General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

Q4 is C or B (I forget) It says it in one of mah text books. Can't be D because Genes=DNA so that would be redundant to have DNA+Genes.
Q20 is C because punctuated equilibrium is the rapid change in evolution (learned this morning. lol)
Q1 is B. So obvious. All the others are pretty stupid answers (no offence).
Yeah typo on my part I meant it to be C.
While punctuated equilibrium is about rapid change, it was developed due to the lack of fossil record.
See: http://www.living-fossils.com/2_1.php
The history of most fossil species includes two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism: 1. Stasis. Most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear; morphological change is usually limited and directionless. 2. Sudden appearance. In any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/VIIA1bPunctuated.shtml
No preservation: No fossils representing transitional forms are preserved because of their relatively small population size, the rapid pace of change, and their isolated location.

RawrJohnT

HSC
I'm going to be rather pissed if they award these extra marks and this raises the cut-off for the bands.

Seriously people if you haven't come across the word Cytotoxic T-cell, you're doing it wrong...

Also, there are no such thing as 'Killer T-Cells', sure, there are NATURAL KILLER T-CELLS, but they can't possibly award that.

Last edited:

biglongy

HSC
I thought it was basically straightforward.

Althought that stupid vein artery multiple choice was lame as. Shittest diagrams wasnt easy to interpret. Def got that one wrong. :smile: and likewise the etcotherm in the cage. Since when were we meant to data anaylsis equipment.. jerks

RawrJohnT

HSC
I'm pretty sure you should've used a data logger in the Experiment of CO2's effect on water?

HSC
Here are my results:

1. B
2. C
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. B
9. C
10. D
11. A
12. B
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. D
18. A
19. A
20. A (Definitely sure on this one)

trang8

HSC
These are my MC answers:

1. B
2. C
3. B
4. A
5. B
6. A
7. B
8. B
9. C
10. D
11. D
12. B
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. D
18. A
19. A
20. C

Let me know if any are wrong.
1D
4D
6D
10C
11A
13D
15 B or C i got C though :(
other that i have the same as you

Dylanamali

HSC
Here are my results:

1. B
2. C
3. B
4. C
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. B
9. C
10. D
11. A
12. B
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. D
18. A
19. A
20. A (Definitely sure on this one)
same as you except cytotoxic for 8
and my 20 I put C.
Can you justify your answer.. Looking at my textbook (Biology in Focus) this is what it said:

"Gould and Eldridge also use fossil evidence to support their theory. Many fossilised remains show millions of years going by without any noticeable evolutionary change to most species. For example, soft-bodied organisms dominated the seas for hundreds of millions of years and then, in a period of a few million years (SHORT BURST), they disappeared and were replaced by organisms with shells and skeletons........ Because the fossil record is INCOMPLETE, it is difficult to come to an agreement on the rate of evolutionary change."

From Biology in focus, it tends to lean towards C rather than A.

damo_g

HSC
same as you except cytotoxic for 8
and my 20 I put C.
Can you justify your answer.. Looking at my textbook (Biology in Focus) this is what it said:

"Gould and Eldridge also use fossil evidence to support their theory. Many fossilised remains show millions of years going by without any noticeable evolutionary change to most species. For example, soft-bodied organisms dominated the seas for hundreds of millions of years and then, in a period of a few million years (SHORT BURST), they disappeared and were replaced by organisms with shells and skeletons........ Because the fossil record is INCOMPLETE, it is difficult to come to an agreement on the rate of evolutionary change."

From Biology in focus, it tends to lean towards C rather than A.
I put C as well and was unsure about it when people started saying A. But now i really can't see how "the fossil record is incomplete" supports the theory of punctuated equilibrium.

trang8

HSC
i walked out thinking it was easy. But then looking at everyone's multiple choice i lost confidence.
Probably raw mark 80-85. My bio teacher said it was the hardest paper he'd seen so far.
Not much on content but solely on thinking and analytical skills, which made feel a bit better.
Hopefully i'll get a band 6, depends on how everyone else went

kat3

HSC
N/A

Random question...so there was a question in section B about a fungi undergoing radiation and being used as an antibiotic to fight some sort of bacterial infection. The queation asked about discussing how an understanding of biology impacted society? Something along those lines...can anyone remember how they answered/ are supposed to answer it??... :)

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
Killer T are the same as cytoxic T. I'm pretty sure the answer was B cells, macrophages etc.

Proteins are bound to lipids. That's one that I know I got wrong. It's one of those OH DAMN I KNEW THAT ones!
I highly doubt that. They're considering 2 answers for an mc question and i think it will be that one and they'll take killer or cytotoxic t cells

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Random question...so there was a question in section B about a fungi undergoing radiation and being used as an antibiotic to fight some sort of bacterial infection. The queation asked about discussing how an understanding of biology impacted society? Something along those lines...can anyone remember how they answered/ are supposed to answer it??... :)
Look here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=269604&page=18

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah typo on my part I meant it to be C.
While punctuated equilibrium is about rapid change, it was developed due to the lack of fossil record.
See: http://www.living-fossils.com/2_1.php
The history of most fossil species includes two features particularly inconsistent with gradualism: 1. Stasis. Most species exhibit no directional change during their tenure on earth. They appear in the fossil record looking much the same as when they disappear; morphological change is usually limited and directionless. 2. Sudden appearance. In any local area, a species does not arise gradually by the steady transformation of its ancestors; it appears all at once and 'fully formed.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/VIIA1bPunctuated.shtml
No preservation: No fossils representing transitional forms are preserved because of their relatively small population size, the rapid pace of change, and their isolated location.
C is most correct. the fossil record being incomplete wouldn't support the theory as much as leave the theory open to develop.

Lord Ferrum

HSC

Question 8, the board will accept both Killer and Cytotoxic. I emailed them, and you can too if you don't believe me.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to be rather pissed if they award these extra marks and this raises the cut-off for the bands.
Seriously people if you haven't come across the word Cytotoxic T-cell, you're doing it wrong...
Also, there are no such thing as 'Killer T-Cells', sure, there are NATURAL KILLER T-CELLS, but they can't possibly award that.
I just asked my bio teacher from last year and I asked "What's the difference between cytotoxic T cells and killer T cells?" and she said "They're the same." Then I showed her the question and she said "I guess everyone gets a free mark."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)