My answers (not including long response) (1 Viewer)

FlameFromBeyond

HSC
ok...i have a slight problem here!! i think i accidentally missed question 16. can someone plz help me out...what was q16??
you can't have missed 16! it was the first short answer one, and it was the question with the asteroid

moke

HSC
i think for this question, the misunderstanding is that they did not place a south pole magnet on the other side of the coil so i'm not sure if we could say that magnetic field is to the right since there is one magnet being used.
indeed you are right about the misinterpretation of the direction of the magnetic field, but the field is definetly to the right. it doesn't matter if there is only one magnet used. otherwise, we could say that even if there was another magnet, that the direction of the field would still be toward the north pole just because the other magnet was a long way away. draw a diagram of the field lines of a magnet. now imagine that the rotor is right next to the north pole. look at the direction of the field line in ur diagram. voila. to the fucking right.

slamduncs

HSC
N/A
indeed you are right about the misinterpretation of the direction of the magnetic field, but the field is definetly to the right. it doesn't matter if there is only one magnet used. otherwise, we could say that even if there was another magnet, that the direction of the field would still be toward the north pole just because the other magnet was a long way away. draw a diagram of the field lines of a magnet. now imagine that the rotor is right next to the north pole. look at the direction of the field line in ur diagram. voila. to the fucking right.
Or we could say that because there isn't another magnet that the field lines curve around head towards the south pole. And as shown in my diagram this constituents addition of field lines above and cancellation below, meaning it moves down, and the mass must be hung on Y.

moke

HSC
Or we could say that because there isn't another magnet that the field lines curve around head towards the south pole. And as shown in my diagram this constituents addition of field lines above and cancellation below, meaning it moves down, and the mass must be hung on Y.
do the experiment. if the rotor moves in the same way regardless of what end of the magnet you put near it then i will eat a turd. but as we did a similar experiment in class, and that didn't happen, i'm guessing my mouth will be kept turd free...

slamduncs

HSC
N/A
do the experiment. if the rotor moves in the same way regardless of what end of the magnet you put near it then i will eat a turd. but as we did a similar experiment in class, and that didn't happen, i'm guessing my mouth will be kept turd free...
I don't understand what you are trying to prove. I could draw another diagram showing how reversing the magnet will cause the X side to move up using my exact same principles. But I'd rather not, because you have just shown me you don't know jack.

moke

HSC
I don't understand what you are trying to prove. I could draw another diagram showing how reversing the magnet will cause the X side to move up using my exact same principles. But I'd rather not, because you have just shown me you don't know jack.
please tell me you are joking? according to you, if we switched the orientation of the magnet, the field would still be toward it as a small north pole would be attracted towards the south end. therefore according to your theory, the orientation of the magnet has not effect on the direction of force. which is wrong.

slamduncs

HSC
N/A
please tell me you are joking? according to you, if we switched the orientation of the magnet, the field would still be toward it as a small north pole would be attracted towards the south end. therefore according to your theory, the orientation of the magnet has not effect on the direction of force. which is wrong.
Sigh,

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9973/explanationgx.jpg

You getting it yet?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol slamduncs, moke is so much smarter than you right now, please stop talking

slamduncs

HSC
N/A
mate, im giving up on you. you are attempting to convince everyone that, in fact, to work out the direction of the field, first you work it out, then you do the exact opposite to what you just worked out. send me a bunch of apology roses when the BOS releases results.
Field lines around a magnet travel from North to South on the outside and from South to North on the inside. What exactly is there to work out? You make very little sense.

tonyharrison

HSC
Also, anyone who got A=34.5 is wrong and made this mistake.
I x I does not = 2I, it equals I squared. Therefore your answers were 69/2 = 34.5A when they should have been root 69 = 8.3A
fuck.

Ruptured

HSC
Can I get someone with a brain to assist me here.
I'm sorry to say it, but you aren't correct. The answer was definately X. You will not find anyone who agrees with you here.

EDIT: Field for a single bar magnet

check out the link, You'll see that the magnetic field on one pole doesn't turn around on itself within the width of the magnet

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)