• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
My four weeks 2IC relief just got extended to an 8 week relief... the 2IC was meant to come back from holidays this coming Monday, but they've asked her to go do Manager relief at another store for the next 4+ weeks instead.
How interesting.

Craven

HSC
i have a question about superannuation - hopefully somebody here will be able to help me.

i didnt think that i was eligble for super because i am under 18. but to my surprise on my payslip for the w/e 3/1/10 there was
*RA RSTSG9% 28.00
in the 'deductions and company superannuation' section. now i assume this is super being paid.

so i checked the ATO website and:
"To be eligible you must be:
  • aged 18 years or over but under 70 years of age, and
  • paid at least $450 (before tax) in a calendar month
If you are under 18, you are eligible if you work more than 30 hours a week."

that particular week i worked only 25.97 hours (but earned over $450)

however the week before i worked 32 hours, the week after 33.5 and the following week 38. no super was on my payslip for any of those weeks.

does anyone have and idea what is happening here?? when should i be paid super and have i missed out??
The company pays super monthly.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
He lordtopcat, what decision did you make re checkout supervision position?

Extraordinary meeting of supervisors today was great. CSM said she's sick of all the bitching bullshit and from now on it's her way or the highway and if she hears of anyone bitching instead of coming to her with their problems she'll demote them without hesitation and "make sure you're doing 12-9 shitkicking hours for the rest of your life". It was very inspiring, she said we need to have more passion and act as a team and professionals. Instead of having a 2IC and 3IC we're going to a system where every supervisor gets one night and/or weekend day. Although she said about me "i don't really know where you fit yet", which I hope alludes to more duty shifts (and not like a demotion to trolley boy).

HSC
Best shift today!!

Self Serve for 3 hours and then smoke shop for 1 hour then stock woohooo
best shift

and we had so much food in the lunchroom we had all this food cos we had a "Australia Day Luncheon"

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
He lordtopcat, what decision did you make re checkout supervision position?

Extraordinary meeting of supervisors today was great. CSM said she's sick of all the bitching bullshit and from now on it's her way or the highway and if she hears of anyone bitching instead of coming to her with their problems she'll demote them without hesitation and "make sure you're doing 12-9 shitkicking hours for the rest of your life". It was very inspiring, she said we need to have more passion and act as a team and professionals. Instead of having a 2IC and 3IC we're going to a system where every supervisor gets one night and/or weekend day. Although she said about me "i don't really know where you fit yet", which I hope alludes to more duty shifts (and not like a demotion to trolley boy).
I'm sticking with Produce. My plan is to stay in the Department for at least another 6 months, and then try and progress over to a Dry Goods department, to climb another step on the 'ladder'. If I had gone the other way, I don't think I would have the same opportunities as I would in a trade Department.

Man I wish our SM would stand up and tell everyone in our store to stop bitching. He is a good guy, easy to talk to etc but he really really needs to exert his authority. At the moment I would say the Store 2IC is actually in charge. What's worst with the bitching, is she is the 'head' of the table, so to speak. I actually refuse to take my break in the staff room now because of the pure reason that you can't sit in there without hearing someone talk about someone else, and sometimes they are really nasty comments too. So I either sit in my car or just sit in the produce room lol.

It's funny, when I came back to this store, I rang her up a few weeks before and asked what was going etc, and at the time there wasn't any positions, and she said "Well like you know we have a very high turnover of staff here, so something is bound to pop up".... And I was saying to a baker the other day..She needs to ASK herself why there is such a high turnover of staff. It's just not a very nice environment to work in.

Another big problem at our store is all the backstabbing. Like for example (Not using real names here) Julie, Meat manager talks to Maria, Deli manager about the store 2IC Pauline. Julie tells Maria that Pauline is a bitch, has about 10 breaks every hour, she is lazy, doesn't do any real work and 20 minutes later, Julie is sitting in the staff room drinking a cup of coffee with Pauline and talking about Maria.

But hey a work place wouldn't be a work place without the gossip, bitching and back stabbing. It's all part of the fun :)

(Although it makes me wonder...I hear something about pretty much every staff member, so what are they saying about me?)

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
I think I got over payed this week by at least $200! can't even check it because pay slips still aren't out.

I'm guessing next weeks pay is gonna be very low
1) Were you rostered on Sunday night and then the shift changed without much notice?

