Year 11 2014 Chat :) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Apologies for the shitty assumption :(

I was just wondering why your confidence had decreased to an extent that you would lower your ATAR aim.
I think he doesn't want to elaborate :p

Examine

same
HSC
Uhh, USYD or MQ or UNSW. Why ask?
Although I don't know why you changed your atar aim, imo you should make your aim correlate with what degree you want to study (because in the end that really is what getting an ATAR is all about, making it into your desired course). In the end Macquarie is pretty good for psychology (for a little while I did a bit of research into the field since I was contemplating choosing it as a career path) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the MQ cutoff your atar aim (unless you have 4+ guaranteed bonus points and in that case ignore this message). :p

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Although I don't know why you changed your atar aim, imo you should make your aim correlate with what degree you want to study (because in the end that really is what getting an ATAR is all about, making it into your desired course). In the end Macquarie is pretty good for psychology (for a little while I did a bit of research into the field since I was contemplating choosing it as a career path) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the MQ cutoff your atar aim (unless you have 4+ guaranteed bonus points and in that case ignore this message). :p
Unfortunately, you can only get bonus points for psychology at UNSW.

Examine

same
HSC
:eek:

Why did you not end up choosing psychology?
It was a career that popped in my mind (along with teaching) when I was having doubts about doing Commerce. Also I thought along with being somewhat interested in the field because the ATAR cutoff was so high it might have motivated my lazy ass to study mainly because I decided to cruise the hsc after getting a half yearly estimate and knowing the cutoff for my course would be 91ish.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
It was a career that popped in my mind (along with teaching) when I was having doubts about doing Commerce. Also I thought along with being somewhat interested in the field because the ATAR cutoff was so high it might have motivated my lazy ass to study mainly because I decided to cruise the hsc after getting a half yearly estimate and knowing the cutoff for my course would be 91ish.
That's why I decided to reduce my ATAR aim a bit, because tbh, getting 95+ is beyond my abilities as a student, considering I did shit in Years 7-10.

Examine

same
HSC
That's why I decided to reduce my ATAR aim a bit, because tbh, getting 95+ is beyond my abilities as a student, considering I did shit in Years 7-10.
There are many people in your position. Like during the last part of the hsc I thought I'd get 93-95 (in year 10 it looked like I would have been lucky to even get 85-90), loversinjapan thought she'd get 95ish, and albertcamus (not sure if you know him or not) thought he'd get 91-93, and we ended up getting quite a bit over that. The problem with underestimating your atar aim is that I find you end up doing less work in the process (for example, I catered my study habits to make sure i'd get 93+, but never anything more) and in your case where 94ish is needed for your course I think that it might be problematic.

From what I've seen though I (as with other people) really do think you have the potential to get a higher ATAR, but in the end it's your choice. Just make sure you get into your desired course. :)

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
There are many people in your position. Like during the last part of the hsc I thought I'd get 93-95 (in year 10 it looked like I would have been lucky to even get 90), loversinjapan thought she'd get 95ish, and albertcamus (not sure if you know him or not) thought he'd get 91-93, and we ended up getting quite a bit over that. The problem with underestimating your atar aim is that I find you end up doing less work in the process (for example, I catered my study habits to make sure i'd get 93+, but never anything more) and in your case where 94ish is needed for your course I think that it might be problematic.

From what I've seen though I (as with other people) really do think you have the potential to get a higher ATAR, but in the end it's your choice. Just make sure you get into your desired course. :)
Good to hear that you guys achieved your goals!

You're one of the many people who actually believes in me - lots of my friends doubt my ability since they think I'm not deemed 'smart' which IMO is bullshit because at the end of the day, it's about how much effort you're willing to invest in to reach your goal.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
that is no indicator of how u might go in the hsc

Examine

same
HSC
Good to hear that you guys achieved your goals!

You're one of the many people who actually believes in me - lots of my friends doubt my ability since they think I'm not deemed 'smart' which IMO is bullshit because at the end of the day, it's about how much effort you're willing to invest in to reach your goal.
I honestly know where you're coming from. From year 9-10 I was practically out of the top 30-40 for all of my subjects except electives such as Commerce (not too big cohorts and I found the content interesting), Maths (can't remember my exact rank in year 10, but I remember during half yearlies in year 9 I was in the low 20s), and PE (flunked the actual physical activity part but got marks for swimming/cross country or something, and somehow found the theory straightforward) at a mid 100s school. So naturally when I told people I wanted to do Commerce at UNSW they didn't think I'd get the ATAR to do so (we even had this career choice thing and the careers advisor told me given my current marks I should be aiming for something more achievable).

But in the end I think the most important thing is to believe in your own abilities to achieve your atar aim to get into your desired course. I mean, in the end it's all up to you anyway.

Examine

same
HSC
cos studying dynamics in year 7-10 are radically different to year 11 and 12
I do agree with this though I think with some subjects such as Maths and English year 7-10 really builds the foundations that would make year 11-12 quite a lot easier.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I do agree with this though I think with some subjects such as Maths and English year 7-10 really builds the foundations that would make year 11-12 quite a lot easier.
I really regret not putting in effort for maths as I was in 5.2 and now I'm doing 2U which is a bit hard, but I'm coping well nonetheless.

English was terrible though as the teachers didn't really explain properly the structure of essays and how to compose a creative writing, they just pretty much rushed through the whole process.

Examine

same
HSC
I really regret not putting in effort for maths as I was in 5.2 and now I'm doing 2U which is a bit hard, but I'm coping well nonetheless.

English was terrible though as the teachers didn't really explain properly the structure of essays and how to compose a creative writing, they just pretty much rushed through the whole process.
Dw, I only realised that you were supposed to use more than 1 quote per paragraph for an English essay (I usually had 4 paragraphs hahah) after year 11 yearlies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)