A Satire. (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I plan to satirise a book I absolutely hated, so much so I wanted to shoot myself by page 10 - but read to page 60-something anyway. I do realise it is ironic that during this course I will have to read the book in question again, along with about 10 others like it...

But still, being able to mock the genre afterward is a just and awesome reward.

My question is, how are satires and humourous stories seen? My tone is much like Max Barry's, and I'm not sure if the 60-something year old markers will appreciate this kind of contemporary work, which may be humourous to others but not funny to them.

Should I pin my hopes and hope that they see it as a satire, instead of a mindless rant against the genre?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Anyone? Doesn't anyone else think mocking stream-of-consciousness is a good idea...?

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Write a fucking essay and get 50/50

Srsly

They don't give a fuck about creativity, write an essay on something and get full marx and be creative when you truly can (I.e after school)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My tone unfortunately doesn't suit essays...

And the book is Mrs. Dalloway.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Who cares, warp your tone you idiot. It's not about creativity, so don't treat 4U as an outlet or you'll get an asterisk for a UAI. I know too many good people who did this.

Do what they want, write what they want and get a decent mark, then do your creative stuff at Uni.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So an essay... on the dullness of stream-of-consciousness writing, or something like that?

I'm just wondering why the creativity is frowned upon in EX2.

LordPc

HSC
i think planck is being quite negative is his views toward ee2

creativity is not at all frowned upon, poetry, creative writing, a speech or a video all require creativity. even critical essay needs a certain level of creativity as you need to pick an interesting topic. writing an essay on the timelessness of shakespeare wont turn any heads.

but it would help to have a good teacher (preferably a hsc marker) who can help you channel your creativity properly

a satire is not a terrible idea, but you may want to consider whether or not hatred for a single book is a strong enough basis for the many hours of work ahead of you

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
We got an HSC marker in, when my idea was writing a backstory to a Max Barry novel - she told me that I should read the 'classics' because the markers would know what I was talking about. Then, my teacher said that she agrees in that it would help, but disagrees in saying that you'll be writing something you have no interest in.

After that, I changed my idea to this satire - I've gotten a few reading recommendations, and my teacher told me to email her once I have made my decision on what course I'll take.

My hatred for this book may not be a strong reason, but it could be interesting - my rant is mainly against the genre, which raises more questions. I read a book listed as stream-of-consciousness (Last Exit to Brooklyn), but liked it - while I hated Mrs. Dalloway.

I'll see how it goes for now - I think - because it's the best idea I have at the moment.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
We got an HSC marker in, when my idea was writing a backstory to a Max Barry novel - she told me that I should read the 'classics' because the markers would know what I was talking about. Then, my teacher said that she agrees in that it would help, but disagrees in saying that you'll be writing something you have no interest in.

After that, I changed my idea to this satire - I've gotten a few reading recommendations, and my teacher told me to email her once I have made my decision on what course I'll take.

My hatred for this book may not be a strong reason, but it could be interesting - my rant is mainly against the genre, which raises more questions. I read a book listed as stream-of-consciousness (Last Exit to Brooklyn), but liked it - while I hated Mrs. Dalloway.

I'll see how it goes for now - I think - because it's the best idea I have at the moment.
I think satirical writing can endear itself to a marker if it presents a level of wit and intelligence that is exponentially above teenage 'standards of humour'.

I would definitely agree with your teacher about reading 'the classics'. I've said it before, peripheral reading is such an important element of Extension 2- it provides you both with substantial research material (pivotal in your success for the internal assessments) and sparks ideas and inspiration.

I think the only risk you run is somehow marketing your work as a rant. A satire is not a rant. If you even give a hint of intense dislike, it subverts all the research (which is supposed to be unbiased) and presents your work as an 'outlet', which, as someone said before, will not wash well with markers.

Remember, a satire has its foundations on clever and facetious mockery. You need to make sure your hatred doesn't override the standard of your work.

Good luck :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't intensely hate it - I just find it incredibly hard to read, and especially when my teacher says, "It's supposed to be all your thoughts on paper" - I think to myself, "No one thinks this slowly." Therefore, it's easy to mock - or at least, it is in a thought experiment.

I know of one SoC-mocking book, I might read that.

Thanks for your help!

LordPc

HSC

This sounds like a better reason. if you read two similar books, loving one and hating the other, exploring why this is so seems alright. I do remember hearing of one critical essay where a student loved the TV show Buffy, but in general found teen tv repulsive. the essay kind of explored what made Buffy so great, and everything else so crap (there was probably more, but I cant remember)

also, may I suggest you go and watch one of the best simpsons episodes, "Last Exit to Springfield"
(Last Exit to Springfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
While good, an essay doesn't really fit my usually witty and humourous tone I tend to put into things... and I'll definitely watch that Simpsons episode.

That being said, I forced myself to dance alone for three minutes for marks in PDHPE, so I might do it nonetheless.

The things we do for marks... =P

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Never underestimate the power of hatred! After all, hatred = passion and passion is what fuels a good major work, in my opinion =P.

I don't have enough knowledge of HSC markers to be able to say what they'd like, but I personally would enjoy reading a satirical, mocking piece. It would be a nice change from the stuff that you usually see in The Young Writer's Showcase. Goodluck! :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I notice you have an Exeggcute in your avatar. =P

I might read the Young Writer's Showcase, some other person in my class stole-ded it from the Librarium... I assume it's pretty philosophical and deep in it - not very humourous but 'powerful'.

Also thanks! Good luck in... whatever you will be doing then.

nutcracker

HSC
Mmm, yes a lot of pieces in the Showcase are philosophical and as you say, 'powerful', but I have come across a few light-hearted ones. In fact there was one, 2003 I think? Where the person said in his/her reflection statement that the purpose of their piece was simply to 'show off their writing'. So lol, yeah. I guess you don't have to go all philosophical to be considered good by the markers =P

Lol I just spent like 10 minutes reading up on what exactly Exeggcutes are xD I just randomly found that picture on deviantart and thought it was cute xP. Well, it was a good way to pass the time, which seems to pass very very slowly when you're waiting for HSC results ><""" (agriculture).

I'm doing a series of vignettes about my country =) Thanks for the luck =)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hopefully it'll be a nice change from the regular stuff. I envision most of the females do love stories or belonging of some sort...

I take it you pride yourself in not falling into the Pokemon craze =P

nutcracker

HSC
Hey come on now! You've gotta know that that's a gross generalisation! In fact, out of all the girls doing EE2 at my school (which is like, more than 20 I think), none of them are doing love stories or anything to do with belonging. We may like reading them, but that's just for fun =P We do know that literature exists to tell other stories :)

And as for Pokemon, haha xD I actually used to be pretty crazy about it xD But what with cramming my head full of maths and chem and eco, all the names have fallen right out =P. Except Pikachu! Who could forget Pikachu? ^^. :lol:

Misericorde

HSC
Most English markers are middle-aged white women with liberal arts degrees. Most of them will like, if not love, Virginia Woolf.

Bear that in mind, if you intend to be scathing towards one of the - no, the seminal feminist writer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)