Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

i dont understand why people even done 2 related texts the question states 1 yet you do 2... retards, its complete and utter retardation

JimmyChoo

HSC
Why? Where does it state in the rubric that only one text will be marked?

If it said in the rubric "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in two texts" then yes, you'd be completely correct.

As it stands, it only says a "variety"- therefore, you can choose as many as you like, and they should- by rights- all be marked. The rubric is more important than the question- that's where the marking criteria is derived from.

If your reasoning is correct, why do the Board of Studies even bother specifying the number of texts in the question? A set text and ONE related text is still technically a variety of texts, is it not?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

This is not a 'little bit at the bottom' it is MAJOR factor of the question...what if it said THREE...would you have done two and been like it doesn't matter?

The fact is what you thought is wrong. The BOS don't give a crap what you think the question is asking...

I think a capping of 13 would be fair.
13 is still an A!
to get an A you would have to be pretty god damn good!

i think it should be capped at 12.

alot of people were fucked over by only writing one.
Unfortunately, the BoS doesn't really care what kids really think. :p

I reckon it's unfair to cap people that did 2 texts at anywhere but 15. And just so you know, I did 1 related.

absorber

HSC

Well the rubrics and outcomes both say a variety. Prescribed + 2 related = Variety. So they can't actually not mark both of ours.
What? Two would constitute variation, hence a variety. The question did not say at least ONE, it said ONE. It said ONE. They can so not mark your second text, they don't in other subjs where they ask for say '3 reasons'; if you gave 4 it wouldn't get counted, the 4th one.

Nuclear

HSC

Your prescribed one COUNTS AS A TEXT. So, 1+1=2 which is a variety.
And yes, you're ignoring the question. If it asks for ONE why should you think its fine to write about two.
The examiners mark the outcomes based on the rubrics, not the question. The question is a guideline for the students to show that they can fulfill the rubrics and the outcomes.

If the outcomes and rubrics both say "Variety" we can't get marked down for using 2 related, because it's still a variety.

I can see how you would see it as unfair, but it's true.

Nuclear

HSC

What? Two would constitute variation, hence a variety. The question did not say at least ONE, it said ONE. It said ONE. They can so not mark your second text, they don't in other subjs where they ask for say '3 reasons'; if you gave 4 it wouldn't get counted, the 4th one.
I didn't say that 2 DIDN'T constitute variety. Merely that 2 related DOES.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Well that's actually wrong... people who wrote 2 did fulfill requirements of question, the question said refer to set text and ONE related.
writing 2 means you did fulfill requirements of question but just went further than what is asked.

Just like for short answer responses in any writing-based topic.. if it asks for an example of something, and you decide to not only define the question, but write your opinion on it, and then provide 3 examples with analysis.. Yes you are wasting time, but no they're not going to give you a 0, if you fulfill the requirements of the question somewhere in the verbal garbage you will be awarded full marks.

That said, most people who wrote 2 wouldn't have gone into the depth that someone who wrote one would have, so that would detrimentally affect their mark.

Me, I wrote 16 pages for the essay. I did 2 related, but I'm pretty sure that either of those related are in a lot more detail than what the majority of people who even wrote one would have gone into, so i don't expect it to affect me much.

and yes.. i am getting arthritis early. my wrist is killing me.. 2 weeks of hell to go...
i agree with 2 related fulfilling the requirements of the question,but i think the 2nd related should just be ignored and NOT even taken into consideration for the extra time used.
Why should they assume you could've written more if you didn't write about a 2nd (or 3rd/4th) related text. That might've been all someone would've known and since they had extra time, just wrote about a 2nd related text. Thus, I don't think it should be considered, but marks should not be deducted either.

Hobbit90

HSC

If any of you had actually read my post, you'd notice that I conceded that even if the prescribed plus related is considered a variety, in no way shape or form does that stop a person from using more than two.

That is what I said; nothing more.

badalice-tag

HSC

or maybe.. everyone should have just read the question seeing as it said ONE in capitals

youngminii

Banned
HSC

How did this thread become an argument of 1 + 1?

absorber

HSC

The examiners mark the outcomes based on the rubrics, not the question. The question is a guideline for the students to show that they can fulfill the rubrics and the outcomes.

