study that. But these competitions dont really question knowledge as much as they do understanding. They require a deep understanding of the concepts you learn in your regular class.

But they will also have a tendency to question material that is in the HSC part of the course, and so reading over the HSC text in your choice of olympiad would be a good thing to do.

Im not sure about the other olympiads, but in the physics olympiad they have a tendency to base a majority of questions on motion and mechanics compared to any other topic, and so it could be wise to get a text on mechanics (usually 1st year uni).

But then again, practice makes perfect! Just do the papers to get a feel and understanding of the "style" of the question and just practice. But when you look at the solutions to the problems you fail to solve you should really ask yourself why you missed that particular thing, and if its something you havent learnt, then learn it, but make sure you understand why you could solve the problem.

mastermind666

HSC
Hey guys,

For the chem NQE, I was just wondering how many marks (approximately, I know it varies) you need to get a HD or an offer (out of 120) - because I tried the 2007 one (from the website) and marked it according to the marking scheme given. I ended up with 101.5/120. What would that be? Forgive me if i sound idiotic.

Cheers
Thushan

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'm doing Chem this year, but I'm only really doing it for my Distinction Award (gotta fulfil 8 categories), although some stuff does help with HSC Chem.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I'm doing Chem this year, but I'm only really doing it for my Distinction Award (gotta fulfil 8 categories), although some stuff does help with HSC Chem.
Your lucky as your school actually provides proper training for the comp. Are you participating in the NQE training at your school?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
usyd runs a prep course don't they as well?
That is true, but the program run by ruse is a school based thing. I'm fairly sure no other school in the state has the same kind of program run at their schools for the NQE.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
is it for yr 11 or yr 12 or both?

Ch1n

HSC
N/A
I don't think yr 12 are allowed to do it

soporific

HSC
I did 'olympiad training' for the bio and chem but our tutor was quite conceited and I got really put off.

So I quit after like week 3.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Year 12s are not allowed to do it. I recommend all Yr 11s try out for it - it's good fun. Even if you bomb it like I did.

aya-chan

HSC
I did all of them. coz my dad thought it was a good idea. and anyone can do them at my school.

GOT INTO PHYS. YAY. got the phone call today. ^^

waller

HSC
I did all of them. coz my dad thought it was a good idea. and anyone can do them at my school.

fuckin nice

i did bio + chem olympiad

Johanist

HSC
i just did bio.. failed it bad sigh.. all that extra study for nothing.. completely diff format for test etc..

furansugo

HSC

I got physics too :D I got the phone call on Wednesday. At least I'm not going to be the only girl there!

adomad

HSC!!
HSC

WOHA!! TANK! congratz.
You studied for it? =\
Lol, i didn't study a thing,.... don't know what i got yet, i should ask the science teachers if the got the results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)