Starting chemistry next year! what should i pre-study? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm not very terribly good at chemistry, just wondering what i would need to know before i enter class this year. Would i need to know how to balance equations, to what extent? Or chemical names?

Whatever guide will help.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't bother, you have enough time to learn stuff when school starts. Enjoy your holidays.

Peeik

HSC
TO be honest, you can know very little heading into year 11 chem and be fine. I dont know if its the teacher but i knew very little chemistry and did fine in the course. It might help whipping a textbook and read through some bits a week b4 school starts to give you some background knowledge.

In terms of balancing equations, you should already know how to do them from year 9-10. But if you forgot how to, then i think you revisit that in year 11. But what amazes me is that you said your not terribly good at chemistry :S Why did you pick something that your not good at :S??

nightweaver066

HSC
I'm not very terribly good at chemistry, just wondering what i would need to know before i enter class this year. Would i need to know how to balance equations, to what extent? Or chemical names?

Whatever guide will help.
I guess it would be good if you knew how to write equations and balance them including states (liquid, aqueous or solid).

Your knowledge of chemical names and symbols will grow over the time you do chemistry so there shouldn't be a need to learn them all beforehand.

Here's the list of assumed knowledge in the syllabus for preliminary chemistry.

i5gLJ0gktWSeZ.png

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Helpful to know how to write and balance equations, and know common ions like OH- etc.

Also if you want to start a little on yr 11 look at the periodic trends and different types of bonding.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
You'll revisit everything, especially balancing equations and names, at the beginning of year 11 so just enjoy your holidays while they last.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 10 Chemistry (the basics) is WAY EASY, in my opinion, compared to the other sciences that you do in Year 10 so no need to pre-study the basics to be honest (like everyone said, they re-visit that kind of stuff in Year 11 anyways). And this is coming from a person who won't be doing be doing Chemistry next year most likely.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Like people said don't bother since the Chemistry in year 10 was pretty basic and simple I just did it as well going into year 11 this year if you start studying now you might end up burning yourself out.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Don't bother with year 10 chemistry. Enjoy your holidays :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just walk in willing to learn.
Dats it.
I was average in year 10 science (came like 30th or something) and in prelim I came 6th/20 just by paying attention most of the time and stuff.

eDmAn1010

HSC
My big suggestion is to get a hold of the syllabus and go through it. Also, see if you can get a hold of a SC science textbook and just go over things.

You could do what the others are saying, but I pretty much stick to the assumed knowledge and breeze over the junior science chemistry. Prelim Chem is kinda content driven and teachers need to save time in order to comfortably fit in all the content required.

Fig Newton

HSC
N/A
The more you study, the better you will be. Just see it thru....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)