• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soldiers are not heroes (2 Viewers)

HSC
Fire fighters are heros because they are protecting people, not killing them.

I dont think soldiers who elect to fight in unnecessary wars are heros I think they are killers. Thats basically it and it was an easy point to get from my jibberish.

They get enough money to live and they have the option to find work or remarry.

Plenty of single mothers with kids are surviving.
Australian Army Engineers rebuilding Afghanistan are they murderers as well?

They get enough money to live and they have the option to find work or remarry.
How do you quantify enough money to live? You can't even tell me what benefits a war widow is entitled to after making claims earlier on that they get stacks of money...

Are you 12? Someone who loses a loved one has the right to ask the question of how they are going to face the future without them, to suggest anything otherwise is an outrage.

Last edited:

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
That big anti-war communist Robert Gates

"In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the president to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should 'have his head examined,' as General MacArthur so delicately put it,"

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=750441&f=20

HSC
That big anti-war communist Robert Gates

"In my opinion, any future defense secretary who advises the president to again send a big American land army into Asia or into the Middle East or Africa should 'have his head examined,' as General MacArthur so delicately put it,"

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=750441&f=20
Right, have I even put forward my opinions on the conflicts in Afghanistan or Iraq?

I remind you what we are discussing is that

The AFP's role is policing and support, the ADF's role is to apply blunt force and to murder.
Yet again you can't back up your statement... Just accept you are not as smart as you would like to believe.

Last edited:

Existential

HSC
N/A
david barnes

functionally retarded
It is academically correct to quote yourself.
I must say - davidbarnes your argument is flawed. You cannot have it all ways here. Making general statements like you did (quoted and mocked on previous pages) is a very narrow way of looking at soldiers.

Yes, some soldiers are brave and should be commended. However, there are many (Australian included) that are as bad as the terrorists they're supposed to be fighting against.

A little cynicism here I believe is warranted due to the fact that war itself is in many cases is blatantly unnecessary.

We don't want another Vietnam not because the soldiers were treated badly upon return to Australia, but because the war itself was a waste.

So, I agree that some soldiers are heroes - but not every soldier should be termed a hero (no more than other people in other professions being termed a hero or equivalent).

HSC
I must say - davidbarnes your argument is flawed. You cannot have it all ways here. Making general statements like you did (quoted and mocked on previous pages) is a very narrow way of looking at soldiers.

Yes, some soldiers are brave and should be commended. However, there are many (Australian included) that are as bad as the terrorists they're supposed to be fighting against.

A little cynicism here I believe is warranted due to the fact that war itself is in many cases is blatantly unnecessary.

We don't want another Vietnam not because the soldiers were treated badly upon return to Australia, but because the war itself was a waste.

So, I agree that some soldiers are heroes - but not every soldier should be termed a hero (no more than other people in other professions being termed a hero or equivalent).
Finally someone else looking at this topic objectively.

Climactic

HSC
I wasn't defending the soldiers, but profound stuff bro, maybe if that man is so utterly fucked up in the head as to call living under Taliban style Islam "freedom".

Existential

HSC
N/A
Them terrorists is pretty brave. Are they to be commended too?
*heroes (western interpretation). the point i was making is that you can't say ALL soldiers are not heroes, or ALL soldiers are heroes. this is a grey area and should be trested as such.

Finally someone else looking at this topic objectively.

Last edited:

HSC
he did: perspectivism.
He made sweeping statements and generalizations, when challenged he was unable to back any of his arguments up with fact. If you want to present an opinon do not try to make it seem to be fact. Simple.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
your inability to divine the ultimate connotation of that statement was not his fault.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Someone who is not in the Military can hardly be held as indicative of the Military can they champion?

And FYI the engineers who work to rebuild the country, guess where they come from... the Military.
you're missing my point entirely. I'm not saying the military is bad, i'm simply saying that i'm unsympathetic to people who only join the army to kill people. If they sincerely believe in rebulding countries, defending their own etc. then that's fine for me.

HSC
you're missing my point entirely. I'm not saying the military is bad, i'm simply saying that i'm unsympathetic to people who only join the army to kill people. If they sincerely believe in rebulding countries, defending their own etc. then that's fine for me.
Have you met a single person from the Army who says the only goal they have is to kill people????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)