Labor Leadership Spill 2012 (5 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Labor should reinstate KRUDD so they can get re-elected and then kick him out again.

(Someone please fill me in. Why did KRUDD actually resign as foreign minister?)
Simon Crean publicly attacked Rudd's integrity, Gillard refused to defend Rudd against the attacks either publicly or privately, Rudd therefore concluded he didn't have the confidence of the PM and that therefore his position was untenable.

delian

HSC
N/A
I think Rudd still hasn't got the numbers necessary to win leadership challenge.

Lentern

HSC
After the polls last night a group of MP's are now saying that they will support Gillard if she stands but that she should reconsider nominating in the face of such overwhelming public rejection.

Garygaz

HSC
do you think rudd would change his leadership style if elected for a second time or would the same problems arise?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I doubt the polls will impact the decision much. Gillard has been trailing in the polls badly for a year or so, it is nothing new.

Lentern

HSC
do you think rudd would change his leadership style if elected for a second time or would the same problems arise?
His strongest indication thus far is that he's going to relinquish the power to choose the frontbench but if you look at what he's said he thinks he should have done differently: sailed ahead with the ETS, refused to get into the politics of fear with refugees etc, he's indicating he should have heeded less of the advice of the factions not more. The factions of course would only get to nominate who would serve in his cabinet, not what positions they would occupy so if for example they put Wayne Swan in, Rudd could assign Swan to resources and energy and make Chris Bowen treasurer. One of Rudd's problems I think the first time was that Albanese and Faulkner were the only cabinet ministers who were really part of Rudd's inner circle. Rudd had a very small support base of his own to begin with and won the leadership considerably on the back of Gillard's supporters. Once he got in he tried to play the Beazley/Gillard camps off against each other to try and stop them muscling up on him but ultimately he had few ministers whom he greatly trusted so, as we know, he centralized more and more power in his own office, to the chagrin of nearly everyone.

If he came back he'd probably be appointing more trusted colleagues to senior positions and so he would probably be more willing to give them some leash but at the same time that would only be because he knows they're on his side. It's hard to tell but basically, yes he would have improved but not by a lot.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Albanese has declared that he is backing Rudd, which may end up swaying some votes. He will not be lobbying. Don't think it's going to be enough to get Rudd over the line though.

He actually seemed very sincere today. Very rare from the current lot to be frank.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
How on earth does Gillard have the decency to say that Abbott is like a toddler having a tantrum? Is she living in some sort of parallel universe or something?

Lentern

HSC
Albanese has declared that he is backing Rudd, which may end up swaying some votes. He will not be lobbying. Don't think it's going to be enough to get Rudd over the line though.

He actually seemed very sincere today. Very rare from the current lot to be frank.
I wonder if he's actually staying out of it or if it's part of a coordinated effort by team Rudd to seem like nice guys. Bowen, McClleland, Ferguson, Champion, Cameron...They've all taken the tune that they support Rudd but will support Gillard to the hilt if she doesn't win on Monday.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Albanese is a likeable minister and one of Labors better performers. Labor only has a few 'good ministers really (not in any order): Rudd, Gillard (not as PM though), Albanese, Wong, Combet, Pilbersek, Smith, Ferguson & Bowen. The rest are fairly hopeless.

Lentern

HSC
Albanese is a likeable minister and one of Labors better performers. Labor only has a few 'good ministers really (not in any order): Rudd, Gillard (not as PM though), Albanese, Wong, Combet, Pilbersek, Smith, Ferguson & Bowen. The rest are fairly hopeless.
Hmmm, don't agree with Combet, he's about as engaging as Swanny, and Bowen has plenty of gifts but his performance in immigration was pretty dumb, just escalate the issue instead of diffusing it. Emerson is pretty confident and articulate which is not the norm in the government , he does occasionally act like a goose though. Shorten has a lot going for him even though he royally fucked up in June 2010. Mark Dreyfus, parliamentary secretary for climate change isn't without talent either.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
RT @GhostWhoVotes: #Galaxy Poll 2 Party Preferred: ALP 46 (0) L/NP 54 (0) #respill #auspol
RT @GhostWhoVotes: #Galaxy Poll 2 Party Preferred if Rudd leader: ALP 49 L/NP 51 #respill #auspol
RT @GhostWhoVotes: #Galaxy Poll Preferred ALP Leader: Gillard 26 (-4) Rudd 52 (0) #respill #auspol
RT @GhostWhoVotes: #Galaxy Poll Preferred ALP Leader (ALP Voters): Gillard 39
(-10) Rudd 53 (+5) #respill #auspol

The caucus has to look at this and realise that Rudd is the only chance the ALP has of challenging Abbott
i am going to have to put a $20 on Rudd (@ like $6.50?)

Lentern

HSC
Going on who has declared their support for him, who has remained silent but is linked to him and my belief that there are probably a few rats who will privately but not publicly support Rudd, I reckon he will have 35-39 votes, and yes that is too many, effectively is a no confidence in Gillard's leadership.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This contest is just begging for a third candidate.

They know Gillard is electoral poison but can't bare to go back to Rudd.

Lentern

HSC
This contest is just begging for a third candidate.

They know Gillard is electoral poison but can't bare to go back to Rudd.
Oh please. With the possible exception of Smith and his extraordinary political abilities a third candidate would be fatal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)