• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Class Ranking (3 Viewers)

sakatahahaha

HSC
N/A
I was wondering i know the number 1 ranking in all the classes is really important but what about number 2 ranking ? i mean this teacher was trying to explain it to me and she said that say person A gets 92% assesment mark and 80% HSC mark and person B gets 84% assesment mark but 94% HSC mark person A will take his hsc mark ? if thats true it doesnt seem really fair ..

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
yeh it's not that fair. but that's life. it's not fair, i guess you're gonna have to get used to it.

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
if thats true it doesnt seem really fair ..
Person A deserves the 1st HSC mark because they've been consistant throughout the whole year whereas person B didn't put as much effort throughout the whole year and could of crammed the night before the HSC and got an excellent mark. Meanwhile, person A was suffering from a whooping cough the whole week before the HSC and attended a funeral the day before the HSC.

It's all relative.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Person A deserves the 1st HSC mark because they've been consistant throughout the whole year whereas person B didn't put as much effort throughout the whole year and could of crammed the night before the HSC and got an excellent mark.
agree : ) how is it unfair as Person A had worked hard throughout the year and get the best internal mark?

NewiJapper

HSC
I was so thankful I got first in my course for ext eng. It saved my hsc mark LOL. Didn't do that well in the exam, did extremely well throughout the year :) Trust me, if someone is ranked first, they deserve that rank! Unless the whole class is retarded.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
that's what misadventure is for.
this. but i'm not sure that covers just the basic whooping cough. It would have to something more serious like a death, or an important family event that required you to travel far.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
the rankings process and how this aligns to assessment marks is pretty fair

but the only thing that pisses me off is that it's susceptible to bias and teacher's preferences for certain student's work.. although i guess that's luck and depends from teacher to teacher anyway

ibbi00

HSC
You will always keep your Exam Mark. Your assessment mark is obviously dependent on your rank. The highest Exam Mark in the cohort will become the assessment mark of whoever is first. That's extremely fair in my opinion. If you came first you obviously expect the highest internal/assessment mark...

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
this. but i'm not sure that covers just the basic whooping cough. It would have to something more serious like a death, or an important family event that required you to travel far.
i've known people to get advantages for really trivial things. it shits me.

Lumix

HSC
Okay, I'm going to use the same scenario where Person A has the 92% assessment mark but received 80% HSC mark and person B gets 84% assessment mark but 94% HSC mark. Will person B be given the 80% HSC mark of Person A or will he retain his 94% HSC mark so that both Person A and Person B receive the 94% HSC mark?

If Person B loses his HSC mark then that is extremely unfair.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, I'm going to use the same scenario where Person A has the 92% assessment mark but received 80% HSC mark and person B gets 84% assessment mark but 94% HSC mark. Will person B be given the 80% HSC mark of Person A or will he retain his 94% HSC mark so that both Person A and Person B receive the 94% HSC mark?

You trollin'?
P A = (94 + 80)/2 = 87
P B = (depends + 94)/2 = ??

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You'd still have to employ tons of people to standardise all the marks given and make sure it's all on the same standards... it's a good thing to wish, but ultimately unfeasible.

Fake-Name

HSC
I did really bad on my first maths assessment and I'm probably ranked around 7th or 8th in the class. Does that mean that if my ranking remains this low, the 7 or 8 people ahead of me will get a higher ATAR in maths?

Thanks.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There's like loads of assessments to go; don't give up. And Fake-Name, I have no clue what your question is asking? (Please clarify "ATAR in Maths")

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I did really bad on my first maths assessment and I'm probably ranked around 7th or 8th in the class. Does that mean that if my ranking remains this low, the 7 or 8 people ahead of me will get a higher ATAR in maths?

Thanks.
If this trend continues their internal maths assessment on their HSC Certificate will be higher and hence, their chance of beating you in maths is higher. If you get like 100% for hsc you might beat them though :L

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

In your scenario Person A gets 94 as their moderated assessment mark and 80 for their exam so a final HSC of (94+80)/2=87
Person B will get 94 for their exam mark and a mark about 8 marks lower than Person A so a moderated exam mark of 86 giving a final HSC of (86+94)/2=90

In the final wash-up both benefit by the strength of their best performance but are pulled down by their weaker performance in 50% of the final mark. So Person B's great exam mark has benefitted both of them - as Person B keeps that exam mark and Person A who would have strenghts in areas other than exams, or who hasn't put in a lot of effort at the end, has been rewarded for consistency throughout the year but been pulled down by something - poor exam skills, poor exam preparation etc. If it was because of illness or other factors that would lead to a misadventure then they would be getting 94 for both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)