Official: 2013 Modern History HSC Exam predictions thread (1 Viewer)

RaspySmurf

HSC
I'm thinking that they would have a question on the arms race,since it was asked in 2011 & 2009 。

maddiestevens

HSC
Anyone have predictions for Russia??? Or Arab Israeli?
For Russia I'm hoping it's on Stalinism as totalitarianism.....

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Having a look at that list, I'd say political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929 are likely to come up. It could be something like "Discuss the key issues faced by the Weimar Republic during the period up until 1929". I'm thinking that the Great Depression could also come up, maybe something like "To what extent was The Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar republic". The wildcard could be something on social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion
Came up in the Independent trial that I did. Amazing question, loved it.

gip213

HSC
N/A
Anyone doing Germany or Conflict in the Pacific- this was a prediction list from the year above me (I graduated 2012), and they predicted 100% of the questions correctly, and I removed their years and also got 100% of the questions I predicted correct.
This hasn't been edited in light of the 2011 and 2012 exams so if you wanna do it yourself, the remaining + some older ones should be really accurate.
BE 100% READY FOR THE FOLLOWING:
– Hitler’s accession to power (FOCUS: NATURE AND ROLE OF NATIONALISM)
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles (FOCUS: NATURE AND ROLE OF NATIONALISM)
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934 (FOCUS: NATURE AND IMPACT OF NAZISM)
– nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939 (FOCUS: AIMS AND IMPACT OF FOREIGN POLICY)
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939 (FOCUS: NATURE AND INFLUENCE OF RACISM)
– social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion (FOCUS: CHANGES IN SOCIETY)

Option C: Germany 1918–1939

Principal focus: Students investigate the key features and issues of the history of Germany 1918–1939.

Key features and issues:
successes and failures of democracy 2006 (half) 2008, 2010
nature and role of nationalism 2006
influence of the German army 2010
nature and influence of racism 2001, 2006
changes in society 2002, 2007
the nature and impact of Nazism 2002
aims and impact of Nazi foreign policy 2007

Students learn about:

1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929 2006, 2007, 2009
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933 2004
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany 2003

2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923 2002, 2009
– Hitler’s accession to power
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934

3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state 2006, 2010
– Nazism as totalitarianism 2005, 2008
– the role of propaganda, terror and repression; SA and SS; opposition to Nazism 2002, 2009
– social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion 2003, 2007
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939 2001 2006

4 Nazi foreign policy
– nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939
– impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939 2007

HIGH CHANCES:
To what extent did Japanese foreign policy contribute to Growth in Tensions in the Pacific
(This means you have to cover US & British policies too, as it is a ‘extent’ question)
(or vice versa if US & British policies is asked)
To what extent did imperialism contribute to Growth in Tensions in the Pacific
Impact of the war in Occupied Territories in South-East Asia
This could have two focuses, or even possibly combine the two. Id be prepared for both:
social, political and economic effects on civilians
collaboration and resistance, the use of slave labour
Reasons for the Japanese defeat
Course of the Pacific war with focuses on:
Battle of Coral sea
Battle of Guadalcanal, New Guinea (most likely not a full essay on these, but could be referenced)
Japanese and Allied strategies

Principal focus: Students investigate key features and issues in the history of the conflict in the Pacific 1937–1951.

Key features and issues:
imperialism and responses to it 2002, 2001
nature and impact of nationalism 2009, 2004
Japanese and Allied strategies 2008, 2005
impact of the war on the home fronts of Japan and Australia 2010, 2002
impact of the war in Occupied Territories in South-East Asia 2007, 2005
use of the A-bomb 2009, 2004
reasons for the Japanese defeat 2006, 2003, 2001
aims and consequences of the Allied Occupation of Japan 2008, 2006, 2003

Students learn about:

1 Growth of Pacific tensions
– economic and political issues in the Pacific by 1937
– Japanese foreign policy 1937–1941 2002
– US and British policies in the Pacific 1937–1941
– strategic and political reasons for bombing Pearl Harbour 2009

