Marked down for quoting racist slurs and cusswords? (2 Viewers)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Well, I'm doing Of Mice and Men right. Do you think teachers will mark me down if I drop the N word in a quote or "bitch"? Because those words are in these quotes I want to use.

If I can say nnnngg or bitch... what are some appropriate alternatives?

MooshyMoosh

HSC
When I did English, my teacher allowed me to just write the first letter or so, followed by astericks eg. S***. Since English teachers know these texts from cover to cover, I'd think that they'd get the point. Best to ask your teacher though as to what method you should use. Hope this helps!

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Thanks, I should mention that I'm quoting in a speech though.

MooshyMoosh

HSC
Ahhh I see. Well, it's probably best to ask your teacher first, perhaps email them [if you have their email]? I've run out of suggestions- sorry! Hopefully someone on here can offer more help :p

HSC
Uni Grad
If you think it's a cause for concern (which you you appear to) then ask teacher before you do it, but really if it's a quote then just say it, as long as it is backing up your point and is valid etc then there is no reason it should count against you.

HSC
if you think it's a cause for concern (which you you appear to) then ask teacher before you do it, but really if it's a quote then just say it, as long as it is backing up your point and is valid etc then there is no reason it should count against you.
+1

bored of sc

HSC
Markers are generally conservative so you should be careful. This goes for your creative writing pieces.

But I don't see why you can't quote the swear/derogatory words if the composer of your text used it. It's not you using the language, it's the composer.

phwarrr

HSC
I believe that it would be fine if it is a direct quote - you want to be accurate :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Seeing as it's a speech, just check with your teacher and i'm sure it'll be fine.

If writing an essay, as others have said you're quoting directly so it's fine. But you can always just put the 1st letter and "*" for the rest of the letters if you're that worried :)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Lol, my teacher okayed it. Dunno what the other markers will think.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If it is a necessary quote, then use it. I used the term "AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME" (as was written like that in my text), in both a speech and an essay, and I still topped my class.

alax dillon

HSC
yeah i would go with something like b***h. for an ORT i did Godspeed the Kurt Cobain Graphic novel and one quote i had to use asterisks on three of the four words in it. teacher understood it though.

Daisuke

HSC
I used, "I want more life, fucker," from Blade Runner in one of my essays and I was allowed to, they didn't say anything.

alax dillon

HSC
you can, but to make sure you dont offend markers its better to delete parts of it

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
English is freedom of expression you can say whatever the hell you want.
My friend got marked down for writing about rape last year lol...Although her story was fairly graphic.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
My friend got marked down for writing about rape last year lol...Although her story was fairly graphic.
My teacher said too many of 2009's HSC students wrote about rape/ violence and other teen angst things.

alax dillon

HSC
yeah they say its best to steer away from teen angst etc but then at the same time they tell us to write what we knoww, i mean contradiction much?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately in HSC, it's not. It's all about finding the right idea, and proving it.

Which is a shame...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)