First Place in Course (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Banned
HSC
lol, revoke your 1st in the state.
Lol, I actually don't think I deserve it...

Had 10 weeks to do the major project, and did it in 4 days right before it was due.

Stress fest, naturally. Thought I would drop it.

roookie

HSC

Had 10 weeks to do the major project, and did it in 4 days right before it was due.

wow u must be so happy u didn't drop it.

jet

Banned
HSC
wow u must be so happy u didn't drop it.
Very happy with cosmo. 9500 words + Bibliography = 12500 words in 4 days. Lots and lots of sugar. It's been like that with maths as well.

Last edited:

Tofuu

HSC
i think that tells us that you deserve it more since you probably know your stuff right out

jet

Banned
HSC
i think that tells us that you deserve it more since you probably know your stuff right out
Well it was an essay where none of the readings we were given were relevant to my project. So I did that much research and downloaded that many scientific papers that my internet was capped during the HSC!

wendybird

HSC
Same for me, but with cosmo. 9500 words + Bibliography = 12500 words in 4 days. Lots and lots of sugar.
Ouch! I totally feel ya. I wrote both my Philosophy papers (20% each) with 3 hardcore days of research + writing days before it was due. Still got 4th, so I guess it ain't half bad, this method of learning.

Well it was an essay where none of the readings we were given were relevant to my project.
Tell me about it! I had a stack literally a metre high of gender studies research + Sartre etc. Distinction courses...I lived in fisher library + killed forests worth of JStor for that subject.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Ouch! I totally feel ya. I wrote both my Philosophy papers (20% each) with 3 hardcore days of research + writing days before it was due. Still got 4th, so I guess it ain't half bad, this method of learning.
That's a good rank out of 46ish. Guaranteed HD :D

wendybird

HSC
still a state rank, though there'll be a fair few of us philosophers this years (lots of tied marks). Yes, a HD, and for Philosophy most ppl got D or HD, so hopefully the distinction scaling goes through the roof too :D

shaon0

HSC

Yeah, I remember hearing that.

wendybird said:
still a state rank, though there'll be a fair few of us philosophers this years (lots of tied marks). Yes, a HD, and for Philosophy most ppl got D or HD, so hopefully the distinction scaling goes through the roof too
Does the mark really matter in terms of ATAR?

Last edited:

wendybird

HSC
Does the mark really matter in terms of ATAR?
I'm not sure what you mean? This year there were about 4 philosophers tied on 4th, so while there are the top 5 state rankings for philosophy, in fact there will be 7 of us getting a state rank (because there were tied marks).

I was also referring to the strength of the distinction course cohort - most people this year, particularly in philosphy did extremely well - so last year's scaling (very close to 4U maths) might even be bettered. For example the scaling for Distinction course for 2008, (check the A3 table for greater accuracy), is roughly 94 HSC --> 98 (UAI aggregate).

But if you're referring to whether or not distinction courses count for ATAR? Yes, they most definitely do. :)

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Tell me about it! I had a stack literally a metre high of gender studies research + Sartre etc. Distinction courses...I lived in fisher library + killed forests worth of JStor for that subject.
Satre's great! Couldn't have been that bad was it? Did him when I studied Waiting for Godot

shaon0

HSC
I'm not sure what you mean? This year there were about 4 philosophers tied on 4th, so while there are the top 5 state rankings for philosophy, in fact there will be 7 of us getting a state rank (because there were tied marks).

I was also referring to the strength of the distinction course cohort - most people this year, particularly in philosphy did extremely well - so last year's scaling (very close to 4U maths) might even be bettered. For example the scaling for Distinction course for 2008, (check the A3 table for greater accuracy), is roughly 94 HSC --> 98 (UAI aggregate).

But if you're referring to whether or not distinction courses count for ATAR? Yes, they most definitely do. :)
Ok. I meant the latter ie whether or not it counts towards the ATAR.

jet

Banned
HSC
Ok. I meant the latter ie whether or not it counts towards the ATAR.
It certainly does - that's why I'm so happy, as it means I can do a bit worse in English than I previously thought.

wendybird

HSC
Satre's great! Couldn't have been that bad was it? Did him when I studied Waiting for Godot
Sartre IS great! But my essay question wasn't directly about Sartre, in fact it was "To what extent, if any, is the self affected by gender?"

So I was actually writing with reference to Simone de Beauvoir, but in order to make my argument that SDB was contradictorary, I had to examine the way she founded her ideas in "The Second Sex" on Sartre's Existentialism...add to that lots of post-structuralism (Foucault, Kristeva), Queer Theory and a huge amount on Judith Butler and "Gender Trouble"...and well, haha, the research was pretty immense.

Though fun, it was all quite fun.

+1 for Waiting for Godot! Loved it.

Last edited:

jakennecon

HSC
my email said "You should be suitably dressed in smart clothing – no jeans, no thongs, etc – something you could wear to a job interview."

I would say its quite formal but obviously, not like "a formal". Guys, wear nice pressed pants, white shirt, possibly a tie as well.

Michael? Yes, I got zee call. Oh and call me Wendy. :)
Hey Wendy - do you think guests can wear normal casual stuff?

jet

Banned
HSC
Hey Wendy - do you think guests can wear normal casual stuff?
It's not as if you have to get dressed up to the nines. Smart casual bordering on formal should be finE. At least a collared shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)