How to summarize physics? (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I've just recently began on physics study for yr 12.
I want start with summarizing and using the syllabus as a guideline.

My tutor recently sent me notes covering the entire space topic which cover the entire space syllabus.

Now I believe doing my own notes will be better but I want to know way you guys recommend:
1. Not using my tutors notes and making my own notes following the syllabus
2. Copy his notes but be sure I understand it carefully
3. Using both his notes and my book to do summaries.
4. Anything else?

PS: His notes are summary of my book ( i noticed the same wording in his notes and my book) following the syllabus, I use the jacaranda hsc science physics book for year 12.

Aluminesis

HSC
Writing notes is really important in studying in year 12. I wrote my own notes, starting from scratch. Do not simply copy notes from a book or your tutor. Rather, work through one dot point at a time. Make sure that you understand it. Look at a variety of sources. If your tutor's notes for that dot point are easy to understand and effective, use them to write your notes for that dot point. That may involve copying what he wrote or rephrasing it, or combining with info from another source. If you don't understand one dot point, do not copy information without understanding it. Really wrap your mind around the idea and then write notes for it. Sometimes a nitpicky dot point can take you hours to work out properly.

My school gave us Jacaranda too. The thing is, I didn't actually use it that much. It was my last resort for information, because it doesn't sort its content by dot point and often gives a bit too much information. Still, it's not bad. I recommend the Excel physics book because it's concise, relevant and easy to understand. I used a combination of Excel, hsconline, Andrew Harvey's notes, and notes from Romesh Abeysuriya. You can find the latter two online. Some people also like to purchase notes off past HSC students. It's up to you, really. I wrote my own notes and it got me through my exams with fairly good marks. Each person studies different but I can't stress enough that you must make sure you understand everything that you summarise.

Last edited:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Writing notes is really important in studying in year 12. I wrote my own notes, starting from scratch. Do not simply copy notes from a book or your tutor. Rather, work through one dot point at a time. Make sure that you understand it. Look at a variety of sources. If your tutor's notes for that dot point at easy to understand and effective, use them to write your notes for that dot point. That may involve copying what he wrote or rephrasing it, or combining with info from another source. If you don't understand one dot point, do not copy information without understanding it. Really wrap your mind around the idea and then write notes for it. Sometimes a nitpicky dot point can take you hours to work out properly.

My school gave us Jacaranda too. The thing is, I didn't actually use it that much. It was my last resort for information, because it doesn't sort its content by dot point and often gives a bit too much information. Still, it's not bad. I recommend the Excel physics book because it's concise, relevant and easy to understand. I used a combination of Excel, hsconline, Andrew Harvey's notes, and notes from Romesh Abeysuriya. You can find the latter two online. Some people also like to purchase notes off past HSC students. It's up to you, really. I wrote my own notes and it got me through my exams with fairly good marks. Each person studies different but I can't stress enough that you must make sure you understand everything that you summarise.
+1. Get a whole heap of resources (but not a ridiculous amount) and use a combination (whether in their words, your own words, or a combination fo words) of resources to answer a dot point from which ever resources you believed answered the dot point most correctly, more precisely, and more concisely.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you cannot write it in your own words then I believe you may not understand what the concept of the dot point is.

As the above posts have stated use "multiple sources" that are reliable. :)

Roy216

HSC
i spoke with my tutor and he said wen it comes to physics the only thing that multiple sources will help with are the historical moments of physics, is that wat ur talking bout?

jnney

lemon
HSC
i would just use the notes he has given you (if they are good), and refer to other notes just to see if there's anything else you'd like to add. alternatively if you really want you can make your own notes, i suppose we all prefer something different. i dont anymore, because i found it wastes a lot of time. understanding > notes.

IamBread

HSC
It really helps if you can understand the content, rather then just remember it. Try to be able to summarise everything in your own words, not copying someone else's. If you can do this, you are on the right track.

Roy216

HSC
there is something my tutor told me and that is being able to answer a comprehensive question very formal in an exam as it shows you have a clear understanding of the topic, usually if i dont understand something i will keep reading and looking for the answers till i clearly understand it

Roy216

HSC
so im guessing your an easy absorber then if you dont use notes?

IamBread

HSC
so im guessing your an easy absorber then if you dont use notes?
You should always use notes, copy down what your teacher/tutor says. But your goal should be to be able to write your own conclusions on things, rather then other peoples. Use all the information you can get to try and get you to understand it though. But once you summerise it yourself and understand it, it'll be a lot easier to remember the content, and even beyond the content.

Roy216

HSC
I see where your coming off at, first understand then summarize. Thanks. Ill be sure to keep a pen and paper handy with my teacher and tutor too

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
i spoke with my tutor and he said wen it comes to physics the only thing that multiple sources will help with are the historical moments of physics, is that wat ur talking bout?
there's that but also, you may find that some sources just don't answer the verb, they are too brief, don't have enough detail, or you just don't like they way they've worded it (for ordinary, everyday syllabus points)....then you find another source and use that. that is the point of multiple sources - you get the best from each.

IamBread

HSC
I see where your coming off at, first understand then summarize. Thanks. Ill be sure to keep a pen and paper handy with my teacher and tutor too
Kinda, Just try to get an understanding of the work rather then just remembering everything.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
^^ If you understand the content, you will be able to link different concepts and the progression of your 4-8 mark questions will be more logical, which is usually essential to score full marks.

Roy216

HSC
Like saying that the trajectory of a parabola(parabolic) is analyzed by regarding it as two separate and independent motions?

IamBread

HSC
Like saying that the trajectory of a parabola(parabolic) is analyzed by regarding it as two separate and independent motions?
Kinda, something better would be to understand why it is separated into 2 vectors.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It may not be right in there with the syllabus, but if you can understand why you will do a lot better.
Yes that is not needed though. In the syllabus BOS has created accepting it will be sufficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)