SOR I - Section 3! YOUR THOUGHTS (2 Viewers)

PrettyStarFury

HSC
Our supervisors came into the run halfway through and told us there was a major problem.
She proceded to say that we just had to do our best in question 2 and that for question 3, to write whatever we wanted.
Neither of the questions were related to ANYTHING we studied.
Literally.
No 'implicit meaning' to the question or anything.
180 students at my school got screwed around BADLY today.
That is intense. I kinda wish they'd done that in ours so that we knew we were on the right track and hadn't just forgotten a years worth of stuff.
10% over, that's pretty bad

GaziMonogue

HSC
So... its asking to analyse the Ethics of the Qu'ran... thats reallly freaking stupid.

I dont think the Examiner will ever be contributing to an Exam anymore.

Danmiff

HSC
the islam question was clearly about ethics. The quote was specifically about guidance, and the question about its role in the life of adherents. Since any of the practices are single events, they clearly aren't something that could be considered a part of the 'life of muslims', whereas ethics have a constant influence on their lives.
So basically, it was an ethics question, they just didn't specify the key terms. So it was from the syllabus. I guess you could talk about ethics and the significant practice but i don't think that would have been necessary.
+1

HYP

HSC
u have pretty much screwed up ur hsc if u get below 60% in SOR1 because it will scale u down a lot. u might as well stop trying unless u wanna do something in uni tat requires below an ATAR of 75.

Last edited:

jack124

HSC
I think the question was a lot simpler than a lot of people made it out to be. For the Islam question, just take the bits from Practice and Ethics which referred to the Qu'ran, and change the argument a little so that its focus is less on those actual things and more on the Qu'ran itself.
But Murray, nobody likes you.

Goodluck tomorrow :)

MAGIC-E

HSC
Just curious. Someone mentioned earlier that 30% can be asked from prelim. What happens if you did accelerated and skipped prelim? (Not that I did, I used to do both 3u mat/eng so had to do prelim SOR offline. Ended up dropping 3u eng. The thing is, I cbf doing prelim sor by myself at home n e way)

And yes, I agree with all of you......all I can say about the SOR exam is FML.

What's funny is that people were gambling before the exam as to whether Christianity would be Bioethics or marriage. It featured some pretty heated up debates! Couldn't help snickering during the exam when I saw what the Christianity question was....

LOL/20

HSC
u have pretty much screwed up ur hsc if u get below 60% in SOR1 because it will scale u down a lot. u might as well stop trying unless u wanna do something in uni tat requires below an ATAR of 75.
shut up dude.

Cloesd

HSC
I did the same thing for question 2 and put A. Had a discussion with my teacher trying to claim that calling the Dreaming stories "myths and legends" was trivialising their faith. Don't think the markers will agree though.

For question 9 ur right. There wasnt a decline in numbers of Christians just perceptage of population.
Don't worry Kid B, im sure we can take the paper to the Aboriginal communities and see what they think of it.

I can see them setting up a tent embassy infront of the BOS.

Krissy91

HSC
Ridiculous. The question wasn’t in the syllabus. I don’t care if it was implicit in there or what… but the board of studies shouldn’t deliberately set out to make it more difficult for us!

Also, there was an advantage to those who did Hinduism, Buddhism Or Judaism who had much easier questions! Completely unfair, and I think that the number of replies to this topic just demonstrates that something was seriously SERIOUSLY wrong with that exam question.

AND the multiple-choice questions were more difficult and poorly worded than any past papers I’ve seen.

PrettyStarFury

HSC
Our supervisors came into the run halfway through and told us there was a major problem.
She proceded to say that we just had to do our best in question 2 and that for question 3, to write whatever we wanted.
Neither of the questions were related to ANYTHING we studied.
Literally.
No 'implicit meaning' to the question or anything.
180 students at my school got screwed around BADLY today.
That is intense. I kinda wish they'd done that in ours so that we knew we were on the right track and hadn't just forgotten a years worth of stuff.
10% over, that's pretty bad

red-butterfly

HSC
well during reading time, once it got up to section 3 I looked around to see that everyone's faces were like WTF!?>>>?

... I really thing that i completely stuffed that up...

GaziMonogue

HSC
I agree. I must say this paper had no direct questioning and was allways playing hide behind the bush.

How can a person find out which school and where and who the examiner was?

Cloesd

HSC
Ridiculous. The question wasn’t in the syllabus. I don’t care if it was implicit in there or what… but the board of studies shouldn’t deliberately set out to make it more difficult for us!

Also, there was an advantage to those who did Hinduism, Buddhism Or Judaism who had much easier questions! Completely unfair, and I think that the number of replies to this topic just demonstrates that something was seriously SERIOUSLY wrong with that exam question.

AND the multiple-choice questions were more difficult and poorly worded than any past papers I’ve seen.
In fact.. I'm considering asking for the SOR paper back, just to see how this question was marked.

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Good man.

I think what section 3 what getting at, was NOT like some people believe a combination of all 3.

It was simply asking for a practice. The throw-off was that the quote they gave specifically catered for schools who chose "Eucharist" as their practice. Imagine your school had chosen to do the "Eucharist" topic, it would have been dead obvious from the quote they wanted you to talk about the practice.

For Islam i can see the question being interpreted in two ways. The first is enviro-ethics (which the quote seems to support), the second is the hajj (Which the question itself seems to support) i deem it to be the latter of these. The Hajj is what you needed to talk about, the quotation needed some twisting, but it could be made to support your Hajj points, however trying to twist a question to match a quotation would be ridiculous.

That said, if over 25% or so (no source, im guessing) of people write about all three instead of just one, or do something else unexpected, they'd have to change the marking criteria.. especially for a 40% of mark section like section 3.
That's the problem. What if you are at a school where you did christianity and islam but didn't do any of those particular topics (like us).

Cloesd

HSC
I agree. I must say this paper had no direct questioning and was allways playing hide behind the bush.

How can a person find out which school and where and who the examiner was?
Systems in place to make that very hard for you to do, not impossible though. Snoop around, you might find something. (post it here if you do)

Kid B

HSC

Advantage to Judaism???????????????

Did u read the Judaism question. It was just as bad.

brentasaurus

HSC
don't worry guys.
there is a conspiracy theory going around that the board of studies used the wrong syllabus to create section 3.
well that's what i heard anyway.

Matty91

HSC
Christianity didnt make sense! God is great we love god is literally what i talked about for three pages until i couldnt think anymore and i had 45mins hahahahaa

red-butterfly

HSC
In fact.. I'm considering asking for the SOR paper back, just to see how this question was marked.
i know aye! i really think its stupid how they've "tried something different" to try and get us out of learning straight from the syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)