2 Course of the Pacific War
– Japanese advance 1941–1942 and the impact of the fall of the Philippines, Singapore, Burma and the Dutch East Indies 2001
– turning points in the war: Battle of the Coral Sea 2007, Battle of Midway2010, 2003 , Battle of Guadalcanal, New Guinea
– strategies used by Allied forces against Japan 1942–1945 2008, 2005

3 Civilians at war

– social, political and economic effects on civilians in occupied territories in
South-East Asia 2007, 2005, 2001
– life under Occupation: collaboration and resistance, the use of slave labour,2005
– the effect of the war on the home fronts in Japan and Australia 2010, 2002

4 End of the conflict
– reasons for the use of the A-bomb and the subsequent controversy over its use 2009, 2004
– reasons for the Japanese defeat 2006
– War Crimes Tribunals and the status of the Emperor 2008
– Allied Occupation of Japan to 1951 2006, 2008, 2003
*I take no responsibility if you fail your HSC because of me*
Sorry for the long post!

jananee

HSC
Russia: Really want Stalinism as totalitarianism but they may ask a foreign policy question since that hasn't been done in a while

maddiestevens

HSC
yeah foreign policy was last year. i think they might have something on the purges or totalitarianism..

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I love the questions on Weimar Germany in the exam

they are essentially the same every year

Kowther

HSC
National study (Germany): Hitler's consolidation of power, life in the Nazi state or the depression
Personality study: Something to do with their ambition/desire
Conflict in Europe: Causes of conflict or appeasement

ncoul

HSC
I've never studied the fourth dot point for Germany or Indochina and considering one of last year's Germany questions was about foreign policy, I should be fine.

Germany - Totalitarianism or consolidation; Really hope it's Weimar failings or 'Volksgemeinschaft' though
Indochina - Probably the latter half of the topic (Reasons for communist victory; Media, Vietnamisation), but I'm much better with nationalism/communism questions so i really hope it's either of those too.

PakZilla

HSC
I've never studied the fourth dot point for Germany or Indochina and considering one of last year's Germany questions was about foreign policy, I should be fine.

Germany - Totalitarianism or consolidation; Really hope it's Weimar failings or 'Volksgemeinschaft' though
Indochina - Probably the latter half of the topic (Reasons for communist victory; Media, Vietnamisation), but I'm much better with nationalism/communism questions so i really hope it's either of those too.
possibles qs ----------thoughts ?
Assess the consequences of the Geneva peace agreements on north and South Vietnam.
To what extent can the result of the second Indochina war be explained by the strategies and tactics employed by both sides.
What role did nationalism play in influencing the nature and outcome of the second Indochina war?
How did attempts at peace making influence events during the second Indochina war.
Explain why U.S policy in Indochina developed as it did between 1954-1975
Assess the impact of Pol Pots regime on Cambodia.

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Guys, any more predictions for: Russia and the Soviet Union, and Conflict in Indochina?

Here are my predictions:

Russia-
1. Possibly something to do with the "Bolshevik social and political reforms, Significance of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk OR Civil War/War Communism" seeing as 2010 was NEP, 2011- Lenin's role in consolidation, 2012- practice over Communist theory (ideologies).

2. OR for the Stalin section of the syllabus: Stalinism as totalitarianism or the power struggle, reasons for triumph- potentially collectivisation/industrialisation. My bet is - totalitarianism :)

Indochina:
1. For the first section of the syllabus: Either Geneva Peace Agreement, or political, social, military developments.
2. US part: political and social issues by 1960, nature of US policy
3. Second Indochina War: Could be a repeat of 2010 strategies/ tactics, but more likely- impact of anti-war movements, Tet Offensive etc. As they have yet to ask anything like that.

Then again it could be Pol Pot and spread to Cambodia, however they did ask about the Khmer Rouge in 2010.

:)

jeffyjojo

third eye
HSC
N/A
Im praying for something on Weimar
AND
for conflict im hoping causes

SOMEONE GIVE ME ASSURANCE :hug2:

sj20

HSC
For Germany, is it pretty standard that one question will be on Weimar and one will be on Nazi? Or not necessarily?

jeffyjojo

third eye
HSC
N/A
For Germany, is it pretty standard that one question will be on Weimar and one will be on Nazi? Or not necessarily?
apparently not! last year it was Hitler's rise and Foreign policy :spzz:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)