Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics (1 Viewer)

quik.

HSC
I plan on building my body between Nov 09>Jan2010 (That's the first three months after my HSC exams later this year), Then I have a 1 month overseas trip planned. Your opinion on the full on 3 month thing?

The main concern I've got is the fact that I'll be working lots after HSC to save up enough cash to last me for that month away (plus to pay for gym membership+nutritious food). At work one is generally not allowed to simply eat/drink shakes. So I will have the rest of the day after something like a 6-8 hour shift. How does one cope with the job getting in the way of nutricion intake?
Three months of solid consistent effort should see good results, especially if you are a beginner. If you are planning on simply enjoying yourself overseas for a month, though, you will lose most of it. Up to you if you think it is worth it.

As far as work goes, what do you do? I've worked factory / production line jobs where you are only meant to have specific breaks but I just asked someone to cover me for 5min and went and grabbed something quick that I'd prepared earlier.

Quite frankly an 8 hour gap in keeping yourself fed is pretty huge, that is 1/3rd of the day where you can't eat, plus the 8 or more hours you are asleep... all adds up in the end.

kfnmpah

HSC
Why is everyone having milk in their post workout protein drinks!?!?!?!

I'm a month into my body sculpting training, and i've talked to a nutritionist and she has said that your body has to break down the milk before it can absorb the protein so usually you don't absorb all the protein as efficiently. Instead, you should use water so the protein is absorbed with maximum efficiency (Y)

Tim035

HSC
Why is everyone having milk in their post workout protein drinks!?!?!?!

I'm a month into my body sculpting training, and i've talked to a nutritionist and she has said that your body has to break down the milk before it can absorb the protein so usually you don't absorb all the protein as efficiently. Instead, you should use water so the protein is absorbed with maximum efficiency (Y)
If you are body sculpting / bodybuilding so as to one day compete then its worth considering details like this. I think most people just figure they'll get a decent amount of protein in to their system if they have their protein powder + milk within 30 mins. Plus if you are buying flavorless whey protein, it tastes like crap in water, you have to atleast add some milo or something.

HSC
Nice post. But I have one problem with this piece of advice:

If you feel like having 3 double quarters pounders with a couple of mcflurries (good times), go for it

You should NEVER eat empty calories and food that is generally unhealthy for you.

No single professional bodybuilder does this with good results, it's not at all hard to get all your calories from healthy wholesome food.

Last edited:

Oliver04

HSC
Hey. I came back here to respond to a pm. Left because of trolls.

I gained 20kg last year, dropped 5 deliberately. I have a 180kg squat, 120kg bench and 220kg deadlift.

I'll be on ironaddicts if anyone wants me, my user name is shenron.

dajazza

HSC
Is it true in order to get big you need to lift heavy? If so how do u know whats to heavy? Do i force myself to do 30kg even tho i can only do 15kg?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
not sure the exact figures, i think 80% of your 1RM or something, but do 3 sets of 5-10 (i'd do 7or8) reps, and a heavy enough weight so that you're thoroughly exhausted afterwards and cannot do anymore. If you still have the strength to squeeze out 5 more reps in the last one, then you should've used a heavier weight. If you can barely finish your last set of 7 or so, or can only do 6 (1 less than previous set), then imo that's a good weight.

PSHL

HSC
Theres 2 types of hypertrophy (growth) in muscles. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is an increase in the contractile proteins meaning you also see an increase in the strength of the muscle. This is achieved with sets of 1-5 reps.
Then there is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy which is essentially an increase in the fluid within the muscle fibre. This is achieved with 10+ reps.

Its harrd to answer if a weight is 'too heavy' without actually seeing you lift it. u also didnt mention what rep range ur aiming for?

hosay

HSC
N/A
I'm not trying to get big, just loose fat and improve all my lifts. Should i just eat normally, like no protein shakes, extra milk, extra meat?
I'm round 173cm tall and weight bout 77kg

hosay

HSC
N/A
^ btw i just started doing compound exercises like squat, dead lift, barbel row bout two months ago, so none of my lifts are in triple digits.

dajazza

HSC
I'm about to start weights. I got a few questions to ask.
I'm eating normally at the moment, but i've got a bit of a gut, should I lose that first or just get straight into eating alot and bulking?
Won't eating alot make you fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle.
When i get the desired size how do i make the muscles pop out and stuff?
Last one, how do I maintain it?

Stormey

HSC
I'm about to start weights. I got a few questions to ask.
I'm eating normally at the moment, but i've got a bit of a gut, should I lose that first or just get straight into eating alot and bulking?
"eating normally" - I'm pretty certain that your diet won't be as good as you think it is. List what foods you typically eat.

