SOR I - Section 3! YOUR THOUGHTS (2 Viewers)

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
From what I know the question as... this is a preliminary dot point (and may well have been word for word). Now BOS has the right and written in the guidelines and rules to test Preliminary work and syllabus knowledge - they just tested the preliminary dot point and expect you to combine basic Year 11 knowledge with some HSC in depth study of it as well (but not a great deal will relate :p).
The board may do something if basically everyone appeals, but it's in the rules they can test the preliminary syllabus in the exam :D
I heard the maximum BOS can use from the prelim course is 30%.

The particular question was worth 20 marks, ie 40%.

It wasn't from the prelim course/syllabus, it was completely out there. You would not be able to answer such a question..

Last edited:

Aardvark

HSC
I blitzed section 3. All the crazy stuff I read in the news finally paid off! Forget learning the syllabus, I answered that question from general knowledge. I did Christianity.

Shit yeah.

chuha

HSC
N/A
COMPLETE AND UTTER CRAP!!!!
i don't understand how the BOS always
says to stick to the syllabus, and the they
decide not to follow it themselvess!!! what losers!
and it was a freeking 20 markerr!
i wrote 6 pages on shit all!

i hope they don't do that again in any other exams!

SarahBarker1991

HSC
I would just like to say that for section three it wasn't actually that bad at all. Overall I thought the paper was fine. For question three the answer was just what you learnt but wasn't explicity conveyed. I did the Christian one and spoke about worship services, baptism and communion and how it all related to a connection with God.
It's not that bad.
They aren't going to test you on what you don't know. So use common sense and talk abotu what you know and show your knowledge.

clo-ree

HSC
Not fucking happy - that exam was a load of shit and to top it off:

1. Laptop wasnt there. (I have SP to type my exams)
2. Started half an hour after i was supposed to.
3. Excessive noise.
4. Kids in the building that werent supposed to be there.
5. A class also decided to come into the building when they werent supposed to be there.
6. The builders noise - also distracting.
7. Cleaners banging the door right next to the room for ages.

Then when i go and complain to principal about how fucked up the exam conditions were she tells me 'its a school - theres going to be noise...' and that she doesnt know how a class got into the building... ah hello idiot! they climbed over the fucking orange fence and walked past signs that said 'hsc exams in progress - keep clear.' She kept speaking to me like I was a piece of shit.

She then went on and said that she doesnt think its cause to file for misadventure - like hell Im not filing its my hsc!

I called the school psych and she said I have every reason to file for misadventure. Fuck you Mrs Principal.

Libby01P

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I was really lucky because our SOR teacher marked the paper last year and said to us they want to focus on a more inter-related approach, combining all facets of the religion. So we were lucky, I did Buddhism and wrote about all three components: environmental ethics, Temple Puja and the Dalai Lama. Yeah, we were the lucky ones.

tjo176

HSC
for section one

A
C
C
A (i know its b, im an idiot)
C
D
B
B
A
A

How about re/non re

jubz

HSC
i didn't think it was all that bad. i no some people will be touchy about it coz their marks are going to be really affected by RE, but mine are too.
basically the only difference i saw between this and questions on past exams was that this required u to read it properly and actually understand the religions ur studying, not just regurgitate a memorised essay on one of the three topics (ethics, significant person or practise).
we did christianity and islam at my school, so i did islam in section III. it might hav been harder for other religions, i don't know.
good luck everyone anyway!!

Woteva636

HSC
That question was total BS, i studied Christianity and Islam, and I am stuggling to find any basis for either question in the syllabus.
Oh well, if no one got it the nett result is the same as if it was really easy.:gift:

Cloesd

HSC
I blitzed section 3. All the crazy stuff I read in the news finally paid off! Forget learning the syllabus, I answered that question from general knowledge. I did Christianity.

Shit yeah.
Good man.

I think what section 3 what getting at, was NOT like some people believe a combination of all 3.

It was simply asking for a practice. The throw-off was that the quote they gave specifically catered for schools who chose "Eucharist" as their practice. Imagine your school had chosen to do the "Eucharist" topic, it would have been dead obvious from the quote they wanted you to talk about the practice.

For Islam i can see the question being interpreted in two ways. The first is enviro-ethics (which the quote seems to support), the second is the hajj (Which the question itself seems to support) i deem it to be the latter of these. The Hajj is what you needed to talk about, the quotation needed some twisting, but it could be made to support your Hajj points, however trying to twist a question to match a quotation would be ridiculous.

That said, if over 25% or so (no source, im guessing) of people write about all three instead of just one, or do something else unexpected, they'd have to change the marking criteria.. especially for a 40% of mark section like section 3.

gradez91

HSC
We weren't supposed to have learnt the quotes before.

The quotes were simply something to relate our topic to. I did the Islam question and the quote said something about "creation", so I did environmental ethics.

It was just a case of using your knowledge of one of the prescribed topics and relating it to the quote.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

It wasn't from the prelim course/syllabus, it was completely out there. You would not be able to answer such a question..
Well, perhaps I have not been informed of the full question.

Does anyone remember the whole question?

(also, I have never heard about the whole 30% prelim stuff... never seen it in documents before).

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

In SOR, it's only based on HSC.

Jay7

HSC
My whole year was like "what the fuck!". Even the teachers jaw dropped as they saw it.

But you do know why they did it. Too many schools do Christianity and Islam. So, they gave the most random and confusing questions to Christianity and Islam.

Dont believe me? Check out the Hinduism and Buddhism questions which were more straight forward.

HSC
I think the question was a lot simpler than a lot of people made it out to be. For the Islam question, just take the bits from Practice and Ethics which referred to the Qu'ran, and change the argument a little so that its focus is less on those actual things and more on the Qu'ran itself.

Aardvark

HSC
The throw-off was that the quote they gave specifically catered for schools who chose "Eucharist" as their practice.
Further convincing me I was on the money. I talked about how Christians are able to experience Jesus through communion, and how they want to experience the same things that the disciples did. I also talked about the holy spirit "filling people", people speaking in tongues, Pentecostalism, and pretty much a bunch of crazy assertions I've heard people make to link it all together, whilst linking it back to the quote whenever I could. I noted how Christianity was unique among the big monotheistic religions - in Judaism and Islam, their prophets and such are dead. But with Christianity, Jesus isn't "dead" per se; he's very much alive...and then I mildly touched on the events of Revelation, stopping short of sounding like a complete nutter.

I'm feeling quite confident with my answer...

lila03

HSC
It was ridiculouse, my school had like a mass breakdown, tears and all!
Its not on the syllabus!
Dw, if everybody had problems the marking centre will have to do something about it!

Gypo09

HSC
The board may do something if basically everyone appeals, but it's in the rules they can test the preliminary syllabus in the exam :D

Bad luck (I'm kinda loling at the fact no-one knew what to write though).
Like i said before a MAXIMUM of 30% of the preliminary course can be tested in HSC. Section 3 was clearly more than 30% of the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)