Need help for choosing Uni (Actuarial / Maths / others), UNSW, USYD or Macquarie? (1 Viewer)

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone, I'm currently in Year 12 and am enjoying all mathematics courses. I am better at (and prefer) subjects with mathematics, with logic etc, but am not good at remembering lots of words.
Currently studying MX1&2, ESL, PHY, Chem, MusicII.
I want to study Acturial studies and/or Advanced mathematics in Uni, and here are some questions I currently have:

1. According to the teaching quality (and/or fame) of university, studying overseas after, working in Australia or overseas, is UNSW better for studying actuary, or Macquarie? What are the advantages of each school(e.g. better at double degree/major etc)?

2. Is Actuarial studies (single degree) itself hard to graduate(what's the percentage)? And is it easy to get jobs? Any suggested double degree/major ?

3. UNSW is establishing a new actuarial studies bachelor degree (instead of bachelor of commerce and major in actuarial studies), does it make the course better?

4. Does it worth to study honour/master/pHD in Actuarial studies (or advanced mathematics)?

5. If I don't want to work as a Uni professor / school teacher, but for companies, is studying Advanced Mathematics as rewarding as Actuarial studies, e.g. easier to find jobs, or better job/pay?

6. I saw previous USYD have higher atar enquiries than UNSW for advanced mathematics, but in 2012 a universal uni rank (shanghai something…) it is said that UNSW is in 75-100 when USYD is in 100-150, so which one is better really? Is both rewarding enough?

7. It is said that the new Bachelor of Actuarial studies can be combined with a Bachelor of science (Mathematics), does it mean I can do a double degree of Actuarial and Adv Maths? Does it worth doing it (e.g. timelength, make me more competitive at workplace)?

Thank you very much!!!!!!

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Macquarie is 1st for actuarial. UNSW will never catch up

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
So is there any details for where it's better?
I heard that if you choose double major/degree then unsw is a better pick?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi everyone, I'm currently in Year 12 and am enjoying all mathematics courses. I am better at (and prefer) subjects with mathematics, with logic etc, but am not good at remembering lots of words.
I want to study Acturial studies and/or Advanced mathematics in Uni, and here are some questions I currently have:

1. According to the teaching quality (and/or fame) of university, studying overseas after, working in Australia or overseas, is UNSW better for studying actuary, or Macquarie? What are the advantages of each school(e.g. better at double degree/major etc)?
I'm going to have to say Macquarie's Actuarial program is better, from what I've heard.

2. Is Actuarial studies (single degree) itself hard to graduate(what's the percentage)? And is it easy to get jobs? Any suggested double degree/major ?
Lots of people drop out. You have to remember you don't want the degree. The degree just gets you exceptions from the Actuarial exam which you have to complete after graduating to even become an actuary.

Apparently jobs are very low in supply but... who knows. And for suggested degrees, you do what you like.

3. UNSW is establishing a new actuarial studies bachelor degree (instead of bachelor of commerce and major in actuarial studies), does it make the course better?
No, it just means it's a new name for the old Commerce (Actuarial Studies) degree. Unless there's new things like... compulsory subjects or whatnot. Check the handbook entry.

4. Does it worth to study honour/master/pHD in Actuarial studies (or advanced mathematics)?
If you want to, then yes. It's up to you.

Personally, I'd love to do Honours. There's some really fantastic topics in maths that I'd like to get to explore and research.

5. If I don't want to work as a Uni professor / school teacher, but for companies, is studying Advanced Mathematics as rewarding as Actuarial studies, e.g. easier to find jobs, or better job/pay?
Mathematics is Mathematics. Actuarial Studies is Actuarial. They're not the same thing.

I'd wager maths makes it easier to find jobs, because the skillset is more varied. But apparently Actuaries get paid better. But really, it depends on you and what you make of your degree.

6. I saw previous USYD have higher atar enquiries than UNSW for advanced mathematics, but in 2012 a universal uni rank (shanghai something…) it is said that UNSW is in 75-100 when USYD is in 100-150, so which one is better really? Is both rewarding enough?
ATAR is demand. I think UNSW's Advanced Maths program is better - and that's why I selected it. You can find out more by asking around.

7. It is said that the new Bachelor of Actuarial studies can be combined with a Bachelor of science (Mathematics), does it mean I can do a double degree of Actuarial and Adv Maths? Does it worth doing it (e.g. timelength, make me more competitive at workplace)?
Advanced Maths/Commerce is an option, but with this new Actuarial Studies degree - I'm not sure if you can combine the two. Advanced Maths can only be studied by itself, with Arts, or with Commerce.

And is it worth doing it? Well, you have to decide that for yourself. Depends on you. You'll be at uni longer, but if you do well - it should make you more competitive. Plus, Advanced Maths is Honours at UNSW.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
wooooowwww... That was a lot of detailed reply ! Thanks for taking time to do that!! It was really appreciated.
I'd wager maths makes it easier to find jobs, because the skillset is more varied. But apparently Actuaries get paid better. But really, it depends on you and what you make of your degree.
still wondering, does actuarial studies 'harder to find job' is because it's hard to graduate? and for that kind of thing, if possible , is it a good idea to get a co-op scholarship(if possible) and gain working experience to make myself more competitive?

btw just one silly question, say i applied usyd adv maths as my first preference overall and unsw actuarial studies as my 2nd preference, after atar is out I realised I could go either one, will i get letter for both unis and can I still choose unsw?

