andrew bolt GUILTY (8 Viewers)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
so really saying that all 1/16th aboriginals only claim aboriginality for the glorious benefits isn't slander because it's true

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Most 1/16th abos dont even look abo. I know for a fucking fact i dont.

Lentern

HSC
No I don't because they've entered a contract saying they will limit their freedom of speech to suit the needs of their client

Come on man
Of course, there are mitigating circumstances in that situation but that's the point, it can be mitigated, or fettered, to stick to our brief. The idea that speech is absolutely free is a nonsense which you've as good as conceded. Likewise I doubt you would defend a journalist publishing the details of a seven year old child who is currently deeply involved in legal proceedings, to use a gruesome example, as the alleged victim in a rape case. What about false speech? Can't it be construed that compelling someone to tell the truth under oath is denying them their otherwise right to tell lies?

Freedom of speech is encroached upon in all sorts of situations, the question is one of balancing the disadvantage that it places upon the individual to restrict the right versus the public interest. I think that whatever disadvantage Andrew Bolt is put at by not being able to spread his tawdry filth is insignificant compared to the benefits of sparring innocent and unassuming members of the public from racial vilification. You may not, there is no denying it is an issue of conjecture but don't give me some crap about freedom of speech being absolute, for god sake.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
in before someone addresses Lentern's ends justify means slippery slope

LonelyWolf

HSC
i respect your right to say some pretty stupid stuff but i also reserve the right to call you a fucking knob

too far brofox, rape and murder? wat is wrong with u
oh that. i was serious about that.

completely incompetent

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
Lentern, how do you feel about 1/6 ~white~ urban aborigines taking affirmative action positions/benefits?

Keeping in mind that, particularly in the case of public service positions and the like, these things can only be offered to a fairly limited number of people(Aboriginals).

Lentern

HSC
Lentern, how do you feel about 1/6 ~white~ urban aborigines taking affirmative action positions/benefits?

Keeping in mind that, particularly in the case of public service positions and the like, these things can only be offered to a fairly limited number of people(Aboriginals).
I think at the very heart of affirmative action is desire to provide opportunities for social mobility for individuals whom otherwise would be unlikely to by virtue of a socieconomic disparity that has emerged between subcultures before the said individuals time and beyond the said individuals control. If said individual by virtue of these benefits begins to achieve some social mobility, begins entering new circles which he or she would otherwise have been unlikely to enter without the affirmative action, for some hot headed windbag to then turn around and say that it's wrong simple because said individual doesn't look the part is absolutely contemptible.

The debate about affirmative action generally is a legitimate debate, to start launching attacks on it's beneficiaries because they don't conform to some pre colonial archetype of what an aborigine should be is disgusting.

Last edited:
HSC
should there be a limit to how much aboriginality is in your family to receive benefits y/n

like say if a relative of yours was aboriginal 6 generations ago

also indigenous identity is supposed to be strongly related to belonging to their family group and participation in their culture so couldnt that be a better qualifier

if you go to corroboree 3 times a week you get abstudy

Lentern

HSC
should there be a limit to how much aboriginality is in your family to receive benefits y/n

like say if a relative of yours was aboriginal 6 generations ago

also indigenous identity is supposed to be strongly related to belonging to their family group and participation in their culture so couldnt that be a better qualifier

if you go to corroboree 3 times a week you get abstudy
Don't know enough about it to make an informed call there, find me something to read from a thinktank or royal commision etc and I'll make my way through it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)