Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

i don't think its fair if people who didnt read the question and did 2 texts beat me because i had to screw myself over and stick to one text.
Cool. Good for you. :)

Arsey-Darcy

HSC

Please don't do that!
Honestly, if you wrote one text you answered the question which gives you massive points over people that didn't. do not loose sight of that
what do you imagine the head of english at your schooling saying if someone did that!?!

ALWAYS ANSWER THE QUESTION :D
i would imagine him saying "i am a massive fucktard whose opinion arsey-darcy doesn't care about because he will never see me again."

EDIT: let's see if i can spell my name properly this time.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

seriously you guys are getting good @ practising your conflicting perspectives for tomorrow.
That's a funny joke that's been funny about 20 times. :p

HSC
Uni Grad

OMG, how can we possibly get better marks if we wasted time on another text and couldnt have gone 1/2 as in depth as the cool kids who can read?

Also we are stupid and I think arguing otherwise is silly. The board will make its decision so should just leave to them and not worry about it.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

OMG, how can we possibly get better marks if we wasted time on another text and couldnt have gone 1/2 as in depth as the cool kids who can read?

Also we are stupid and I think arguing otherwise is silly. The board will make its decision so should just leave to them and not worry about it.
I like this person
Free rep for him

elliegrace

HSC

THIS IS

UNFAIR

IF YOU CANT READ THE FRIGGIN QUESTION YOU SHOULD NOT BE ENTITLED TO THE POSSIBILITY BETTER MARKS

"POSITIVE MARKING"

THIS IS A FLAPPING DISGRACE, A FLAMING PILE OF BULLTURDS.

tl;dr if you can't read its your own fucking fault stop whinging, the people who can read should not be disadvantaged because of "consideration" for the people who "prepared" beforehand and in a moment of arrogance declined to read the question properly.

flap off.
+1.. if u read it wrong and u did the answer accordingly you shouldnt be given the right to as good marks as those who can read.

Heshy

HSC

lol reading these replys is funny shit
my essay was 1100 words long, and related texts each were 200 words
and i can actually write decent essays
so basically ill get a better mark than those ppl who do 900 word essays same quality (not much like 1 mark)
but those with 1000+ word essays will probs beat me, oh well

and btw guys i did read the question, i saw one and decided instead of screwing myself overand writing like 50 words extra for one of my additional tetxs id write another 200 words on another additional text (cause it'd help answer the question)

and yeah if ur estimates is like less than 90-95 i dont think u should rly b bitching.... ur marks gonna b shit anyway so just fkn study for ur next exam and get over it

Mas1991

HSC

Is it really possible for an essay with 2 related texts to get 15/15, no matter how good it is - because it failed to fulfill the requirements of the question?
no the question said ONE without the use of the word "only" before. hence if you wrote about 2 related you answered the question and you also wrote more then required. but you didn't go directly against the question. so you will be marked according to guidelines.

doesn't matter for me because i wrote about 3 poems and 2 related. so if they take one out thats still a 13 page essay with each text in depth.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A

my only problem is that i read the question and wanted to talk about two but i was limited to one. i'm interested in how this works out.

but i'll prolly do shit in english anyways

shaela123

sleeping > study
HSC

well you're right that someone couldn't get "better" marks for writing 2.. as i said, it wasn't a criteria, so you'd be adding unnecessary information. You could get "equal" marks as someone who wrote one though.

However, saying that everyone who wrote 2 went into half the depth is a generalisation and an overstatement.
Theoretically, someone who wrote 2 related texts could go into as much detail as someone who used one, as the question stipulated (it'd take more time.. but that would adversely affect their chances of getting marks in the other sections of the exam.. not section 3).
If they did go into as much detail, they have as much capability of achieving a 15/15 as someone who did one related.

So lets all move on with our lives and wait till the marks are released. I'm sure it'll be fine.
If you did 2, hope that you did them in detail, and you won't be affected (unless that detail caused you to be time poor in the other sections)
If you did one, be happy that you satisfied the criteria properly without adding unnecessary information. Doing this would have allowed you to (possibly) go into more detail than people who wrote 2, and certainly have more time for the other sections.

Nuclear

HSC

its not our fault you didn't read the question sweetheart.
after thirteen years of schooling, you would think that reading the question was something you were used to.
sigh.
I'm not saying it's your fault.

After thirteen years of being prepared for 2 and having the HSC question as 2 related, you would think it's a given.

mckensara

HSC

I'm not saying it's your fault.

After thirteen years of being prepared for 2 and having the HSC question as 2 related, you would think it's a given.

yet you are ironically calling us idiots.

mistake one: assuming anything with the board of studies, in a new area of study, is a given.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC

Oh look, another blind imbecile.

I didn't have a prepared answer. Only remembered quotes and techniques that I was going to work into the question. Just because I didn't read the little bit at the bottom properly (Which has never been ONE, btw) doesn't mean I had a prepared answer.

Also, if in maths you rounded to two instead of one, you'd get the worth of the question minus one. So if it was a 3 mark question, you'd get 2.

Along with that, show me any maths question worth 15 marks, let alone the a third of the paper.

Settle down,

I wasn't attacking people who had a prepared answer, I was saying that those with a prepared answer (having two related), may have been less flexible and more likely to skip over the captialised ONE.

The maths analogy, was merely a way of trying to compare. You didn't have to go pull a full blown analysis.

I'm truly sorry if I offended you.

Renzel

HSC
They will essentially "block out" one text you wrote about, likely to disrupt your essay flow. You won't lose marks per say, but you won't gain as many as you could have.

Nuclear

HSC

yet you are ironically calling us idiots.

mistake one: assuming anything with the board of studies, in a new area of study, is a given.
Only thing ironic here is that you misread my post.

The only people I was calling idiots are the people who, after their point had been discussed 10,000 posts ago, come in and say "You should read it".

Macdwg

Professional Mad Lad
HSC
Why? Where does it state in the rubric that only one text will be marked?

If it said in the rubric "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in two texts" then yes, you'd be completely correct.

As it stands, it only says a "variety"- therefore, you can choose as many as you like, and they should- by rights- all be marked. The rubric is more important than the question- that's where the marking criteria is derived from.
You're stupid. Beyond belief.
The question said one, therefore they must have collectively decided that they will mark up to and only the one extra text. If they wanted two then they would have said two, ya dig?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)