Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics (2 Viewers)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
one week seems too soon imo, maybe after 2-3 weeks, or a month, but your muscles would probably have to be growing at an epic rate.

Tim035

HSC
If you look at Bill Star's 5x5 routine, it follows an increase of 2.5% beyond the previous weeks max for the last set you do of the exercise.

E.g. 5 rep max squat = 100kg

Following week you would do 3 sets (80kg, 90kg, 100kg), then on fourth set you'd bump it up to 102.5kg and attempt 3 reps.

I think this is reasonable for compound movements like squats and deadlifts. For more isolated exercises like bicep curls, the time period for most individuals will be a bit longer and may involve increasing reps at one time point and weight at another.

- This is not set in stone advice btw, just my perspective / experience.

quik.

HSC
Great posts guys,

Need some clarification on gym workout progression. Should I seriously be looking at progressive lifting in only 1 week?

For example, 17kg Bicep curl, in 2 weeks 17.5 - 18.0 kg Bicep curl? (reasonable/too little/too much???)

Ive realised that my shoulders progress the most, Ive progressed from 65-76 standing shoulder press in 2 weeks, was pretty happy.
Biceps are a relatively tiny muscle. If you go from 17kg to 18kg that is like a 5-6% increase in weight. That is both an unrealistic expectation, and if you do manage it now and again, it is definitely not sustainable.

However, aiming to progress IN SOME WAY (weight is NOT the only way) from one workout to the next is very important. There is a fair bit written on the subject, do some reading.

Off the top of my head I would say the most common methods are weight/reps/time taken

Monstar

HSC
Nice write up guys.

As you guys all proceed further into your lifting, you'll all probably look into supplements.. heres a nice write up on a creatine (common supplement); very long but informative and succinct.

TMUSCLE.com | Catching Up On Creatine

HSC
If you look at Bill Star's 5x5 routine, it follows an increase of 2.5% beyond the previous weeks max for the last set you do of the exercise.

- This is not set in stone advice btw, just my perspective / experience.
Have you checked out texas method yet? I'm going to suss it out and give it a go, apparently the loading parameters are a lot better set than 5x5.

I'll miss the ramping period though :(

melb22

HSC
N/A
Have you checked out texas method yet? I'm going to suss it out and give it a go, apparently the loading parameters are a lot better set than 5x5.

i had a question for u mate. i have seen your journal on bb.com, really impressive. i have started rippetoe 2 weeks back. I am quite skinny, plan to gain around 10 kgs over the next 12 months. till now gained 2 kgs in the first 2 weeks. should i take whey protein or mass gainers?? I am 6 feet and weight 68.

HSC
i had a question for u mate. i have seen your journal on bb.com, really impressive. i have started rippetoe 2 weeks back. I am quite skinny, plan to gain around 10 kgs over the next 12 months. till now gained 2 kgs in the first 2 weeks. should i take whey protein or mass gainers?? I am 6 feet and weight 68.
If you've gained 2kg in the first two weeks it sounds like you're doing fine.

Eventually your results will slow to about a kg a month, which is what you're aiming for.

Aim for getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a month, mostly from meat/milk/whey then just try to eat until you're not hungry. If after a few weeks you haven't put on any weight try adding something new, like another protein shake or 2-3 glasses of milk.

Whey shakes (particularly whey protein concentrate you can buy cheap off ebay) is a great way of boosting your protein intake or making up for meals on occasion (for example, if mum decides she's going to make a soup that night). Weight gainers I dont like, they're an expensive mix of whey and carbohydrate - instead just buy some whey and oatmeal, which is the same thing but cheaper.

Also just a few tips for the program:
- Buy both the books. There were a lot of periods where I stalled to fix technique or didn't know how to program once linear progression because too much - if you have starting strength and practical programming you'll know exactly how to deal with this.

- I'd really recommend learning power cleans. If you don't have anyone to teach you, do pull ups on monday and chin ups on friday instead of barbell rows, as rows take a while to learn and won't put mass on you like a pull up will.

- Don't worry about accessories until later in the program - I have really weak abs and this began to cause a lot of problems in my squat and press, but most people are fine.

- In terms of food id recommend 2L of lite milk, 1 pound of meat and 2-3 scoops of protein per day. If you're still struggling to put mass on add some more milk.