Thanks a lot!!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
wooooowwww... That was a lot of detailed reply ! Thanks for taking time to do that!! It was really appreciated.

still wondering, does actuarial studies 'harder to find job' is because it's hard to graduate? and for that kind of thing, if possible , is it a good idea to get a co-op scholarship(if possible) and gain working experience to make myself more competitive?

btw just one silly question, say i applied usyd adv maths as my first preference overall and unsw actuarial studies as my 2nd preference, after atar is out I realised I could go either one, will i get letter for both unis and can I still choose unsw?

Thanks a lot!!
It's harder to get a job in Actuarial studies because there are too many graduates in comparison to the amount of jobs that are availiable.

And no you will only get one offer.

Also your English is really bad.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
umm I think Avd.math at USYD is good for you :D , go for it mate

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Thanks a lot!!
Co-op? If you're a good student, go for it. But if you fail - you have to pay back all the money they give you.

Also what kaz said. You put in your preferences in the order you want them in - you get only one offer per round.

HSC
Uni Grad

Thank you very much!!!!!!
1. Macquarie's actuarial program is a lot better and a lot more established compared with UNSW's actuarial program. But that being said, UNSW actuarial seems to have a higher employment rate, due to the fact that many of those actuarial graduates tend to get jobs more with a combination with their 2nd major (i.e. actuarial along with finance, economics, statistics, etc), as opposed to getting it with just actuarial. I was told UNSW's programs were more practical compared with Macquarie's (Want someone to comment on this, need to make sure).

Anyway, Pros and Cons here:

Macquarie

Pros:
- Better actuarial program
- Closer to home (if you live on the Northern areas)
- More degree options (compared with UNSW for those starting in 2013, beforehand, UNSW was the best out of all unis for degree flexibility)

Cons:
- Can't choose a 2nd major unless if you're doing double degree

UNSW

Pros:
- Actuarial program more regarded by industry
- Actuarial Society at UNSW is >>>> Actuarial Students Society at MQ (imo :p)
- At UNSW, the new program allows you to choose a 2nd major out of a designated list (it's on the 2013 handbook). The designated majors (apart from accounting) smash MQs in terms of teaching. Maths is one of the best in Australia, especially a statistics major there.

Cons:
- B Actuarial Studies has barely any flexibility (ffs)
- Actuarial studies is relatively new, and atm, the school of risk and actuarial studies is trying to restructure the courses so that students can get the best out of them. In a lot of courses, they're in the process of making actuarial more practical to the real world (i.e. ACTL1001; changed from a mathsy based course to one with a lot of writing).

Actuarial studies itself is quite hard to graduate, and the drop out rate is around 30-40% on avg, at UNSW it's higher because of the fact that it was a commerce major (not sure about the new B Actuarial Studies program now). The graduate demand for Actuarial is falling atm, especially in this country, as there's so many graduates. Now more people who tried to find work within insurance are seeking to work in finance and other industries instead. When I think about it, actuarial is so overrated, may as well do something else :/

IMO, it's actually worse when they changed it to B Actuarial Studies, as it destroys the flexibility of the program as a whole. Those who wanted to do unconventional courses, i.e. B Commerce (Actuarial studies)/B Science (Chemistry) can't do them anymore.

Depends, if you want to go onto research, then fine. But if you want a job, then not really.

I reckon doing a mathematics degree (majoring in any mathematics field) is actually better off than doing actuarial studies. At first, there is actually a shortage of maths graduates, i.e. not enough graduates to fill up the workforce. Second, a maths degree gives more quantitative skill and critical thinking, as opposed to those doing actuarial.

Rankings are based on research only. They don't account as to how good the uni's teaching is.

Yes, you can do double degree in actuarial and adv. maths. It will be 5 years, including an honours year. May not necessarily make you more competitive; that all depends on your grades + extras.

a19901213

HSC
I would say Macquarie probably has the best actuarial program

but funny things is lots of my friend doing actuarial at Macquarie actually want to transfer to the new actuarial program at UNSW commencing next year, which I couldn't understand.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Actuarial only uses the shittest and most boring parts of maths.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad

Yes, you can do double degree in actuarial and adv. maths. It will be 5 years, including an honours year. May not necessarily make you more competitive; that all depends on your grades + extras.
Thank you so much for the detailed answer!萬分感謝!

I would say Macquarie probably has the best actuarial program

but funny things is lots of my friend doing actuarial at Macquarie actually want to transfer to the new actuarial program at UNSW commencing next year, which I couldn't understand.
I hear my friend said that Macquarie (in general, not specifically) was becoming worse, with the quality of tutors and people managing etc. which makes it rank dropped a lot. Wonder if it is true or not :/
btw I just saw an ad of the New B actuarial studies in UNSW on the top of BOS, got to come to both that and open day to find out why :D

manscux

HSC
Hi YoYoWayne

mate go for what you believe your strengths are.... i am also in year 12 and would like to pursue actuarial still confused whether to do it UNSW or Macquarie.... But think of doing at UNSW since it is regarded by industry

(P.s hope to see you at open day a@ intro to actuarial lecture)

:)

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks man! Since I really like mathematics, I'm considering doing a actuarial & b science(adv maths) degree.
And yeah hope to see ya @ unsw open day, and information session on wednesday evening :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Man u should not say that, it hurt a lot of people
btw what is ur degree ?
if that hurts you I hope to hurt you more in the future

I didn't make it to uni, Accounting certificate 3 at ultimo tafe for me

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
if that hurts you I hope to hurt you more in the future

I didn't make it to uni, Accounting certificate 3 at ultimo tafe for me
umm not really, coz i'm not gonna do actuarial anyway

but it's just not good for somebody else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)