• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (2 Viewers)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
as long as my boys smith and bowen get a leg up i don't care whether carbon rod or juliar gizzard is president

i don't know why the libs are pushing this issue though considering kevin rudd is super effective against tony abbots

Lentern

HSC
Bowen is my electorate's MP

does that mean we get lots of good stuff
To my knowlege Mcmahon is marginal so maybe but general rule is much the opposite, an MP who becomes a senior minister basically ceases to do any local MP work at all as it becomes all about national image. I tell you what though, if Rudd comes they'll throw half the budget at Kennedy.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Of course your mate Bolt probably thinks Tony Burke's going be the next PM.
Bolt reckons Simon Crean will be. Tony Burke is an idiot.

I disagree with Bolt with regards to Crean. Crean is a has been.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I was watching tv for a few seconds an a Channel 7 news report basically said "Kevin Rudd upstaging Julia Gillard again at *xyz*"

she wasn't even there and it had nothing to do with anything except that he was there and he was being nice

Lentern

HSC
I was watching tv for a few seconds an a Channel 7 news report basically said "Kevin Rudd upstaging Julia Gillard again at *xyz*"

she wasn't even there and it had nothing to do with anything except that he was there and he was being nice
Yeeeees but lets not kid ourselves as to Rudd's awareness of how these smiley visits to QLD marginal seats are going to play out.

Edit: I forgot to mention Howes is losing popularity in the AWU too, a return of Rudd would probably be followed by an attempt to move a no confidence motion against Howes, or possibly Howes would resign straight out. It should be appreciated that a return of Rudd would signal a shift in the power structures of the Australian Labor Party not seen since Whitlam. The faction heads (except Carr) have all lined up firmly behind Gillard, ergo the people who granted MP's permission to contest the elections as representatives of the Australian Labor Party would be ignored by the MP's that put them there. The ALP national and state executives would therefore face a choice, either they start deselecting sitting mp's, or renegotiate the terms of their agreement with the Parliamentary caucus in a way which grants those incumbent members of the parliamentary caucus far greater influence in the pre-selection process than they had previously had. To give an example of the kind of authority these figures had previously, after Mark Arbib persuaded the NSW right to vote against Rudd at the previous leadership ballot and Julia Irwin came out with her defiant little speech in defense of Rudd, if she hadn't then retired immediately afterwards she would have been de-selected. Likewise after Simon Crean voted for Mark Latham instead of Kim Beazley as his Victorian Right faction had instructed him to do in 2003, Martin Pakula was endorsed by the faction to contest the seat, it was only overwhelming support from his local community that saved him as a record number of members turned out to vote in the pre-selection ballot.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Simon crean joined an australian libertarian group on facebook

wot

Lentern

HSC
It's one
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/battl...eadership-stoush/story-e6frea6u-1226274666028

JULIA Gillard is facing a revolt by MPs in marginal seats who last night called for her to resign as Prime Minister.

For the first time, those worried about a voter backlash - including Victoria's Darren Cheeseman - went public with a demand that she quit to save the party.

"There's no doubt about it - Julia Gillard can't take the party forward," Mr Cheeseman, who holds the seat of Corangamite, told the Sunday Mail.

"The community has made its mind up on her. Certainly it would be in the interests of the party for Julia to stand down and allow this Government to select a strong candidate."

The extraordinary call was backed by some of the Prime Minister's ministers, with one saying: "For the good of the party, for the good of the Government, she should stand down. They are seeking to provoke a confrontation. It's clearly unsustainable."

captainplanet17

HSC
N/A
Looks like its gone nuclear faster than I expected.

tbh I don't care if they swear as long as they get the job done. (not implying anything) The clip is heavily edited for all we know this could have taken place over a few days.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The Oz doing the numbers: (Strange how some are listed as supporting both)

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
There appears to be 52 names in your list of 46. And 43 in your list of 36.
I didn't count them Malcolm Farnsworth wrote it on twitter.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Darren Cheeseman calling for Gillard's resignation

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/battl...eadership-stoush/story-e6frea6u-1226274666028

JULIA Gillard is facing a revolt by MPs in marginal seats who last night called for her to resign as Prime Minister.

For the first time, those worried about a voter backlash - including Victoria's Darren Cheeseman - went public with a demand that she quit to save the party.

"There's no doubt about it - Julia Gillard can't take the party forward," Mr Cheeseman, who holds the seat of Corangamite, told the Sunday Mail.

"The community has made its mind up on her. Certainly it would be in the interests of the party for Julia to stand down and allow this Government to select a strong candidate."

The extraordinary call was backed by some of the Prime Minister's ministers, with one saying: "For the good of the party, for the good of the Government, she should stand down. They are seeking to provoke a confrontation. It's clearly unsustainable."

Lentern

HSC
tbh I don't care if they swear as long as they get the job done. (not implying anything) The clip is heavily edited for all we know this could have taken place over a few days.
What is damaging isn't that Rudd was swearing, but that his unpopularity among some of his colleagues is such that they are prepared to leak private video footage of him, and that that is hardly conducive to functional government. It makes Gillard look bad too mind, Smith and Crean benefit from it. Also I call bullshit on Albanese supporting Gillard.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As for the Rudd video, it doesnt harm him one bit. It does in fact work in his favour.

I wouldn't put it past Team Gillard to make such a stupid move. All it does is show that Rudd's support in caucus is real and they are running scared.

Lentern

HSC
As for the Rudd video, it doesnt harm him one bit. It does in fact work in his favour.

I wouldn't put it past Team Gillard to make such a stupid move.
In a world where Mark Latham rules supreme maybe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)