Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

+1
if you don't read the question properly in the first place, then you shouldn't receive the chance of gaining more marks
In case you haven't read, I don't know, the other 400 posts regarding this, you -don't- get a chance of gaining more marks.

Nuclear

HSC

What a joke.

I lose marks all the time in maths for misreading questions... and this was an ENGLISH exam where you're suppose to read in english. It was in CAPITAL letters for a reason
Are they questions that are worth a third of the paper?

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC

Why does there need to be 'briefing'?

Those that provided two, had obviously prepared an answer and failed to interact with the question.

As someone said before, you don't get a mark if you round off to two decimal place instead of one. When the question specifically asks for ONE.

There wouldn't be 'briefing' over that, even if the entire maths canditure rounded off to two decimal places.

How the hell is this any different?

JimmyChoo

HSC
Good point. What if somebody decided to write about 3 texts even though it says 1..should they get marked down? According to everyone here, no. Corrupt.
No, because although you wouldn't get marked down on having more texts than they've asked for, they're only going to mark one of those texts, and because you divided your writing time between 3 texts, there won't be nearly enough detail in only one of them to get decent marks, unless you're amazing.

Nuclear

HSC

Why does there need to be 'briefing'?

Those that provided two, had obviously prepared an answer and failed to interact with the question.

As someone said before, you don't get a mark if you round off to two decimal place instead of one. When the question specifically asks for ONE.

There wouldn't be 'briefing' over that, even if the entire maths canditure rounded off to two decimal places.

How the hell is this any different?
Oh look, another blind imbecile.

I didn't have a prepared answer. Only remembered quotes and techniques that I was going to work into the question. Just because I didn't read the little bit at the bottom properly (Which has never been ONE, btw) doesn't mean I had a prepared answer.

Also, if in maths you rounded to two instead of one, you'd get the worth of the question minus one. So if it was a 3 mark question, you'd get 2.

Along with that, show me any maths question worth 15 marks, let alone the a third of the paper.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

Oh the marking centre always have briefings on how to mark the tests. This issue will be addressed in the briefing, I should have said.

But yeah, that maths analogy (by me lol) is fair. I did one text and I feel hard done by, but nothing we can do about it :(

Hey nuclear, if you're saying you get one mark deducted from a 3 mark question then aren't you saying you should get 5 marks deducted from a 15 mark question? Lol I don't understand your argument.

Last edited:

mckensara

HSC

to mark someone who wrote two related texts, rather than the person who ACTUALLY READ THE QUESTION, which isnt that hard to do can i just say, in the same manner would be unfair and they are aware of that.

they will only read the first text, and ignore the other.

people who wrote only one will have a more in depth essay and have a much better chance of getting high marks.

Nuclear you can hardly call someone a "blind imbecile" WHEN YOU FAILED TO READ THE QUESTION.
oh the irony.

Hobbit90

HSC
No, because although you wouldn't get marked down on having more texts than they've asked for, they're only going to mark one of those texts, and because you divided your writing time between 3 texts, there won't be nearly enough detail in only one of them to get decent marks, unless you're amazing.
Why? Where does it state in the rubric that only one text will be marked?

If it said in the rubric "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in two texts" then yes, you'd be completely correct.

As it stands, it only says a "variety"- therefore, you can choose as many as you like, and they should- by rights- all be marked. The rubric is more important than the question- that's where the marking criteria is derived from.

mckensara

HSC

Oh the marking centre always have briefings on how to mark the tests. This issue will be addressed in the briefing, I should have said.

But yeah, that maths analogy (by me lol) is fair. I did one text and I feel hard done by, but nothing we can do about it :(

don't worry, they will not mark someone's related text. Its like not answering the quesiton and just not putting in understanding at all, that would result in bad marks. this is the same deal.

Also if you havent read the question that hardly gives a good impression to your answer.

It is just like in a speech assessment, if you go over the time allocated they just stop listening.

They did not answer the question and will be penalized accordingly within the "positive marking"

bayan92

HSC

Oh look, another blind imbecile.

I didn't have a prepared answer. Only remembered quotes and techniques that I was going to work into the question. Just because I didn't read the little bit at the bottom properly (Which has never been ONE, btw) doesn't mean I had a prepared answer.

