• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

year 10-11 transition..anything to look out for (2 Viewers)

Riot09

HSC
next year what should i look out for in terms of homework,exams and tests,time management and social issues that usually happens to year 10 students at the start of year 11.To narrow it down im talking about students who are in the top 2 classes in year 10,i go to birrong so thats like 20 students who actually know stuff and the rest are just still kids mentally.

im doing advanced and extension maths,the 3 sciences chemistry,biology and physics,advanced english and visual arts next year so,basically what should i brace myself for to make sure next year "ignorence isn't my new best friend" to put it that way in a soicial,health(physical eg stress,sleep and mental eg ego defence and somatic symptoms) acedimic (i wanna study psychology at uni and become a psycho-therapist or counseller-just like intreatment and a personal point of view such as would i change.(goals,priorities etc.).

I know its a mouthful but help would be appreciated to ease hsc worries.
thank you for reading this and/or answering any but if all answers will be appreciated(because i like to read and know stuff-its like they just come to life,sara vowell talking on the daily show about why she reads alot and i guess its the same for me.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you should learn to manage your time. Try to experiment with different study techniques and see what works for you.

Learn ahead during Year 11. It will help you for Year 12. I worked ahead for Year 10 and that's how I did very well in Year 11.

Also, don't stress and look out for your competitors! Competition can get fierce in Year 11/12 and people will do anything to beat you! Don't help people if they don't help u

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Bro nothing changes, social life etc. The only thing changed for me is that i do my maths hw (3u) thats about it.

Johanist

HSC
Even though year 11 is supposed to be pointless you will feel a slight change of pace than the junior years. Ye and try to experiment with studying. Other than that nothing much changes.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
90% how in the hell do you know so much?!!!!!!!!!!!
eh? referring to me?

I'm in Year11 and I've been through everything. :uhhuh:

I was a slacker in Year 10. Look at my ranks in Year 10;

English - 110/160
Maths: 15/160
science: 53/160
History: 10/160
Geography: 10/160

and now compare it to the ranks now: top 10 in everything, and with ranks in the top 5 for some (such as English, Economics, Maths, Ancient History)

I'm improving heaps because I study smarter. Do your homework when you get back home straight away. It sticks to your head that way.
Also, write your exam notes based on the syllabus dot points. :cool:

also, Don't let anyone beat you :angry: Have high expectations for yourself but progress towards these goals.

TheStallion

HSC
I'm improving heaps because I study smarter. Do your homework when you get back home straight away. It sticks to your head that way.
Also, write your exam notes based on the syllabus dot points. :cool:
Exactly right, great tip - the combination of those two things means you won't leave anything out, and you'll know everything - and it's not even that hard to do.

saberbladexx

HSC
OP if you do subjects you like you dont need to study in year 11 to do good in them, i crammed for bio and history, played ps3 before chem and pulled of good ranks.

All you need to do is pay attention in class, no need to study, only like an hour or so the day before exams. Year 11 is pointless anyways, except for subjects like maths, chem etc.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yup, but i'm not too sure I can get the same marks in Year 12 - study time limited... house is getting noisier. Guess I will have to utilise my study periods at school effectively.

I may have to drop history Extension and Studies of Religion to cope with the HSC. Just a thought.

Anyone have a tip for studying in a noisy environment? I can't get my head and mind in the right shape!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
OP if you do subjects you like you dont need to study in year 11 to do good in them, i crammed for bio and history, played ps3 before chem and pulled of good ranks.

All you need to do is pay attention in class, no need to study, only like an hour or so the day before exams. Year 11 is pointless anyways, except for subjects like maths, chem etc.
Totally agreed. I regret wasting all my chakra in Year 11. I should've saved some for Year 12. I feel cheated now. None of my hardwork paid off.. Well besides getting invited into 4 unit maths and History Extension, I don't see how studying heaps in Year 11 is good. Now I have very high expectations for myself in Year 12, and I may go into depression if I don't get the marks I want next term. :( And I'm pretty sure I will go downhill. I will be the first to post a thread on "Failed my assessment tasks.. Going into depression, lol"

save your energy for Year 12, but just try to do well in Year 11 anyway.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
yup, but i'm not too sure I can get the same marks in Year 12 - study time limited... house is getting noisier. Guess I will have to utilise my study periods at school effectively.

I may have to drop history Extension and Studies of Religion to cope with the HSC. Just a thought.

Anyone have a tip for studying in a noisy environment? I can't get my head and mind in the right shape!
The room that i study in in my apartment shares a common wall with my neighbours- they like to listen to venga boys and bollywood/indian music really really loudly. I've dealt with it by buying some of those noise-canceling headphones, they're a billion times better than regular earplugs and good if you like to listen to music while you do work like i do.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
The room that i study in in my apartment shares a common wall with my neighbours- they like to listen to venga boys and bollywood/indian music really really loudly. I've dealt with it by buying some of those noise-canceling headphones, they're a billion times better than regular earplugs and good if you like to listen to music while you do work like i do.
hehe that's a good idea but it's not like my family will purchase those for me. They're gonna say something stupid like, "wtf? you think we're loud? well then get out of the house then". I think I'll just play my music on full blast if they're being loud. It's much better listening to my loud music than their loud voices. But I should actually be more careful. I might blast my earphones, hurt my ears or something bad might be happening out of my bedroom such as a thief coming the house and I wouldn't know.