Tim035

HSC

It looks very similar, except with more emphasis on wednesday being recovery day. I'll do some more reading in to how the loading parameters work , if it looks good I may alternate to it after a finish 9 - 12 weeks of 5x5.

I got a 1kg bag of WPC off ebay for $33 (including postage), a lot better deal then the $70-80 they want at rebel sport and most health stores / chemists.

Oh yeah.. Quick question- How do you do weighted dips? Just with a weight belt attached to a 20kg plate?

melb22

HSC
N/A
If you've gained 2kg in the first two weeks it sounds like you're doing fine.

Eventually your results will slow to about a kg a month, which is what you're aiming for.

Aim for getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a month, mostly from meat/milk/whey then just try to eat until you're not hungry. If after a few weeks you haven't put on any weight try adding something new, like another protein shake or 2-3 glasses of milk.

Whey shakes (particularly whey protein concentrate you can buy cheap off ebay) is a great way of boosting your protein intake or making up for meals on occasion (for example, if mum decides she's going to make a soup that night). Weight gainers I dont like, they're an expensive mix of whey and carbohydrate - instead just buy some whey and oatmeal, which is the same thing but cheaper.

Also just a few tips for the program:
- Buy both the books. There were a lot of periods where I stalled to fix technique or didn't know how to program once linear progression because too much - if you have starting strength and practical programming you'll know exactly how to deal with this.

- I'd really recommend learning power cleans. If you don't have anyone to teach you, do pull ups on monday and chin ups on friday instead of barbell rows, as rows take a while to learn and won't put mass on you like a pull up will.

- Don't worry about accessories until later in the program - I have really weak abs and this began to cause a lot of problems in my squat and press, but most people are fine.

- In terms of food id recommend 2L of lite milk, 1 pound of meat and 2-3 scoops of protein per day. If you're still struggling to put mass on add some more milk.

HSC
It looks very similar, except with more emphasis on wednesday being recovery day. I'll do some more reading in to how the loading parameters work , if it looks good I may alternate to it after a finish 9 - 12 weeks of 5x5.
Yeah, when you're doing heavy deadlifts, overhead presses and front squats the wednesday isn't so much of a 'light day' at all...

I got a 1kg bag of WPC off ebay for $33 (including postage), a lot better deal then the $70-80 they want at rebel sport and most health stores / chemists.
But 5kg for $90 off ebay is even cheaper :)

Oh yeah.. Quick question- How do you do weighted dips? Just with a weight belt attached to a 20kg plate?
You got it, though I can barely do one dip without weights so you might have to start off with less.

quik.

HSC
The two are intertwined for me, if I don't do dips my bench ends up stalling

HSC
The two are intertwined for me, if I don't do dips my bench ends up stalling
I get the same but with the overhead press.

I really don't do many exercises, I bench, squat, deadlift, press and row, as well as weighted sit ups and some barbell curls and close grips so i can do arnie impressions infront of the mirror. I'm thinking about dropping rows and doing power cleans instead, or just adding power cleans.

A long time ago I experimented with a high volume routine. Skull crushers which did shit, and direct calfwork hurt me. Leg extensions did very little for me as well.

I've tried incline presses, lunges, side and rear laterals - they were okay. I've tried pull ups and they worked very well, but I lack the equipment. Forearm work and neck work worked, but weren't especially needed.

I think most people have about 4-5 exercises that work for them. These are mine and I just focus on getting stronger in those key lifts.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
I got the 1kg bag for starters just to make sure it's decent quality before I invest $100.

I was a gymnast for ~12 years, so I find dips and chin ups fairly easy. On the down side, my knees and ankles are shot and already showing early signs of osteoarthritis...

mr_robato

HSC
Hay quik, nice effort buddy.

I plan on building my body between Nov 09>Jan2010 (That's the first three months after my HSC exams later this year), Then I have a 1 month overseas trip planned. Your opinion on the full on 3 month thing?

The main concern I've got is the fact that I'll be working lots after HSC to save up enough cash to last me for that month away (plus to pay for gym membership+nutritious food). At work one is generally not allowed to simply eat/drink shakes. So I will have the rest of the day after something like a 6-8 hour shift. How does one cope with the job getting in the way of nutricion intake?

I guess It's just time management... Or, I could have my shake pre-prepared and to pretend I'm having the usual quick drink and consume it then!

Apologies for such a badly worded post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)