If the outcomes and rubrics both say "Variety" we can't get marked down for using 2 related, because it's still a variety.

I can see how you would see it as unfair, but it's true.
Mate, that's just wrong. Your interpretation is invalid.

mckensara

HSC

Hold on- are you suggesting that because I used two related texts I can't read?

That's rubbish- for those you used only one related text, I can easily say the same thing about you- in fact, I think I might:

Can't you guys read? It says clearly, in the rubric above the question, "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a VARIETY of texts"
!
just. no.

its done now, just read the question in modules.

Nuclear

HSC

Oh god.

I give up, you idiots with 3 posts keep coming in and saying we should have read the question.

How about YOU go read the rest of the fucking argument?

Tools.

Nuclear

HSC

Mate, that's just wrong. Your interpretation is invalid.

Actually no, it's not an interpretation. The examiners mark on the marking guidelines which is derived from the outcomes and rubrics.

Look at any essay question you've been given before, then look at the marking guidelines. Completely different.

2 + 1 is a variety, end of story.

Hobbit90

HSC

Again, please read my post before you make judgements like "You're an idiot".

If the BOS intended for a person to use only two texts, that would have said "Analyses TWO texts" not a "variety"- a variety implies more than one, leaving people free to write about as many as they please.

If used only one, that is fine- you'll probably end up with more marks because you went into further depth. If you used more than one, again, you probably won't score as highly because you lack the depth to make a comprehensive answer.

mckensara

HSC

Oh god.

I give up, you idiots with 3 posts keep coming in and saying we should have read the question.

How about YOU go read the rest of the fucking argument?

Tools.
its not our fault you didn't read the question sweetheart.
after thirteen years of schooling, you would think that reading the question was something you were used to.
sigh.

Arsey-Darcy

HSC

okay, tomorrow for conflicting perspectives, if it says write using two additional texts i'm gonna write using one.

same logic: i can't help it if i misread the question, and if my analysis of the one additional text is really good then it deserves just as many marks as a response with two = i get just as good marks as the people who CAN read.

seriously, what the fuck. this is the HSC, you should learn how to read a question by now. if i'd misread the question for the belonging essay and responded with a really really good essay that had no relevance to the actual question, do you think i would get just as good a mark as someone who actually addressed the question?

disclaimer: i suck a big one at english so i'm not getting good marks anyhow, but still.

Last edited:

boganxcore

HSC

i don't think its fair if people who didnt read the question and did 2 texts beat me because i had to screw myself over and stick to one text.

shaela123

sleeping > study
HSC

I don't think it should be considered, but marks should not be deducted either.
I think what happens with markers is they basically have "list" that they tick off when you fulfill something that is required of question.

ie. if one criterion is "one related" that would be checked off for someone that wrote 1 or 2. SO with that said, someone who wrote 2 wouldnt get any "extra" marks per se than someone who wrote one.. because they did something that wasnt required of question. However I would also say that it wouldn't take marks away from them either and may be beneficial in the sense that both related would be looked at, and aspects of both that fulfilled requirements of question would be taken into consideration when decidnig a mark.

The punishment for doing 2 is more an intrinsic thing as opposed to actually getting marks taken off. IE you have less time in other sections than someone who did only 1, and probably didnt go into as much detail with your texts in the essay, which would adversely affect your mark, so that's your punishment.

mckensara

HSC

okay, tomorrow for conflicting perspectives, if it says write using two additional texts i'm gonna write using one.

same logic: i can't help it if i misread the question, and if my analysis of the one additional text is really good then it deserves just as many marks as a response with two = i get just as good marks as the people who CAN read.

seriously, what the fuck. this is the HSC, you should learn how to read a question by now. if i'd misread the question for the belonging essay and responded with a really really good essay that had no relevance to the actual question, do you think i would get just as good a mark as someone who actually addressed the question?

disclaimer: i suck a big one at english so i'm not getting good marks anyhow, but still.
Please don't do that!
Honestly, if you wrote one text you answered the question which gives you massive points over people that didn't. do not loose sight of that
what do you imagine the head of english at your schooling saying if someone did that!?!

ALWAYS ANSWER THE QUESTION :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)