Best Commerce Major for Commerce/Advance Maths (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Thinking of doing finance since I'll be doing quantitative risk for my maths major. But which major is best in terms of job prospects, lifestyle, salary etc etc?

Thanks in advance

Bobbo1

HSC
How do I know which one I enjoy the most?, I have set up my timetable according to the study plans for finance and don't think I can do any actuarial subjects in the first year...

Bobbo1

HSC
Finance or Actuarial
Was thinking actuarial but apparently only a few people make it as actual actuaries, with the rest going into accounting/finance. So wouldn't it be better to just ace the hell of an easy finance degree and get Ds or HDs than struggle with actuarial and get lower grades?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How do I know which one I enjoy the most?, I have set up my timetable according to the study plans for finance and don't think I can do any actuarial subjects in the first year...
ACTL1001 is a first year subject...?

You figure out which one you enjoy the most by going through the majors and eliminating them one by one until you find the one that you like the most.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Was thinking actuarial but apparently only a few people make it as actual actuaries, with the rest going into accounting/finance. So wouldn't it be better to just ace the hell of an easy finance degree and get Ds or HDs than struggle with actuarial and get lower grades?
If you can't hack actuarial studies you're not going to make it as a quant.

Bobbo1

HSC
Is it possible to get a decent job with an actuarial major? Thinking if I do actuarial and then maths again it's going to limit my options..

Bobbo1

HSC
How about being... an Actuary?
Wow didn't think of that one, jks...Thought the general consensus was that they have really crap and narrow job opportunities with a real over supply of fresh graduates

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
To some people, there is. If you're at the top of your field, then you'll get a job.

But seriously, Actuarial is a very specific major. If you get a degree in Midwifery - what jobs are open to you? Midwifery, pretty much.

If you want range, then you get non-specific majors like Finance or something.

mash121

HSC
But seriously, Actuarial is a very specific major.
dont listen to this fool he doesnt know what he is talking about. if u do a major in actuarial u can work as an actuary but also in quant finance because alot of the skills overlap and if u present ourself right u could probably also work in some statistician jobs, i would only recommend u do actuarial studies as a major if u want to be an actuary, yes it is hard but if u are dedicated and get good marks u can get a job and do it. otherwise if u know u dont want to become an actuary then do a major in finance and quantitative risk because its easier path to what ever finance job ur wanting.

Bobbo1

HSC
dont listen to this fool he doesnt know what he is talking about. if u do a major in actuarial u can work as an actuary but also in quant finance because alot of the skills overlap and if u present ourself right u could probably also work in some statistician jobs, i would only recommend u do actuarial studies as a major if u want to be an actuary, yes it is hard but if u are dedicated and get good marks u can get a job and do it. otherwise if u know u dont want to become an actuary then do a major in finance and quantitative risk because its easier path to what ever finance job ur wanting.
Hhmm ok...

Herbert Braun

Banned
HSC
dont do quant risk you berk

it's a major UNSW thought up when deciding how to get as many failed med/law students from Jruse by making a degree major which teaches you nothing but looks epic (and promise of private jets and models when you're in IB lol). Look at it...it's a mish mash of actuarial, finance and maths subjects

Do pure or applied maths

Bobbo1

HSC
dont do quant risk you berk

it's a major UNSW thought up when deciding how to get as many failed med/law students from Jruse by making a degree major which teaches you nothing but looks epic (and promise of private jets and models when you're in IB lol). Look at it...it's a mish mash of actuarial, finance and maths subjects

Do pure or applied maths
I know it's nothing new but I wouldn't mind doing some actuarial subjects considering I don't want to major in actuarial for the commerce part...

K

khorne

I know it's nothing new but I wouldn't mind doing some actuarial subjects considering I don't want to major in actuarial for the commerce part...
Unless you want to learn specific modelling, you'er better off doing harder (pure or applied) maths majors and then picking up a book on specific models

Bobbo1

HSC
Unless you want to learn specific modelling, you'er better off doing harder (pure or applied) maths majors and then picking up a book on specific models
Hmm, modeling sounds interesting, what about majoring in stats?

K

khorne

Hmm, modeling sounds interesting, what about majoring in stats?
stats is useless, shitty major tbh

just saying, but hard science is where its at. Who are the highest paid mathematicians on wall st? The ones with PhDs in theoretical physics and pure maths working as quants or hedgies. If you can learn and master hard science everything seems easy after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)