If your diet is right, you'll be burning of the fats while you exercise and throughout the day. The larger your muscles get, the more energy they will require. That energy will come from the fat/energy stores around your body.

Won't eating alot make you fat and fat doesn't turn into muscle.
If you eat the right amount of foods, your body will use them properly. For example, if your body needs 1500KJ of energy, and you eat 2000KJ, the extra energy will get stored into your fat stores for later use, thus building the fat. However, on the flipside. If you need 2000KJ but are only eating 1500KJ, then you will need to get the extra energy from somewhere. The body will use fat stores and muscle as it's energy source. It's very important to eat properly.

When i get the desired size how do i make the muscles pop out and stuff?
I think you're talking about a technique called 'cutting'. It's just simply following a diet and exercise regime that will reduce the overall amount of body fat you store, thus making your muscles 'stick out' more often.

Last one, how do I maintain it?
Simple, continue with your exercises :)

Many people don't realise, but if they're serious about weight training and bulking up, they have to continue for life. Many people jump in the gym, get big and then stop after 2 months because they're 'big enough'. Give them another 3 or 4 weeks and they'll be back to where they started. Same goes for those who want to lose fat. Once they lose the weight, they will stop their diets and exercise. They eventually return to the same stage at where they started.

Good luck.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
quick question (doesnt deserve it's own thread), are dumbell chest presses better than barbell benching? (since with dumbells you use the exact same amount of weight in each arm, instead of subconsciously applying more force with your stronger arm).

also does this mean that i should completely disregard barbell benching and just stick with dumbell press?

amirite

HSC
quick question (doesnt deserve it's own thread), are dumbell chest presses better than barbell benching? (since with dumbells you use the exact same amount of weight in each arm, instead of subconsciously applying more force with your stronger arm).

also does this mean that i should completely disregard barbell benching and just stick with dumbell press?

Some people feel it more with DBs. I switched from BB flat to DB flat and its helped a lot learning how to contract my chest better and consequently has improved my strength. I switched back to BB bench last workout because my forearms were fried from DB incline bench. Strength has gone up noticeably. IMO you should do incline and flat with DBs for one and barbell for the other. Keep alternating because they are slightly different exercises despite being substitutes for each other.

Im 6'0 weighing in around 84kgs. Slowly bulking/recomping. Eating whatever I like which tends to be 3-4000 cals a day. I was going to cut to about 10% (im at around 15% now) but I cant find any motivation to do so yet. My lifts are going up and im gaining muscle plus its winter so im not gonna be showcasing anything for six months. Hopefully im around 90kgs by september and ill cut so im lean for schoolies + summer (get that teen puss, nomsayin..).

Recently ive started to stall, seeing as im basically eating maintenance. Potentially I wont even need to cut, body fat % will drop because ill gain lean body mass and it should all be swell. gaining muscle while dropping BF, the unthinkable. :roll:

Lifts are: Bench - 70x6, Squat 130x8, DL 140x8. Bit reluctant to max out or work in the 1-5 range without a belt or spotter.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yeah, makes sense.

idk, doing db press doesnt seem like ur lifting much (simply because the numbers are smaller), but when you actually DO it, it's like 'whoa that's heavy'.

db pressing with 30kg each hand is MUCH harder than when i incline pressed 70kg (you wouldnt initially think so, you'd think 30 each hand is just like benching 60kg, but it most definitely isnt), and my spotter reckons that 30kg db press is equivalent to about 80kg on the barbell :/

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
IMO you should do incline and flat with DBs for one and barbell for the other. Keep alternating because they are slightly different exercises despite being substitutes for each other.
by this do u mean bb one week for incline/flat and db the next week for incline/flat?

amirite

HSC
by this do u mean bb one week for incline/flat and db the next week for incline/flat?
No. What I mean is best explained by what I do. So my chest routine is this:

Incline DB Bench
Cable Flyes
Flat BB Bench
Chest Fly machine

If I use DBs on incline then I will use BB on flat. And vice-versa. I also alternate between starting with incline and starting with flat. The flyes straight after benches get the blood pumping and contractions feel awesome.

Dumbbells employ more stabilisers than a barbell. You need more balance and control. You get used to it pretty quick though. What you said about using more weight with a barbell is also true. I think people tend to use 15kgs or so less with DBs compared to BBs. That has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the exercise though. Im a big fan of DBs at the moment.

Last time I used DBs for flat bench (2 weeks ago) I did 25x10, 27.5x8, 30x8, 32.5x5, 30x8. My Bench a few weeks ago also was like 60x12, 65x8, 70x6.
The difference between my DB BB comparison is probably smaller than with most people. But I think im stronger with DBs than with BB bench.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)