First Place in Course (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Who knows, there's definitely a chance! You'll have to inform us when you check out the SMH list and you spot yourself, Dec 16/17 (or even 15th if it leaks haha). :uhhuh:
If i somehow get on there, i'll definitely tell you :)

God I really hope it leaks on the 15th :). Not because I'm expecting to see my name on there but because it's getting really annoying not having any new information to look at.

But I don't think they'll make the same mistake two years in a row. Pity.
You give them too much credit :p

roookie

HSC
on a completely different note... does anyone know of someone topping the maths's (ext 1, ext 2) or the sciences (bio, chem phys) or adv eng??
anyone got an answer for me? not asking for any names at all. just yes/no and for what :)

LordPc

HSC
Hmm look screw it then, sounds like I could be wrong, OR I could be right, BUT I DON'T CARE. Don't bother arguing with my earlier posts. Sorry for sending this thread off-track from the main topic and wasting your time, peeps.
actually jake, i think you might be right. not because your argument makes logical sense, but because its sheer illogicality is exactly what the board of studies has a good history of practicing

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
You give them too much credit :p

True. I guess if they can manage to screw it up once then I shouldn't be giving them the benefit of the doubt lol.

And roookie, I really wouldn't know one way or another but just from what has been mentioned already it seems like the Board might go through the list alphabetically and someone had received a call about an M subject (not maths, though) by about midday so I'd be saying that, yeah, those subjects have been allocated. Calls will probably continue throughout the weekend though to catch anyone who was out for the first call or to make alterations to the initial lists.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I really wouldn't know one way or another but just from what has been mentioned already it seems like the Board might go through the list alphabetically and someone had received a call about an M subject (not maths, though) by about midday so I'd be saying that, yeah, those subjects have been allocated. Calls will probably continue throughout the weekend though to catch anyone who was out for the first call or to make alterations to the initial lists.
Many BOS staff make the calls, so it's not strictly alpha order.

There are no "alterations" to the "initial lists".

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC

I was going off Namu's comment (page 2) that Sen Lin had apparently been called twice over the pre-HSC weekend last year, each time with different news.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Many BOS staff make the calls, so it's not strictly alpha order.

Then what's with calling some person twice? (once that he came outright first and then he came equal first later)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

jet

Banned
HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org.../230835/first-place-course/8.html#post4777330

As it appears, they do use 2U results in judging First Place in Course for Extension units.
I remember reading somewhere (don't know where right now) that the first mark they use is the external examination mark. Then, if two people get the same mark, they move to school marks. THEN, if they have the same school mark it's equal first, or if it's extension, they look at the lower course marks in the same way.

Hence why someone a few years back got 100/100 in Ancient history yet came 3rd in the state.

elmoateme

HSC
@57o1i
They wouldnt be doing them alphabetically if 'someone' received a call @ midday for an m subject because i know a certain person who got a call at around 4 for a significantly earlier subject.

Also, maybe they told Sen Lin the wrong thing accidentally so they had to call again.

jakennecon

HSC
Erm you guys realise there IS no first place in course list, right? Namu just knew several people who had topped several subjects. He can't disclose their names to anyone anyway.

jet

Banned
HSC
He only tells people subjects not actual names.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
People, please don't PM me about the list. People are too lazy to reply my email arghhh

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I remember reading somewhere (don't know where right now) that the first mark they use is the external examination mark. Then, if two people get the same mark, they move to school marks. THEN, if they have the same school mark it's equal first, or if it's extension, they look at the lower course marks in the same way.

Hence why someone a few years back got 100/100 in Ancient history yet came 3rd in the state.
Not quite. Here's the process:

If two or more students receive the top HSC Mark, the average of the examination mark and the assessment mark (each to one decimal place) is then used to select the top student(s). In the case of extension courses, if two or more students receive equal marks then the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration.
[Source:- Board of Studies NSW ]

lynton

HSC
I'm interested in seeing the schools the people go to who have got first place. Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)