General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

herbs1

HSC
uhh...what's that got to do with me?
Personally I identified that "social values and attitudes play a pivotal role in determining whether one is able to attain a sense of place in society"

XRJ

HSC
N/A
Re: How Great Was That?

Urgh. I think I did OK...

Section I - did that second. Did not finish e).
Section II - did that last. It';s a short short story, but mentioned some descriptive stuff about a guy who belongs to home but realises he isn't there.
Section III - did that first, I think I answered it right. How the migrant experience affected connection which influenced perception / opportunities a place presents to create connection and influence perception / the transient nature / societal attitudes to Christine. Hopefully mark is higher than the other two.

I'm hoping maybe 80-85% before scaling????

michaeljennings

HSC
You were not required to use the stimulus. If your creative wasn't focused on remembered places, you haven't answered the question which would result in a significant deduction of marks.
Nah, a teacher at our school is a senior marker, and he constantly tells us that a well written story will get better marks than an okay story that uses the stimulus, because too many people write terrible stories.

So good story even without use of the stimulus = automatic good marks. so as long as you focused on remembered places that person should be fine

TorMental

HSC
uhh...what's that got to do with me?
I think because you worded it differently. Its not connection with people(or influences) that shape our sense of place. Its belonging to a place that shapes our 'perception' of belonging or not belonging.

'The question said something like - An individual's perception of belonging or not belong are shaped by their connection to a place' Something like that.

He saying that you are wrong - pretty much.

SayWut

HSC
Personally I identified that "social values and attitudes play a pivotal role in determining whether one is able to attain a sense of place in society"
But doesn't that directly tackle what the question was asking for?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Nah, a teacher at our school is a senior marker, and he constantly tells us that a well written story will get better marks than an okay story that uses the stimulus, because too many people write terrible stories.

So good story even without use of the stimulus = automatic good marks.
I don't see how this correlates with what I said.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Explore how perceptions of belonging and not belonging can be influence by connections to places.

HSC

Learnt Feliks Skrzynecki, Migrant Hostel and St. Patrick's College and almost cried with joy when I realised the question was on place.

I tried to manipulate my creative for place, added a bigger focus to places but I don't think I did it well enough, probs max 12/15 for that.

Overall, hopefully 13+ for the essay, 11-12/15 for creative and 13+ in comprehension, so high 30's/low 40's would be smashing.
I wrote about the exact same poems lol. I only mentioned 1 RT (Requiem for a Dream) so whateverrrrrrrrrrrr

no moar belonginggggggggg

HSC
for s3...will different texts be scaled differently???? cause Dickinson was about useless as a Serbian goat in answering that question
i got rapped hopefully 30+/45...this will mean i must get about 57/60 tmrw for a band 6....fml screwed hsc already :'(

NubMuncher

HSC
To the people saying that the creative stimulus allowed you to talk about "people", you're wrong. The stimulus did however let you talk about how one can have a sense of belonging to place due to the people that you are with in that place, however you probably had to link it pretty obviously. Also, it had to have been a reflection. End of story.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah… I pretty much have to get 100% tomorrow if I have any chance of getting a good mark. :/

SayWut

HSC
Explore how perceptions of belonging and not belonging can be influence by connections to places.
So would it of been alright if I went about by saying that societal values and attitudes have the ability to influence ones perception of belonging as it shapes their perception of belonging based on their personal subjective experiences of places? (e.g. Dickinson's distaste for materialistic values led to her social isolation from her negative experience of social interaction) or am I just fucked?

smartalec

HSC

i agrer, the creative was extremely specific...

i talked about how the person lacked a connection to the world, is thsy ok for place?

NubMuncher

HSC
Well in this case not the stimulus, but we've constantly been told that its more important to write a good story than to answer the question/use the stimulus.
I disagree with this. We were told a strong story that does not relate to the question is capped at 10/15. An average story that clearly answers the question can get a higher mark than that; the best story for our trials got 9/15 because it didn't reflect the question and a rather stereotypical story received 13/15.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
To the people saying that the creative stimulus allowed you to talk about "people", you're wrong. The stimulus did however let you talk about how one can have a sense of belonging to place due to the people that you are with in that place, however you probably had to link it pretty obviously. Also, it had to have been a reflection. End of story.
pretty sure it says people.

HSC
So would it of been alright if I went about by saying that societal values and attitudes have the ability to influence ones perception of belonging as it shapes their perception of belonging based on their personal subjective experiences of places? (e.g. Dickinson's distaste for materialistic values led to her social isolation from her negative experience of social interaction) or am I just fucked?
i'd like to know about this too....cause i thought you couldn't talk about society and stuff like that,,, because i think the exploration of this was required:: conection to places--->belonging,,, & not: belonging-->connection...what ppl think??

yea dickinson was hard to adapt

NubMuncher

HSC
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but if you are saying that one must be accepted in society to belong to place, I think you're sweet :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say that would be acceptable for that text/Crucible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)