Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

NubMuncher

HSC
Re: wtf are Module B man..........

this is what I did but a lot of people in my cohort is saying that you had to analyse the full poem.
I didn't do Gwen though I did yeats and the question said "how does your response to the final stanza of Among school children ... to the poem or Yeats' work in general" Something like that, making it possible to talk more generally about Yeats' work.

HSC
Uni Grad
Going back over Mod B with a teacher and I realise that no, my response to the closing stanza of 'the violets' does not inform my judgement of this poem and Harwood's poetry as a whole. Now if only I wrote that in the exam =[
yeah coz it was an to extent question, so you could always say that it didn't, like what I did. from there I just spat out whatever I had memorized on the day before :)

Glorious

HSC
I said that the ending of Hamlet allowed for a nice ending to a play full of existential questioning. Causing the ambiguity of the play to stop and allowing the audience to develop an opinion about the nature of existence and the nature of justice. Is that right?
Well if you went into detail and explained them with relevant points supporting your judgement, then yeah. If it was generic and lacking substance, then it wouldn't be of a high standard essay, because it asks you with DETAILED reference to the play.

katoji

HSC
Well if you went into detail and explained them with relevant points supporting your judgement, then yeah. If it was generic and lacking substance, then it wouldn't be of a high standard essay, because it asks you with DETAILED reference to the play.
What would you regard as detailed exactly?

musing

HSC
Nobody did Citizen Kane? N...nobody? Well, okay. I thought this question was quite all right, actually. I mean, the final scene of CK pretty much ties the whole film together, so I could happily just use my prep-prepared themes (power corrupts ideals, truth is indeterminable, cinema = invasion of privacy) and just go "all this is reinforced in the last scene through symbolisation of burning sled / Thompson not finding out rosebud / "No Trespassing" sign."

So, no complaints there. :)
Citizen Kane was perfect.

largarithmic

HSC
Pshhhh people shouldn't be complaining about this at all, module B was in my opinion a fantastic question. It made you stop and think, and look at how something shapes and relates to the rest of your material, and it really throws out the people who did what you're not supposed to be doing in english and thats blatantly memorising and regurgitating essays. And as for those doing poetry or speeches, you're supposed to be studying the whole thing anyway instead of just focusing in and only learning two or three.

The board of studies needs to have the power to do this sort of thing when it wants to to throw up mindlessly prepared responses and throw in the more legitimate aspect of english examination; that being writing and thinking ability. If you ask me they should be asking many more questions like that in module B.

jamesfirst

HSC

I basically did:

A valediction - maturation
Triste, triste - maturation
Sharpness of death - transience of time, memory, maturation
Violets - transience of time, memory, maturation.

WaterIsLiquid

HSC
Pshhhh people shouldn't be complaining about this at all, module B was in my opinion a fantastic question. It made you stop and think, and look at how something shapes and relates to the rest of your material, and it really throws out the people who did what you're not supposed to be doing in english and thats blatantly memorising and regurgitating essays. And as for those doing poetry or speeches, you're supposed to be studying the whole thing anyway instead of just focusing in and only learning two or three.

The board of studies needs to have the power to do this sort of thing when it wants to to throw up mindlessly prepared responses and throw in the more legitimate aspect of english examination; that being writing and thinking ability. If you ask me they should be asking many more questions like that in module B.
yeah i agree with this dude, although i still hated hamlet. talked about how the natural order of the world is restored with his death, manipulation of people around him. justice always prevail, and law is absolute, those who defied it were dead. except R & G.really hope for a 10/20, honestly dont think pass though.

jamesfirst

HSC

Were you trying to make it difficult?
pretty much. It was an advice from a tutor.

I got 19/20 for my trials... let's see how I'll go in this one. The question was pretty generic I suppose.

TheWolfsLunch

HSC

pretty much. It was an advice from a tutor.

I got 19/20 for my trials... let's see how I'll go in this one. The question was pretty generic I suppose.
I suppose, if I was good enough (or had a tutor), or wanted to actually study, I probably would have done the same.

Good work :D

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Speeches, did not study for Suu Kyi, sweet jesus I was a goner.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I knew Suu Kyi barely but had to bullshit my way through, chose Atwood for the other one and that was okay.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Our school did George Orwell's essays and while the question was a bit odd, like, how this one extract can tell you about all his writing and shit, I managed.
This essay extract was from one of the essays I am more confident with, which was good.
Plus, free quotezz~~

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
I'm not trying to sound discouraging, but Module B is really showing the change which BOS is trying to make in the HSC.

Over the past so many years, HSC English had only been this literary analysis about the how, but look at this Module B question, it is fantastic. They are asking us to stop and think, to think about the wider considerations and the texts and possibility of further development in your judgment of the text after reading the extract on the top of the page. That the exam itself is not telling us to write our essay immediately without any considerations of changes in your judgment, but they actually go, hey okay, after this reading this does this change your judgment? You can back up your judgment bit by bit of the play, and talk about the extract itself.

God I seriously love this question, it's not so much about the HOW anymore. But it is now about the greater meaning and philosophy within the text. Shifting really to an extension 1 level of analysis, which is why and you use the how to back it up. This question is a thinking question, one which requires reflection, not memory.

jamesfirst

HSC
What's the maximum mark I can get if I basically wrote 100 words for the specified poem while I wrote like 200 for other prepared poems.

xochitl

HSC
Module B: Give a detailed reference TO THE POEM YOU DIDN'T HAVE IN YOUR PREPARED RESPONSE. KGO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)