does you wam get reset if you transfer through UAC programs and faculties? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If you change unis then yeah it resets but if its an internal course transfer then no.

jeann2014

HSC
but if i apply through UAC it won't reset? i keep hearing diff things :(

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
tbh I don't see why it would reset. You are going to the same uni and so the marking standard will be the same.

The reason it resets when you change unis is because the uni doesn't think the marking standards are the same.

jeann2014

HSC
See the bottom
Also I want to count 3 out of
My 4 courses to my new degree

HSC
Uni Grad
Afaik if you change to a completely different degree (i.e. from commerce to B science), then yes, it will reset. (Mine got reset btw)

But if you're changing from say, Engineering (civil) to engineering (petroleum), then your wam won't change.

jeann2014

HSC
Afaik if you change to a completely different degree (i.e. from commerce to B science), then yes, it will reset. (Mine got reset btw)

But if you're changing from say, Engineering (civil) to engineering (petroleum), then your wam won't change.

thanks for that :) what about switching between 2 combined degrees, but both with commerce as a component of it. and applying externally not IPT doesn't make a diff?

D94

HSC
N/A
No, what that is saying is courses where you apply for credit transfer won't display a mark and grade on the transcript. It does not directly imply your WAM will be reset. For example, students who did HS1917 (COMP1917 equivalent in high school) will be given credit (not the grade) for doing that course, so the course will appear on their transcript, but no mark and no grade will appear. Therefore since there is no mark and no grade, it doesn't get added to the WAM for obvious reasons. It will, however, count towards their degree. The same concept applies for students who go on exchange. They don't get a grade or mark, but having done the equivalent course, they can attain credit transfer for doing that course.

Presumably you applied via UAC? If so, then it's either your WAM gets reset or it doesn't. It should not be a case by case basis as you have described. Therefore, since you claim your WAM was reset, then transfers via UAC will mean WAMs get reset.

HSC
Uni Grad
Presumably you applied via UAC? If so, then it's either your WAM gets reset or it doesn't. It should not be a case by case basis as you have described. Therefore, since you claim your WAM was reset, then transfers via UAC will mean WAMs get reset.
Nope, I didn't apply through UAC, in fact I applied through IPT and they STILL reset my WAM.

Iirc it should only be if you're transferring to a different faculty, then they will reset WAM, but if you're transferring within the same faculty then probably not. But don't take my word for it yet. Mine COULD just be case by case basis.

D94

HSC
N/A
Nope, I didn't apply through UAC, in fact I applied through IPT and they STILL reset my WAM.

Iirc it should only be if you're transferring to a different faculty, then they will reset WAM, but if you're transferring within the same faculty then probably not. But don't take my word for it yet. Mine COULD just be case by case basis.
This is interesting. I did an internal transfer from Mech/Science to Mech (yes, I had to transfer, I couldn't simply ask them to drop the Science degree at any time), and all my courses and marks, as well as WAM are still on my transcript. However, I transferred at the end of last year so I don't have any marks for this year yet, so I can't really tell if my WAM gets reset, as in, I get a separate WAM for just Mech.

Do any of your previous marks appear on your transcript?

HSC
Uni Grad
This is interesting. I did an internal transfer from Mech/Science to Mech (yes, I had to transfer, I couldn't simply ask them to drop the Science degree at any time), and all my courses and marks, as well as WAM are still on my transcript. However, I transferred at the end of last year so I don't have any marks for this year yet, so I can't really tell if my WAM gets reset, as in, I get a separate WAM for just Mech.

Do any of your previous marks appear on your transcript?
My previous marks still appear on my transcript but they didn't count to my wam, surprisingly. Yet ECON1101, MATH1151/1251 still count as part of the degree I'm doing, yet it's still not listed as a part of my WAM.

D94

HSC
N/A
My previous marks still appear on my transcript but they didn't count to my wam, surprisingly. Yet ECON1101, MATH1151/1251 still count as part of the degree I'm doing, yet it's still not listed as a part of my WAM.
That is strange. The only reason that I can think of, which you said, was that you transferred to a different Faculty for the administration of your degree. But this still shouldn't really affect your WAM is your Weighted Average Mark, so it should really take into consideration all your marks, regardless of your internal transfer.

I transferred from Mech/Science to Mech via IPT, and this is what it says on my transcript:

The two WAMs are the same, all my marks are there, so nothing has really changed except the program name and code. I would question your transcript (i.e. ask your School), if that had happened to me.

jameeeesto

HSC
That is strange. The only reason that I can think of, which you said, was that you transferred to a different Faculty for the administration of your degree. But this still shouldn't really affect your WAM is your Weighted Average Mark, so it should really take into consideration all your marks, regardless of your internal transfer.

I transferred from Mech/Science to Mech via IPT, and this is what it says on my transcript:

The two WAMs are the same, all my marks are there, so nothing has really changed except the program name and code. I would question your transcript (i.e. ask your School), if that had happened to me.
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/WAM.html

"If you have been given transfer credit for courses previously studied (either at UNSW or at another institution), then the grades for those courses will not appear on your transcript under your new program. Therefore they will not be included in the calculation of your WAM."

Can anyone make sense of these? So if you transfer degrees your credits will be counted yet your WAM will be unaffected by the marks you attain them?

Then why would there be a WAM requirement for IPT but then after you transfer suddenly those subjects aren't counted towards your WAM?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/WAM.html

"If you have been given transfer credit for courses previously studied (either at UNSW or at another institution), then the grades for those courses will not appear on your transcript under your new program. Therefore they will not be included in the calculation of your WAM."

Can anyone make sense of these? So if you transfer degrees your credits will be counted yet your WAM will be unaffected by the marks you attain them?

Then why would there be a WAM requirement for IPT but then after you transfer suddenly those subjects aren't counted towards your WAM?
I responded above:
No, what that is saying is courses where you apply for credit transfer won't display a mark and grade on the transcript. It does not directly imply your WAM will be reset. For example, students who did HS1917 (COMP1917 equivalent in high school) will be given credit (not the grade) for doing that course, so the course will appear on their transcript, but no mark and no grade will appear. Therefore since there is no mark and no grade, it doesn't get added to the WAM for obvious reasons. It will, however, count towards their degree. The same concept applies for students who go on exchange. They don't get a grade or mark, but having done the equivalent course, they can attain credit transfer for doing that course.

bobz360

HSC
N/A
If I'm doing my first year and planning to transfer to a different program+faculty mid-year, will that mean I can transfer credits from my first semester subjects but when I start second semester it will be counted as credits but my WAM will start be unaffected by first semester subject grades (in other words like I was starting my first day at uni)?

D94

HSC
N/A
If I'm doing my first year and planning to transfer to a different program+faculty mid-year, will that mean I can transfer credits from my first semester subjects but when I start second semester it will be counted as credits but my WAM will start be unaffected by first semester subject grades (in other words like I was starting my first day at uni)?
Well that's the discussion we are having right now. According to 4025808, his WAM was reset and he had courses which count towards his new program. You can always transfer credits for your courses that are relevant to your new program, but there is conjecture as to why the WAM gets reset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)