Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Just interested, which parts [HSC Physics] are appealing to you? (Spi/Sy)
Relativity was ok, and that is the only thing I like in HSC Physics. Probably because I don't know much about Relativity in proper Physics, but I know enough of Classical Mechanics to hate on the dumbed down Space/Motors modules.

In regards to why Physics needs to be more Mathsy, Maths is the language of Physics, there is no denying it at all. Classical Mechanics was pretty much based on Calculus, to have some sort of Physics course without calculus is just horrible.

If it means to create a 3U Physics to cater to Calculus students, I would be happy to do it.

HSC
If it means to create a 3U Physics to cater to Calculus students, I would be happy to do it.
That is a good idea, and has been proposed before. But the Board isn't having it. Neither is ACARA.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Relativity was ok, and that is the only thing I like in HSC Physics. Probably because I don't know much about Relativity in proper Physics, but I know enough of Classical Mechanics to hate on the dumbed down Space/Motors modules.

In regards to why Physics needs to be more Mathsy, Maths is the language of Physics, there is no denying it at all. Classical Mechanics was pretty much based on Calculus, to have some sort of Physics course without calculus is just horrible.

Yes but still... you have to cater for everyone (people of all mathematical abilities).

Yeah, they should seriously introduce Extension versions of the Sciences. Bring back Extension Economics. etc.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
To clear things up, I'm not saying Physics should have more maths (I think the maths level is fair enough for 2U Phys) I am saying that it should develop some thinking instead of memorising responses and/or giving a response the marker wants.

Also, they can't make 3/4U subjects for everything, there needs to be 2U subjects for balance.

deswa1

HSC
About all this thinking stuff- I would say 2012 HSC required quite a lot of thinking. The two satellites question with geostationary orbit one is all thinking, the projectile was very hard by physics standards and that electricity distribution was a nice question imo

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
About all this thinking stuff- I would say 2012 HSC required quite a lot of thinking. The two satellites question with geostationary orbit one is all thinking, the projectile was very hard by physics standards and that electricity distribution was a nice question imo
The level of understanding required in Physics is still there.... compared to many subjects, Physics is like a different level when it comes to 'understanding'.

HSC
To cater to anglo students (srs)
Evidence/basis?

You guys are so mean.
This is BoS not a tea party for princes and princesses (except Aysce, Vietnamese prince the 22nd)

Agreed.

barbernator

HSC
:'( hehe

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Evidence/basis?
Absolutely none, but there is no other reason to dumb down the science courses. I was looking at one pre-2001 Physics paper, and if you had the right elective all soft science could be avoided.

Yet now its pretty bad. Why do you think they chose to change it?

Keep in mind that this new change also meant the abolishment of 4U Science, 3U for non-Maths subjects, and the introduction of 3U/4U English. Thus overall the 2001 reform was to make the HSC more english-y

And I can only think of one reason to dumb a good course down in such a way.

Fine, I accept that its not ALL soft-science, but there is still some in the Physics course
In the 2012 Exam, in section 2

15/55 marks were soft science, which is still quite a lot. No soft science should be in there because even if it were only a couple of marks, it implies that students need to study all the useless social impacts and stuff in order to get those couple of marks. That shouldn't be the case.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I am under the impression that if I do bad in Advanced English, they can count my 3U and 4U English units instead since they count best 2 English units, is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)