Higher Level Integration Marathon & Questions (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Extracurricular Integration Marathon

Is this apart of Matrices ? Doesn't seem to hard :p So can we treat one of the changing functions as a constant while we integrate the 'flat' part ?
Typically it's taught in an first course in vector calculus, not linear algebra where matrices tend to live.

The initial treatments tend to be highly elementary in nature and are very much as you have described above. A Year 11 student could compute some double integrals, simply treating them as a "2 questions in 1" style problem.

However, the difficulty usually comes in the construction of the integral and then spotting clever substitutions/manipulations to invoke Fubini or something that will help simplify the computation.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Typically it's taught in an first course in vector calculus, not linear algebra where matrices tend to live.

The initial treatments tend to be highly elementary in nature and are very much as you have described above. A Year 11 student could compute some double integrals, simply treating them as a "2 questions in 1" style problem.

However, the difficulty usually comes in the construction of the integral and then spotting clever substitutions/manipulations to invoke Fubini or something that will help simplify the computation.
Like the first question on this marathon ? Thanks Carrot!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Like the first question on this marathon ? Thanks Carrot!
Pretty much. Though for that question we'd use a combination of the polar and cartesian systems to evaluate it.

In the Volumes problem Q14 of 2014 BOS Trials Extension 2, I provided a VERY brief glimpse into evaluating that integral via double integration (Cartesian).

leehuan

HSC

I think I ignored all the volumes questions in the BoS trials...they looked scarier than inequalities and mechanics...

Drsoccerball

HSC

Pretty much. Though for that question we'd use a combination of the polar and cartesian systems to evaluate it.

In the Volumes problem Q14 of 2014 BOS Trials Extension 2, I provided a VERY brief glimpse into evaluating that integral via double integration (Cartesian).
Yes, I didn't even pick that up when Sy123 did it for us :p

leehuan

HSC

Also, this was a perplexing question for a Q2...

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Prove the following result:

Also, looking for real methods of proving the above. I have seen the complex method, but that's not helpful since I don't know anything about complex analysis yet.

leehuan

HSC

Nothing Extracurricular about this. Just tedious.
You forget that when they give it as cosh the HSC students don't know what it is.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

You forget that when they give it as cosh the HSC students don't know what it is.
That's just information. The difficulty of the integral is completely within the realms of the HSC.

leehuan

HSC

That's just information. The difficulty of the integral is completely within the realms of the HSC.
You'd have to define cosh(x) if this were to be put in the MX2 integration marathon.

Of course, if this was done in advance then I'd agree with what you mean by difficulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)