2) Payslips were actually printable on Monday, So they should have been available on Tuesday really. Is your cash office lazy? :p

HSC
Just keep stacking the smokes, work hard and ask the customers to repeat themselves if you can't hear them, but i like smokeshop its fun

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Managed to get some alone time with my CSM today as she was in the office doing rosters.
Talked about my roster for after school returns, talked about some of my "clashing" issues (which are fine now btw), talked about some other stuff, and then started saying "I want you to move around and learn everything, not stay in the 1 spot doing one thing for ever", which means one thing obviously (supervision/leadership roles).

She said "I can tell the duds, and I can tell the people who are good at what they do, and i see you around working hard" etc etc etc. This was the perfect chance for me to slip in "well i'm interested in supervision if/when you need anybody, i'm willing to help out".
She then says "well i can't right now, i'll need to wait till you're a bit older".
I knew that anyway, but if you get past my 'actual age' factor, people would see I act like a very mature 16, almost 17 year old (which is obvious currently anyway, it's just becuse I am """"15"""".

A) People NEVER guess I'm 15, I look much older then that
2) Some customers compliment me when/if they find out that I am 15..

But I do agree with her. She is a good CSM and will make the appropriate decisions...

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
It's a limitation of PC-EFTPOS, which is the 3rd party software used to implement EFTPOS transactions. When the cashier selects $123.45 for EFT tender, that amount is passed to PC-EFTPOS to be used for the EFTPOS transaction. If the cashier instead selected $143.45 (ie. $123.45 with $20 cashout), the amount $143.45 is passed to PC-EFTPOS, and then WoWPOS calculates that the amount passed to PC-EFTPOS is $20 more than the transaction value, which then becomes the customers change.

So to change the figure which is passed to PC-EFTPOS, the current EFTPOS transaction must be terminated.

Make sense sorta?? I can clarify if need be.
Yeah i know all that :p - But it'd still be nice if it could be done.

HSC
My store is losing the best STM we've ever had :( I'm actually disappointed, he is the best manager to have on super busy days because he actually works with you.

Just keep stacking the smokes, work hard and ask the customers to repeat themselves if you can't hear them, but i like smokeshop its fun
+ 1

Make sure that you are absolutely sure you are giving people what you want. In my store cigarette exchanges are a BIG no-no.

Also be strict on ID requirements, this guy today could not fathom why I would not accept his school ID. Be confident when need be.

I have never left smokeshop so full as I did today :)

PyroTek

HSC
Also be strict on ID requirements, this guy today could not fathom why I would not accept his school ID. Be confident when need be.
There are a bunch of rules, like, Drivers License, Passport and 18+ Card etc. I think that about covers what you can accept for smokes..

T 360: From the article:
"German discount supermarket chain Aldi led the charge to uniform pricing in 2008, and was followed later that year by Woolworths, which like Coles does not apply the policy to fresh produce or at a small number of remote locations."

Seems like woolies is ahead :p

Pyro

Last edited:
HSC
There are a bunch of rules, like, Drivers License, Passport and 18+ Card etc. I think that about covers what you can accept for smokes
Yeah, I explained that all to him, and he's like "but I lost my drivers licence". To make it worse the school ID didn't even have a photo on it, and it was his birthday TODAY. I was like, Happy 18th dude, proof of age card takes 5-7 working days, kthnxbi.

Harry778

HSC
Apparently after I do the night supervisors 4 week relief, I'm doing 4 weeks 3IC relief! Got told yesterday =D After that my CSM said he will continue training me for 3IC. Pretty exciting. Wonder if this means someone is leaving?

HSC
Good Job Harry, thats heaps good! :)

Haha I have had kids come up to me on smokeshop and give me like this dodgy school id with no picture and I'm like, "Sorry no, how am i even suppose to know it is you or just one of your friends" and I've seen my fair share of kids with fake IDs, and yes they get refused service because there fake id's are really dodgy

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Apparently after I do the night supervisors 4 week relief, I'm doing 4 weeks 3IC relief! Got told yesterday =D After that my CSM said he will continue training me for 3IC. Pretty exciting. Wonder if this means someone is leaving?
Awesome Harry, good stuff. How long have you been with the company, and been supervising again?

Harry778

HSC
Awesome Harry, good stuff. How long have you been with the company, and been supervising again?
Thanks heaps! Been at Woolies for 3 years and supervising about a year and half.
I do every wednesday 11-8 s/vision, and every second week end close s/vision
(3.30-12.30 sat, and 1.30-10.30 sun) Hope I can keep doing closes..I LOVE closes!
Do shit my way.

Harry778

HSC
Also MY MUM IS FINALLY GONE! This one girl in Deli said to me 'Soo glad shes gone, she was such a bitch' I was like yeahhh...mum is a bitch. Her face was just like :O is she you MUM?! Yeah...felt like calling her a derro slut bitch..mainly cos she is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)