why do so many asians do so good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
why do so many asians do good when they are lazy as shit, and we have white kids* like me studying our butts off and can't do nearly as well. Is there some scientific evidence, or is it just another "deal with it" thing "you're dumb".

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Early childhood development for some + cultural differences.

Also, getting high marks does not necessarily constitute as smart.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
why do so many asians do good when they are lazy as shit, and we have white kids* like me studying our butts off and can't do nearly as well. Is there some scientific evidence, or is it just another "deal with it" thing "you're dumb".
Haha. I'm not too sure about that. Some of the most naturally talented/brilliant people i've seen were white (ofc they also did some work). And i also know heaps of asians who study they're butts of yet it doesn't show in their results.

Point: No real point in generalising.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Maybe because some Asians spend 20 hours of their life at tutoring.

Or, some people just appear to be really lazy, but at home they're working their butt off. You never know.

HSC
Early childhood development for some + cultural differences.

Also, getting high marks does not necessarily constitute as smart.
I heard Asians are horrible in the workforce and lack the skills because they are so prone to the Laid-back, and easy going nature when it comes to a locked down study approach. But when you say "constitute as smart" yes it does by getting high marks, but it does not constitute for skills.

skills, smartness - completely defacto

Peeik

HSC
It's because asians parents stress the importance of academia at a very early age which allows the kid to develop cognitively. A direct consequence (but may not neccessary be the case for all asians) is that asian students study effectively and productively because they've been doing for a number of years. That is why non-asian students might go "eff this shit, i aint studying anymore" after 30 mins of studying. That sounded a bit racist but i can promise you i quoted that off my friend back in year 11 (LOL). Anywho, its not so much ASIANS are smart, it's just they develop effective studying skills at an early age. PLEASE DONT TAKE ANYTHING THAT I JUST SAID AS OFFENSIVE....i know how sensitive some people can be :(

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I heard Asians are horrible in the workforce and lack the skills because they are so prone to the Laid-back, and easy going nature when it comes to a locked down study approach. But when you say "constitute as smart" yes it does by getting high marks, but it does not constitute for skills.

High marks do not determine smartness...

Someone can get high because of an easy test/assessment.

Also I am not asian, I do okay at school. I got second in general maths. Here's proof that all people whatever race can be smart.

hayabusaboston

HSC

"The Bell Curve" by Hernstein and Murray reinforces the topic of this thread. The book, through many decades of research, has arrived at the scientific conclusion that in America, ASIANS have the highest average IQ (Including middle east), followed by whites, followed by blacks. That's in the book. Scientific fact. Asian's are simply smarter ON AVERAGE, obviously not all of them.

hayabusaboston

HSC
High marks do not determine smartness...

Someone can get high because of an easy test/assessment.

Also I am not asian, I do okay at school. I got second in general maths. Here's proof that all people whatever race can be smart.

OMG is that prue bindon, double state ranker in 1995 HSC??

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
The smarter asians are definitely not lazy and the smarter lazy asians probably go tutoring.
Also, most Asians usually put in maximum effort when it comes to academics which will result in higher chances of better marks.
Also, you don't need to be insanely smart and you don't need to study 24/7 to get good results, examination technique is a huge factor.
Plus, we basically hear this or some form of this everyday 'If you don't get an ATAR above (INSERT ATAR), you're gonna be poor and live your life as a garbage man.'
Basically, the pressure is huge! (Not to mention, Asians are always being compared to their siblings, cousins and family friends who get really high ATARS)
Most Asian parents think that if you don't become a doctor, dentist or lawyer, etc. then you're screwed for life.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Asian culture which emphasises good academic results as a path to success.

I found that I didn't have to try to score very well in tests when I was in primary and early secondary school, but I will also put that to natural ability. For example, I know girls in arts who don't put much effort in their artworks and they'll completely smash my Arts marks because I'm not artistic.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Is it? She's from my old school. She's like a role model for lots of kids.
1995 was basically when you were born haha. How'd anyone even remember?

I don't think it would be her either way. If you think of it logically she'd be ~30 by the time that'd been filmed. She wouldn't have time/care about high school maths.

deswa1

HSC
I came first at a selective school and I'm white. The main thing is that (trying to avoid stereotyping) most asians have a totally different perspective to people of European background. Say on the weekend when I might go to the beach, some of my asian friends will ask how I can do that without feeling guilty about all that avoided study. All those extra hours add up...

enoilgam

HSC
Cultural differences. Academic success is more highly valued in Asian cultures than Westernised culture. Whilst Westerners still believe that education is important, they put more emphasis on being well rounded (sport, social life etc). Also, a lot of Asians who do well come from families where the parents immigrated here from China where they were poor, which is why they put pressure on their kids to get good jobs.

utopianradical

Sheep mind
HSC
Uni Grad
I came first at a selective school and I'm white. The main thing is that (trying to avoid stereotyping) most asians have a totally different perspective to people of European background. Say on the weekend when I might go to the beach, some of my asian friends will ask how I can do that without feeling guilty about all that avoided study. All those extra hours add up...
May be u have an Asian ancestor... Some white people have asian ancestry, but aren't aware of it.

No one seems to have mentioned the importance of family support on Asian students... (How are you supposed to study if ur parents lash out on each other, and then they kill your sanity by lashing out on you?)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
May be u have an Asian ancestor... Some white people have asian ancestry, but aren't aware of it.

No one seems to have mentioned the importance of family support on Asian students... (How are you supposed to study if ur parents lash out on each other, and then they kill your sanity by lashing out on you?)
The family support is often negative too. The students with parents who may have themselves performed at the highest echelons during their education may expect their kid to get a >99.5 ATAR when their kid might "only" be able to get ~98-ish. The pressure is relentless since the parents expect continuous improvement. In that way, a non-Asian student who has the conscience to study won't have all that pressure bearing down on them and can achieve a better result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)