Also, if in maths you rounded to two instead of one, you'd get the worth of the question minus one. So if it was a 3 mark question, you'd get 2.

Along with that, show me any maths question worth 15 marks, let alone the a third of the paper.
This is not a 'little bit at the bottom' it is MAJOR factor of the question...what if it said THREE...would you have done two and been like it doesn't matter?

The fact is what you thought is wrong. The BOS don't give a crap what you think the question is asking...

I think a capping of 13 would be fair.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

The definition of positive marking means you can't get penalised.
And the Office of the Board of Studies has said that none of the texts will be ignored.. So.. meh.

mckensara

HSC

This is not a 'little bit at the bottom' it is MAJOR factor of the question...what if it said THREE...would you have done two and been like it doesn't matter?

The fact is what you thought is wrong. The BOS don't give a crap what you think the question is asking...

13 is still an A!
to get an A you would have to be pretty god damn good!

i think it should be capped at 12.

alot of people were fucked over by only writing one.

mckensara

HSC

The definition of positive marking means you can't get penalised.
And the Office of the Board of Studies has said that none of the texts will be ignored.. So.. meh.
this is true
but lets just say you wrote an essay that had no reference to understanding/lack of understanding. at all.
They would mark the things you DID do, but if you left out a huge chunk of the question your rooted.

absorber

HSC

It's an injustice if they mark the second text

Hobbit90

HSC

Hold on- are you suggesting that because I used two related texts I can't read?

That's rubbish- for those you used only one related text, I can easily say the same thing about you- in fact, I think I might:

Can't you guys read? It says clearly, in the rubric above the question, "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a VARIETY of texts"

Now, I'm no expert on linguistics, but using only ONE text is NOT a variety! And even if it was, that would not stop a person from using more than one related text. In fact, it's basically the green light to use as many as you please.

The BOS do not mark based solely on the question- if they intended for us to write about only ONE related text, they would have put it in the rubric!

Bah!

Nuclear

HSC

The BoS doesn't give a crap what you think either ;)

shaela123

sleeping > study
HSC

Is it really possible for an essay with 2 related texts to get 15/15, no matter how good it is - because it failed to fulfill the requirements of the question?
Well that's actually wrong... people who wrote 2 did fulfill requirements of question, the question said refer to set text and ONE related.
writing 2 means you did fulfill requirements of question but just went further than what is asked.

Just like for short answer responses in any writing-based topic.. if it asks for an example of something, and you decide to not only define the question, but write your opinion on it, and then provide 3 examples with analysis.. Yes you are wasting time, but no they're not going to give you a 0, if you fulfill the requirements of the question somewhere in the written garbage you will be awarded full marks.

That said, most people who wrote 2 wouldn't have gone into the depth that someone who wrote one would have, so that would detrimentally affect their mark.

Me, I wrote 16 pages for the essay. I did 2 related, but I'm pretty sure that either of those related are in a lot more detail than what the majority of people who even wrote one would have gone into, so i don't expect it to affect me much.

and yes.. i am getting arthritis early. my wrist is killing me.. 2 weeks of hell to go...

Last edited:

absorber

HSC

That's rubbish- for those you used only one related text, I can easily say the same thing about you- in fact, I think I might:

Can't you guys read? It says clearly, in the rubric above the question, "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a VARIETY of texts"

Now, I'm no expert on linguistics, but using only ONE text is NOT a variety! And even if it was, that would stop a person from using more than one related text. In fact, it's basically the green light to use as many as you please.

The BOS do not mark based solely on the question- if they intended for us to write about only ONE related text, they would have put it in the rubric!

Bah!
You're an idiot.

A variety of texts might refer to the prescribed as well as related. That would make two, making it a plural.

Nuclear

HSC

You're an idiot.

A variety of texts might refer to the prescribed as well as related. That would make two, making it a plural.
Well the rubrics and outcomes both say a variety. Prescribed + 2 related = Variety. So they can't actually not mark both of ours.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Now, I'm no expert on linguistics, but using only ONE text is NOT a variety! And even if it was, that would not stop a person from using more than one related text. In fact, it's basically the green light to use as many as you please.

Bah!
Your prescribed one COUNTS AS A TEXT. So, 1+1=2 which is a variety.
And yes, you're ignoring the question. If it asks for ONE why should you think its fine to write about two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)