• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aysce

HSC
I am under the impression that if I do bad in Advanced English, they can count my 3U and 4U English units instead since they count best 2 English units, is this true?
I'm PRETTY sure they take advanced as the 2 english units, even if your marks for 3u and 4u Eng are better. Pretty sure..

starshine02

HSC
I am under the impression that if I do bad in Advanced English, they can count my 3U and 4U English units instead since they count best 2 English units, is this true?
Yeah they count 3u and 4u if you do better in them than advanced.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Haha good, because I'm not doing very good in Advanced but pretty good in 3U and 4U.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm PRETTY sure they take advanced as the 2 english units, even if your marks for 3u and 4u Eng are better. Pretty sure..
It's best 2 units of English. If 3u and 4u are better, they make them your "best 2 units" which are automatically counted.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's best 2 units of English. If 3u and 4u are better, they make them your "best 2 units" which are automatically counted.
Definitely this. It's whatever your best 2units of English happen to be. (Though granted, it is rare for Ex2 candidates to not make at least 3 of their english units count-most have all 4 count).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely this. It's whatever your best 2units of English happen to be. (Though granted, it is rare for Ex2 candidates to not make at least 3 of their english units count-most have all 4 count).
That's why it's so strategic to do EX1 and/or EX2.

Since EX1, EX2 scale higher than Advanced, there's a good chance for only 1 Adv eng unit or 0 Adv eng units to count!

And thing is, I don't think EX1 should be any harder (to a very minimal extent if otherwise) than Adv Eng.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Re: The p00n thread

(there were more female 99.95ers than males for one thing).
Actually for the past few years there have been considerably more male 99.95ers then females. It all evens out across the statistics though, more female state rankers etc.

starshine02

HSC

more guys play sport than girls.

EDIT: not gonna continue arguing as i learnt a valuable lesson. You can never win when arguing with a girl or a gay guy
I was actually gonna agree with that point but then wouldn't girls do other things that guys won't necessarily do?

I do sport twice a week (by myself) and I think that's impressive cos....I don't like sport lol.

But I do other things lol.

Btw are gay guys actually that great at arguments? I've never experienced it before

enoilgam

HSC

Actually for the past few years there have been considerably more male 99.95ers then female. It all evens out across the statistics though, more female state rankers etc.
Really, I thought I read that there were more female 99.95ers this year.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

What commitments do guys have?
We just can't manage our time for jack shit. (dat generalisation)

I dont think that explains the overall trend - I mean, girls do outperform boys in a few catagories (there were more female 99.95ers than males for one thing).
GENERALISATIONS BELOW:

Girls outperform us in terms of hardwork in general.

So thus, they beat us in any rote-heavy subjects like Humanities, Other Non-Sciences/Humanities, Biology and even Chemistry to an extent etc.

They make better use of their creativity.

Effectively, reigning over us in English.

Whereas, Mathematics and Physics does not reward hardworkers as much so this is where they struggle --> the nature of these subjects require great mathematical ability or scientific understanding.

But then again, a girl topped 3U & 4U maths last year and other previous years too.

So in the end, girls who have the natural ability and the dedication = ?????? --> ownage

Does this mean that it's more likely for a girl to have both attributes than a guy?

So basically, hard work is the key when it comes to the best of the best in terms of ability.

iBibah

HSC
Well the internet is also male-dominated, and in my opinion a lot of the appeal that comes from BoS is the strong maths forums where people can ask for help and get quick succinct help and there is a very large quantity of maths resources over any other subject.

some males: video games, sport

most males: laziness

Overall females are more organised and better at sticking with a scheme which is why they do better in the HSC
How do you determine 'better' in the hsc?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Really, I thought I read that there were more female 99.95ers this year.
I just looked it up and it was 17 females and 31 males. Like i said it's pretty considerable, yet year after year the media talk about girls dominating the hsc straight after the first in state awards are announced. All fairly meaningless stats in the grand scheme of things. There are a fair bit more male 4u students, and thus more males doing the "asian four" which would probably explain the amount of 99.95s.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Well the internet is also male-dominated, and in my opinion a lot of the appeal that comes from BoS is the strong maths forums where people can ask for help and get quick succinct help and there is a very large quantity of maths resources over any other subject.
I wonder why.. (let us not go there)

BoS is simply male-dominated because when you look at it... girls probably have better things to do perhaps...

(nah idk)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Add me to the list of future female 99.95ers ;)

Not

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

GENERALISATIONS BELOW:

So thus, they beat us in any rote-heavy subjects like Humanities, Other Non-Sciences/Humanities, Biology and even Chemistry to an extent etc.

Whereas, Mathematics and Physics does not reward hardworkers as much so this is where they struggle --> the nature of these subjects require great mathematical ability or scientific understanding.

But then again, a girl topped 3U & 4U maths last year and other previous years too.

So in the end, girls who have the natural ability and the dedication = ?????? --> ownage

Does this mean that it's more likely for a girl to have both attributes than a guy?

So basically, hard work is the key when it comes to the best of the best in terms of ability.
Dedication is not gender specific.
Its just that the male youth of these days are such fucking hard kunts that they can't act like men and study properly
Instead they act like little boys and become retarded.

I have no doubt that a guy will come first in 4U and 3U maths this year.

Higher ATAR?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Tbh, this is how I see it:

Guys tend to waste their natural talent while

Girls tend to maximise their use of their relatively limited talent/potential.

But in the end, its all generalisation.

starshine02

HSC

GENERALISATIONS BELOW:

Hard work is required for sciences/maths as well though (as hard work doesn't mean rote learning...)

Plus don't rote heavy subjects tend not to scale that well?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Higher ATAR?
Just because ATARs (and internal marks) are based on a rank system it doesn't make the HSC a competition - even though it is often made out to be. The only thing you are "competing" for is places in university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)