Listening to music whilst working is generally unadvised by most of my teachers and I do agree with them that it ruins my concentration levels. But then again, I can't study without music on - I become really really bored.

Thanks for the input may-cat

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
hehe that's a good idea but it's not like my family will purchase those for me. They're gonna say something stupid like, "wtf? you think we're loud? well then get out of the house then". I think I'll just play my music on full blast if they're being loud. It's much better listening to my loud music than their loud voices. But I should actually be more careful. I might blast my earphones, hurt my ears or something bad might be happening out of my bedroom such as a thief coming the house and I wouldn't know.

Listening to music whilst working is generally unadvised by most of my teachers and I do agree with them that it ruins my concentration levels. But then again, I can't study without music on - I become really really bored.

Thanks for the input may-cat

You're a little bit of a weirdo aren't you (in the nicest way possible)? Who thinks about things like that?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
You're a little bit of a weirdo aren't you (in the nicest way possible)? Who thinks about things like that?
lol, me :p
Something my Maths teacher said to me once:
"How can you be doing 4 units of maths with your way of thinking!!???" (again, in the nicest way possible) :D

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I think you are your best judge on whether you will completely change from yr 10-->yr 11, for the following reasons:

1. Did you actually do any homework at all? did you study? did you summarise all your notes? did you put minimum effort into all assignment? If you did do summaries and everything and put your heart and soul into yr 10 then chances are you won't improve as much as many who done nothing, if they got the same marks.

My year 10 ranks:

English: 28/160
Maths: 17/160
Science: 30/160
History: 20/140
Geography: 2/140
Technical drawing: 1/30

Didn't put any time in to study, minimum effort on assignment, books stayed in my bag didnt come out at home lol

Year 12: Tried to maximum on assignments, studied regularly (sometimes hard sometimes not to hard depending on the time of the year), took an interest in all my subjects.

Maths 2U/3U: 1/50, 1/10 repectively
English: 1/67
Physics: 1/25
Chemistry: 3/40
PD/H/Pe: 3/43

And reached my goal in terms of UAI and marks.

The opposite can happen aswell some kids just give up after year 10

Goodluck to you all but i mean, don't use year 10 as an indicator

HSC
N/A
i did fuck all in yr 10 and term and a half of yr11, and im glad i did.

I'm sure i wont peak early like alot of people i know have :hippie:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I think you are your best judge on whether you will completely change from yr 10-->yr 11, for the following reasons:

1. Did you actually do any homework at all? did you study? did you summarise all your notes? did you put minimum effort into all assignment? If you did do summaries and everything and put your heart and soul into yr 10 then chances are you won't improve as much as many who done nothing, if they got the same marks.

My year 10 ranks:

English: 28/160
Maths: 17/160
Science: 30/160
History: 20/140
Geography: 2/140
Technical drawing: 1/30

Didn't put any time in to study, minimum effort on assignment, books stayed in my bag didnt come out at home lol

Year 12: Tried to maximum on assignments, studied regularly (sometimes hard sometimes not to hard depending on the time of the year), took an interest in all my subjects.

Maths 2U/3U: 1/50, 1/10 repectively
English: 1/67
Physics: 1/25
Chemistry: 3/40
PD/H/Pe: 3/43

And reached my goal in terms of UAI and marks.

The opposite can happen aswell some kids just give up after year 10

Goodluck to you all but i mean, don't use year 10 as an indicator
that was comforting. It's nice to know that: as long as you work hard, you won't fail. coz I'm like fully paranoid on going downhill in Year 12.

Hopefully I can be like you and come 1st in almost everything. that will be like UAI/ATAR 99.5+ guaranteed. :shy: I like :p

You're my inspiration!

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
i did fuck all in yr 10 and term and a half of yr11, and im glad i did.

I'm sure i wont peak early like alot of people i know have :hippie:
I studied harder in Year 10 than Year 11 yet my marks in Year 10 were atrocious. Everyone is working much harder than they used to and I thought I would be screwed, but for some reason, I'm not.

To be honest, I've become a much braver person and have lifted my self esteem greatly due to my dramatic improvement in academics. :D

a teacher verbally assaulted me, "dumb kid" in Year 10 and quite a few teachers looked down on me, particularly in english because I averaged 40%. Now => they all worship me :)

so sad.. I'm letting my school work determine who and what I am. ohh well, for some reason people define me by my academic performance. HOw stupid.. maybe I should now define them by their academic performance since I'm defeating them!

FTW

HSC
I studied harder in Year 10 than Year 11 yet my marks in Year 10 were atrocious. Everyone is working much harder than they used to and I thought I would be screwed, but for some reason, I'm not.

To be honest, I've become a much braver person and have lifted my self esteem greatly due to my dramatic improvement in academics. :D

a teacher verbally assaulted me, "dumb kid" in Year 10 and quite a few teachers looked down on me, particularly in english because I averaged 40%. Now => they all worship me :)

so sad.. I'm letting my school work determine who and what I am. ohh well, for some reason people define me by my academic performance. HOw stupid.. maybe I should now define them by their academic performance since I'm defeating them!
You're my inspiration;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)