worst/best english novel you have ever read in school? (1 Viewer)

carpe_diem

HSC
Best: Looking for Alibrandi
Worst: Justice Game
Yes :)
But another one of my bests would be: The Colour of Water, and I'm starting to like Frankenstein
Worsts: Lockie Leonard, Flushed (or something stupid like that) and 1984 (but this is was bad because I found it boring)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Best: Looking for Alibrandi
Worst: Justice Game
actually, this was terrible as well... we watched the movie in class, our whole class was just laughing the whole time because it was so stupid

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes :)
But another one of my bests would be: The Colour of Water, and I'm starting to like Frankenstein
Worsts: Lockie Leonard, Flushed (or something stupid like that) and 1984 (but this is was bad because I found it boring)
Omg I'd forgotten about Flushed. My school did that too in like year 8 or something. Not cool.
1984 was fine...until like the last 60 pages then I wanted to rip the pages out.
If this wasn't just for books then hands down Gattacca would be the best English text I've done. But for books, best would have to be Frankenstein.

zombies

HSC
Worst: Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy. We were the only class that had to read it, and the other classes got to read A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Book Thief.
It was incredibly boring and the story just went nowhere...
Ehh?! I'm doing Maestro right now at school - it's not that bad! It was super easy to read (I read it in one of my free periods) and except for the dodgy bits when the dude was having a wet dream and getting it on with some girl it was prety interesting.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Best: Catch-22
Worst: Any Shakespeare plays

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Best: Catch-22
Worst: Any Shakespeare plays
That^. School made me do a Shakespearean text EVERY YEAR. However, I appreciate the school for showing me the text 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Just enjoy reading them numerous times.

Lina3

HSC
Best: Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
Worst: Tomorrow When The World Began-John Marsden

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I hate reading books in general but Dracula will always be a good read.

SunnyScience

HSC
Worst: The catcher in the rye. Terrible.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk

Lina3

HSC
?! A friend lent that book to me and I liked it!
Well the concept is original but there are too many characters. It was a pain to analyze because, message wise, it was rather hollow. And I got my worst English essay mark to date on that darn report we had to do about it >< Thank God it was in yr 9 and did not really matter...

zombies

HSC
Well the concept is original but there are too many characters. It was a pain to analyze because, message wise, it was rather hollow. And I got my worst English essay mark to date on that darn report we had to do about it >< Thank God it was in yr 9 and did not really matter...
Yeah I guess, I didn't have to analyse it too indepth, just as a related text for an essay :D

dr cookie

HSC
best - a tie between to kill a mockingbird and the turn of the screw
worst - othello, technically it was a play but it was b-o-r-i-n-g

EPHS '09
wow we did the turn of the screw this year and i was soooo bored through it... but i do have the attention span of a flea.... oh wow a bird.

destroying avalon wasn't that bad, either was romeo and juliet (although a play)

Girls

HSC
Heart of Darkness for Ext. 1 this year is the best novel (well, novella) I've got from school.

Worst is either Feather Boy (oh God that was tragic) in year 7, or Holes in year 8.

Everything from year 9 onward has been pretty good.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Heart of Darkness for Ext. 1 this year is the best novel (well, novella) I've got from school.

Worst is either Feather Boy (oh God that was tragic) in year 7, or Holes in year 8.

Everything from year 9 onward has been pretty good.
haha holes. brings back memories of those junior years of highschool.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Worst: this book called 'Gracie' which was about some Aboriginal kid who did something... it was so bad I didn't even finish it.

The best though was from Extension 1 English in the HSC, I really, really loved the book "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles. Really opened my eyes to how even Victorian era literature could be interesting.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
best: the handmaid's tale! jslkdjsadjaslaj just finished. such an interesting concept which both criticises and delves into the notions of fundamentalisma and feminism.

worst: only the heart. i died

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Worst: this book called 'Gracie' which was about some Aboriginal kid who did something... it was so bad I didn't even finish it.

The best though was from Extension 1 English in the HSC, I really, really loved the book "The French Lieutenant's Woman" by John Fowles. Really opened my eyes to how even Victorian era literature could be interesting.
I had to read Gracie too. It was awful!

carpe_diem

HSC

Oh dear. We had to finish it. I know Romeo and Juliet is a play, but that was HORRIBLE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)