indigenous congress meets pm!!! (1 Viewer)

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
ABORIGINAL leaders have told Prime Minister Julia Gillard it is time to play catch-up after six years without an indigenous representative body. The co-chairs of the National Congress of Australia's First Peoples met Ms Gillard for the first time today in Canberra.
Co-chair Les Malezer said it was about laying the groundwork for an ongoing relationship with the federal government.
The congress had its first meeting in July, six years after the Howard government axed the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC).
The independent body has a different structure to its predecessor, with 300 individual members and links to 130 indigenous organisations, representing between 30,000 to 40,000 people.
The Gillard government will negotiate a formal agreement with the congress next year.
Congress co-chair Jody Broun said indigenous people had felt left out of the decision-making process for six years.
"We want to put that front and centre so communities are involved in decision," she said.
"(The time gap) has been damaging to the trust that had built up."
Mr Malezer warned that rebuilding trust with indigenous people would take time.
The six years without a formal indigenous representative group had led to bad laws and policy.
"I think it has been damaging," he said.
Both leaders were pleased Ms Gillard had thrown her support behind a referendum on constitutional recognition for indigenous Australians.
An indigenous expert panel is due to report in January after year-long consultations on the issue.
"All Australians have to see why this is important not just for Aboriginal people but Australia as a whole," Ms Broun said.
The government's continuation of Northern Territory intervention policies was not discussed during the meeting, but future talks were flagged.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
they can be in some cases, it's an empirical question really

attempts to demonstrate bias usually reveal that the tests aren't biased though

piaget's conservation tests have been used on abos and they don't appear to be biased tests

Last edited:

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
yeah i had to go to internet explorer to break up those statements into different lines because i cant edit posts on this shit forum a lot of the time on mozilla

though that might not clarify anything or answer your query

Last edited:

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
they can be in some cases, it's an empirical question really

attempts to demonstrate bias usually reveal that the tests aren't biased though

piaget's conservation tests have been used on abos and they don't appear to be biased tests
biased no, but factors can play

some children can't conserve in all cases and situations

children development is not set by age in stone

also lack in experience

I had to fing study this dude at uni not an expert obviously, but point is, tests and theories are not infallible

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
yeah i had to go to internet explorer to break up those statements into different lines because i cant edit posts on this shit forum a lot of the time on mozilla

though that might not clarify anything or answer your query

yea thanx it was just poorly worded was all

HSC
because the IQ test isn't culturally biased or anything
lol. That claim is a ridiculous one. Here is one anecdotal evidence. I did a norweigian Iq test and got half way through it fine before getting bored. Wasn't hard because it was just pattern manipulation. Also, if IQ tests are culturally biased, why do japs score higher than yanks?

By not hard i mean that the fact it was in Norwegian was irrelevant. Yes, some questions can be culturally biased, but the ravens IQ test is simply pattern manipulation. It's nothing to do with culture/ language.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
i have no fucking clue regarding the literature (or lack thereof) about abos ive seen a few studies thats it im not even certain that average iq number usually thrown around for them is accurate or what it actually refers to (all abos or just full blooded abos living out in whoopwhoop)

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
fUCK THIS SHITTY FORUM I BREAK UP MY STATEMENTS INTO RUN ON SENTENCES AND IT JUST JAMS THEM ALL TOGETHER IN ONE LONG CONTIGUOUS LINE

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
its not a ridiculous claim allegations of test bias should be taken seriously

test bias implies instrument error and thats the running, empirically permeable and investigatable definition of it in the first place

some iq tests can actually be biased in certain samples and populations particularly when their first language is not actually english and the test involves english

accusations of instrument bias cross over into the realm of absurdity and ideologically motivated libel when opponents of general intelligence testing bang on endlessly about it despite there being no good reason to conclude that it exists (such as the tests unfairly and inaccurately predicting performance on criterion variables for compared groups, item difficulty in line item analyses being revealed to be dissimilar for compared groups, investigations into allegations of motivational deficits for supposedly disadvantaged groups revealing said allegations to be legitimate, etc.) however, though clearly scuba_steve isnt doing this in this case.

Last edited:
HSC
its not a ridiculous claim allegations of test bias should be taken seriously

test bias implies instrument error and thats the running, empirically permeable and investigatable definition of it in the first place

some iq tests can actually be biased in certain samples and populations particularly when their first language is not actually english and the test involves english

accusations of instrument bias cross over into the realm of absurdity and ideologically motivated libel when opponents of general intelligence testing bang on endlessly about it despite there being no good reason to conclude that it exists (such as the tests unfairly and inaccurately predicting performance on criterion variables for compared groups, item difficulty in line item analyses being revealed to be dissimilar for compared groups, investigations into allegations of motivational deficits for supposedly disadvantaged groups revealing said allegations to be legitimate, etc.) however, though clearly scuba_steve isnt doing this in this case.
I admitted that some questions can be culturally biased in my first post; the ravens IQ test isn't in that category.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
IQ actually reflects brain anatomy

doi: 10.1146/annurev.neuro.28.061604.135655
loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/PDF/TT_ARN05.pdf

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
lol old news the relationship between physiological brain structure and IQ has been known for ages now what the fuck was this topic even originally about

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
the fact that there is no abo embassy in canberra is appropiate given that australian embassies are designed in the particular architectual styles of the countries they are supposed to represent and abos had no buildings at all

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
no i just wanna camp out and light ever-lasting fires in front of parliament, shit would be so cash

Garygaz

HSC
my dad went to WA to try and get about 200m in funds for management from an aboriginal trust last year. the gatekeeper of the trust (some elder) said he would give him the money to manage if he could get him and his family a box to the AFL final.

lulz aboriginals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)