actuary UNSW (1 Viewer)

manscux

HSC
What else do you want to know? No one can talk about the degree with a great deal of knowledge because no one has done it yet.

hi thanks...

okay i would like to know when do you work in a coop. I mean do you work part time.......

and what is often the starting salary of a person who as completed a coop as opposed to a person doing a normal degree

:))

HSC
N/A
The majors that are arguably good combinations with actuarial are arguably Finance, Economics and Mathematics (Statistics), possibly Accounting too.

Those majors will be the only ones that will be offered as part of the B Actuarial Studies program.

As for you, perhaps the above combinations don't really matter because they can get you into IB or actuarial anyway.

As for me it looks like I'll be taking the unconventional combo of Actuarial, Chinese and HRM ~ risk taking to see where I'll end up working....
Not exactly.

I have checked course outlines of third year actuarial studies and it looks like it covers the same stuff as in finance. There is a third year actuarial elective that covers a ton of stuff that is contained in FINS1612 - Capital Markets , FINS2624 - Portfolio Management , FINS3636 - Interest Rate Risk Management , FINS3635 - Options, Futures & Risk Mgmt.

In one sense you are somewhat disadvantaging yourself as you don't cover a lot of content. Sure, take actuarial/finance if you want to have a relatively cruisy life in your later years where everything is just revision. You would probably learn more if you did actuarial/economics or actuarial/accounting.

BiancaC

HSC
hi thanks...

okay i would like to know when do you work in a coop. I mean do you work part time.......

and what is often the starting salary of a person who as completed a coop as opposed to a person doing a normal degree

:))
You get two to three placements in your degree. Instead of being 3 years, your degree is 4 (2 placements) or 4.5 (3 placements) years long. The placements are semester long (6 months) and occur at various points in your degree. You only work in that time (i.e. you aren't at university).

The starting salary question is like asking how long is a ball of string. It depends and there is generally no one set salary for a person who graduates or a person who is a co-op scholar (particularly in terms of finance or actuarial studies). It's just something that favours you in the application process. However saying that, it MAY result in a slightly higher salary or it may stay the same.

HSC
Uni Grad
Not exactly.

I have checked course outlines of third year actuarial studies and it looks like it covers the same stuff as in finance. There is a third year actuarial elective that covers a ton of stuff that is contained in FINS1612 - Capital Markets , FINS2624 - Portfolio Management , FINS3636 - Interest Rate Risk Management , FINS3635 - Options, Futures & Risk Mgmt.

In one sense you are somewhat disadvantaging yourself as you don't cover a lot of content. Sure, take actuarial/finance if you want to have a relatively cruisy life in your later years where everything is just revision. You would probably learn more if you did actuarial/economics or actuarial/accounting.
Are you talking about ACTL3005?

And I said arguably, not necessarily due to learning less, but the ease as well. Sure, if you want, do accounting along with actuarial, you'd learn more, but then there's quite a lot of people in actuarial who will get sick of learning and would prefer to do something like finance, just for example.

HSC
N/A
Are you talking about ACTL3005?

No, ACTL3004 Financial Economics. Basically, it looks like the first half of the course is similiar to FINS2624 and then the remainder of the course is similiar to FINS3635 and FINS3636. It probably goes into more mathematical detail than the finance courses, but it is still fundamentally the same stuff.

Also, ACTL3005 Superannuation and Retirement Benifits definately looks like a course to avoid imo. It is the only actuarial course that doesn't involve equations/problem solving. It is all essays and reading journal articles., does not sound fun at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)