• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australian Politics (3 Viewers)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't think Darren Cheeseman is on Gillards side as listed in that Australian article...

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
As for the Rudd video, it doesnt harm him one bit. It does in fact work in his favour.

I wouldn't put it past Team Gillard to make such a stupid move. All it does is show that Rudd's support in caucus is real and they are running scared.
Yes agreed. It makes him look very human and Gillard very childish.

A lot of the comments I've been reading on news sites (even taken with a giant lump of salt) have been positive.

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently the leak had to have come from Gillard's office since nobody else is supposed to have access to those recordings. Not too sure how true that is though.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Anyone else remember when Rudd went to a strip club in the States and he was meant to be an immoral clown?

yeah you know how everyone loved him for it

same deal

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
So the leadership challenge actually looks legit for once

Is it happening?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Probably.

Some reports indicate within the next week while others say after the QLD state elections.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Trying to think of a leader who has ended up surviving such constant leadership speculation, destablisation and loss of internal support. I can't think of any.

She's gone.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently Rudd staffers didnt get a chance to wipe their computers on the day of the coup before Gillard's staff took over the PMO. The video was left on a PMO computer.

Lentern

HSC
Trying to think of a leader who has ended up surviving such constant leadership speculation, destablisation and loss of internal support. I can't think of any.

She's gone.
There hasn't been one, Boffles probably come closest but he was leading in the polls all the way. It's always been the case that once someone throws down the gauntlet, the leadership quagmire stops the government getting any other messages out there and politically paralyses them until finally that leader is cut down. That's why I'm kind of doubtful Abbott makes the next election, even though I think he currently commands a comfortable majority of the joint partyroom I think Turnbull really has nothing left in public life to achieve except being Prime Minister and if the polls converge at all I imagine he'd have a go anyway. He'd lose, Turnbull has a weak following but Abbott would then have this media siege demanding the leadership issue be resolved.

I reckons a sort of Thatcher/Hestletine/Major thing might yet happen. Gillard calls a spill, Rudd contests and loses, returns to the backbench and waits. Gillard leadership further declines to the point where her closest supporters lose confidence in her, she resigns and Smith or Crean nominate for the leadership, have all her votes transferred to them plus a handful of Kevin's. If it were Smith that would of course mean foregoing running for the deputy leadership when Rudd challenged which seems to be becoming increasingly likely.

Lentern

HSC
Nice to see Simon Crean believes these things should be dealt with internally and not dragged out into a public mudslinging match.

Garygaz

HSC
what happens when gillard calls a spill and rudd claims there was never any challenge and refers back to the multiple times he claimed there wasn't (on national TV).

honestly the longer this goes on without some sort of conflict resolution, the worse it is for gillard and the better it is for rudd.

Lentern

HSC
what happens when gillard calls a spill and rudd claims there was never any challenge and refers back to the multiple times he claimed there wasn't (on national TV).

honestly the longer this goes on without some sort of conflict resolution, the worse it is for gillard and the better it is for rudd.
Depends how Rudd went about it. If he went at it himself (which has been his habit in the past) as some bizarre, catch them on the backfoot sort of chess move his backers would probably get pissed with him for making them look stupid and for keeping the government in this state of paralysis. I don't think it would save Gillard though I think they'd just move on elsewhere, and giving Crean's blustering on TV and radio lately I think it would far more likely be Smith than Crean. (Rudd's people are never gonna go Shorten). Edit: Rudd actually did do this in 2010, Albanese, Emerson, Faulkner, Mckew etc were all massively pissed at the him for letting them go face the press with stiff upper lip "we support the leader" sort of statements for Rudd to then not stand in the leadership ballot. Some people (Gerard Henderson) reckon that's why he had nearly forty votes on the day but in the aftermath had virtually none. Gerard talks a fair bit of shit though.

If Rudd did it in consultation with his supports then I imagine Gillard would get a few weeks grace before the government would just resume in this leadership quagmire, unable to get any message out as they face a media disinterested in anything else and that would only resolve itself when a leadership ballot finally occurs and Gillard is defeated and by that point I imagine Rudd's momentum would be virtually unassailable.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
To my astonishment Bill Shorten actually seems to be behaving himself pretty well through all this. Crean, Roxon, Ripoll, Gibbons, Cheeseman and Emerson however just need to shut up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)