Any predictions on Communication area? (1 Viewer)

Airstrike

HSC
What do you think is going to be tested this year?
2009- eye
2010- was mostly brain and sound communication
2011 - ear and neurones

So predictions?

wavess

HSC
Maybe stuff on the cochlear implant (hearing aid) stuff, I've noticed it's a common 7 marker question.

Aysce

HSC
Maybe stuff on the cochlear implant (hearing aid) stuff, I've noticed it's a common 7 marker question.
Mate, if it is, I will be fist pumping lol

Aysce

HSC
+1 this and something with cataracts/accommodation.
I have a gut feeling they'll ask something about action potential and the areas of the brain.

HSC
N/A
I think there will defs be a question between the appropriateness of various hearing technologies i.e. when you use a cochlear implant, or a hearing aid.
Also, there'll totes be a question on the brain and the structure of it.

I think the cataract surgery questions are overused, and they may not use it this year.

I also get the feeling they'll make us draw a diagram of the ear/eye/brain

HSC
N/A
I have a gut feeling they'll ask something about action potential and the areas of the brain.
I'm so fucked if they do. If they ask for a diagram of it, i'm done. LOL.

As far as I know, it has something to do with sodium and potassium. and that's it. tymtostudy/10

Aysce

HSC
I'm so fucked if they do. If they ask for a diagram of it, i'm done. LOL.

As far as I know, it has something to do with sodium and potassium. and that's it. tymtostudy/10
Yeah when there is an action potential, depolarization occurs (charge difference across membrane is reduced) by the sodium channels opening and sodium ions diffusing into the cell, hence it'll make the inside of the cell temporarily positive. After the action potential it'll close sodium channels and open potassium channels for potassium ions to move out of the cell and for it to return to it's negative charge, hence it comes back to it's resting potential. YAY!

HSC
N/A
Yeah when there is an action potential, depolarization occurs (charge difference across membrane is reduced) by the sodium channels opening and sodium ions diffusing into the cell, hence it'll make the inside of the cell temporarily positive. After the action potential it'll close sodium channels and open potassium channels for potassium ions to move out of the cell and for it to return to it's negative charge, hence it comes back to it's resting potential. YAY!
But... if it opens it's sodium channels, it's more positive in the cell.
and if it opens it's potassium channels, and potassium flows out, doesn't the cell just become super positive?

RishBonjour

HSC
and if it opens it's potassium channels, and potassium flows out, doesn't the cell just become super positive?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKMB11ih2o

have a look at that. it should clarify it

I hope they don't ask about the brain experiment, don't know much about it.

Is the function of medulla oblongata just to control involuntary functions e.g. breathing and blood ph or whatver, anything else?

Aysce

HSC
Why would the cell become super positive if potassium flows out?

RishBonjour

HSC
potassium ions are positive, but the cell still maintains it.
it is only negative because of things in amino acids and other things in the cell.
Also, can they actually test these in the test? The dot point simply says "Identify threshold" or whatever, and we have to know the graph, but I don't think we need to know the process in detail

Aysce

HSC
potassium ions are positive, but the cell still maintains it.
it is only negative because of things in amino acids and other things in the cell.
Also, can they actually test these in the test? The dot point simply says "Identify threshold" or whatever, and we have to know the graph, but I don't think we need to know the process in detail
I recall doing a hsc question including these things. Thanks for the youtube video rish! It really clarified ZA's question =)

Alkanes

HSC
Understand the action potential shit. Don't memorise it. It's actually quite interesting once you do grasp the concept behind it.

Hopefully they don't ask an extended response on the ears. And high chance they won't cos they already asked that last year. So i'm hoping it'll be either on the eyes or brain :)

HSC
N/A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKMB11ih2o

have a look at that. it should clarify it

I hope they don't ask about the brain experiment, don't know much about it.

Is the function of medulla oblongata just to control involuntary functions e.g. breathing and blood ph or whatver, anything else?
watching now :)

thank you!
Why would the cell become super positive if potassium flows out?
I thought Potassium ions were negative for some reason, and that sodium was positive :\

RishBonjour

HSC
Understand the action potential shit. Don't memorise it. It's actually quite interesting once you do grasp the concept behind it.

Hopefully they don't ask an extended response on the ears. And high chance they won't cos they already asked that last year. So i'm hoping it'll be either on the eyes or brain :)
lol I actually hope they ask on the ear. I don't understand brain because i rushed the dot point, but the rest of the communication chapter is fairly nice.

@aysce, check out the guy's video on the ear, it is REALLY good especially the cochlea and frequency on the basillar membrane stuff, after watching it, you probably don't have to study for the ear (especially if your a visual learner)

wavess

HSC
Yeah true, at first I was like what the hell is going on, now that my teacher explained it and also with the use of youtube videos. It's simple to understand.

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: they all asked the question about the hearing aid stuff.
Lol if the hearing aid question does come into the exam this year , I'm seriously gonna laugh and remember this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)