Section 1 - Stimulus (1 Viewer)

wonmin

HSC
Anyone know what the technique was in the first text? The one where all these people had hands on top of each other? Because I was going to do that one for the last question, and I spent about 5 minutes looking for a technique, so I was like "stuff it". and went with the third and fourth texts.
These are some point you could write.

1. The framing - its quite subtle (no sharp corners), suggesting a sense of comfort
  2. Layering of the hands - Unity
  3. Different types of hands - Desite age or culture we can gain a sense of affiliation etc etc
  4. House - white symbolising peace
  5. Greyscale - Nostalgic
  6. The open door - welcoming
  7. Centralisation of the hands
  8. Vector lines of the fingers - Once again. Unity.
Most of this is just the art of bsing.

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
2 pages total for section 1, I reckon I covered everything adequately, so i spose 11/15ish
Seriously? The point was stressed by our teacher as a past marker that the 5 mark question should be approximately three pages. I ended up doing 6 and a half pages total in the end for section 1.

NB: I know they say quality not quantity, but if you are doing advanced it should be quality and quantity.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Spent agessss on part a for some weird reason, but it got better towards the end + last part was actually pretty easy :)

costa91

HSC
SORRY, not the poem, the thing about landscape and the girl and blah blah,

passage i think it was..

exactly the same but i found it a bit challenging when finding techniques etc. not expecting good marks back for this exam even though i did 1 supp. text.

costa91

HSC
for the 5marker

'select any two of these texts and compare their portrayal of the connections between people and places'

did u have to refer to all the texts?

no u only had to refer to the 2 texts you had chosen.

HSC
people can write a 2 page essay and get over 12 for it, others can write a 10 page essay and get 8.
Exactly. Don't be panicking if you felt you didn't write enough - of course, a 2 or 3 page essay is never going to get full marks, but it can still get a decent score as you say. If you make sure you write a quality essay, length won't have that much of an effect. If everything you write is bad, no huge amount of number words will save you.

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
Exactly. Don't be panicking if you felt you didn't write enough - of course, a 2 or 3 page essay is never going to get full marks, but it can still get a decent score as you say. If you make sure you write a quality essay, length won't have that much of an effect. If everything you write is bad, no huge amount of number words will save you.
Ditto, point and case:

2/3 page for 7 marker in trial, and i managed to squeeze a 6 because i didnt conclude it! And i seriously doubted that one. Just made sure it was all techniques, comparison and analysis and voila.

sharp_pencil

HSC
The first text was EASSSSSYYYYYY picture just make shit up about it ie:
different ages, the hand symbolizes unity and cooperation. The open door of the house symbolizes everyone belongs bla bla bla u know make it up :D

the forth text however was surprised anal sex (used my tears as lubricant).

MrDimple

HSC
i talked bout text 1 and text 2 in the last bit.

I saw text 1 as the hands are the foundation of the house, and they work hand in hand to something symbolizing unity.

sharp_pencil

HSC
i talked bout text 1 and text 2 in the last bit.

I saw text 1 as the hands are the foundation of the house, and they work hand in hand to something symbolizing unity.
ye but i only wrote 2 pages :( some ppl wrote like 7 pages lol

i did texts 1 and text 3 (like how the girl feels at one with nature, her comfort bla bla she has little connection wit people bla bla )

its basically how well you can make bs up..

driaxx

HSC
The only one I found really hard to find techniques for was the one with 'home'

eugh

I think in the end I used the reference to "home is where one starts" or whatever, the repetitions/motif of the word home throughout the story

and umm first person narration at some part i think.

That one killed me!

Freakstyler09

HSC
Only did a page on last question (comparative of two texts)

DAMMIT and that is the question they look at when considering if you should be bumped up/down.

Other than that examples where fabulous. Because this topic is so flimsy due to perspective/subjective jargon crap it is easy.
WTF r u f...ing serious or r u a troll, how come it saids 2010 on your HSC thing.

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
For a) i talked about image of the hands, how they appear to be embracing the ones above it, sense of comfort etc

b) i said that she said they never belong cause of not being 'mainstream'....

c) i said about the imagery used, the personification of the sky, stuff like that, as it helps portray the connection between the character and landscape

d) i said that appropriate quotes helped to emphasise the idea of comfort, 'centre of gravity' etc of the place, and comfort helped them find a place of belonging

e) i used 1 and 3, connecting them with the idea of 'embracing' the place, the house in the image, and the woman wanting to touch the landscape, hold it in her hands and what not

but i'm not really sure how right any of it was :S

3p1c f41lur3

HSC
Text 3 was so random... i cant even read it properly cuz its just wierd

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
I thought it was hard. Then again, I suck at Advanced English.

On section 1, I did around 3 pages total.
Section 2 was 2 pages... (it was a damn good short story though! haha)
Section 3 was 7 pages.

a) I said the hands are coming together/uniting to support a house, which is symbolic for a family. It takes a group of people to support a family to belong.

b) I said that the person didn't feel as though they belonged because they were taking away from the country, rather than contributing to it. Evident by the dole/pension etc. It is crucial to be able to contribute to a group in order to enrich it and feel like you belong to it.

c) Sensory imagery made you feel like you were experiencing her senses, being in her head experiencing what was around her, the landscape, etc etc

d) Can't remember lol.

e) I used text 1 and text 4 for the last question.
Text one was about belonging to people (shown by the hands) to support a family (symbolized by the house, a place where family lives)
Text four was about belonging to a place, where a "home" is any kind of place, anywhere where you feel you belong.

I used that angle to differentiate the two texts.

Last edited:

gurmies

Drover
HSC
I didn't really like this section. I never have. The answers don't pop right out at me, I have to stare for ages to even find a technique and link it to what it achieves. I thought the 4th question (and text) was absolutely AWFUL. I wrote 7 pages for this section, and used 2 and 3 for the last question (I discussed how belonging can be experienecd within a group of PEOPLE, which don't belong to land as well as between a person and land, but not other people). Meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)